The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pn94
Manquillo is a no brainer for me too but Rodgers seems to have an obsession with Johnson.

Big game though. Lose/draw and Utd, Everton, Spurs, Arsenal could all be ahead of us at the end of the weekend. The season's young but we still don't want that. Win and we pick up some momentum going into some easier fixtures.

+ another Utd win combined with another Liverpool loss will result in an unbearable media jizzfest.

i know, his obsession is what worries me - johnson has shown consistently that he isn't good enough.
maybe you could argue that before we didn't really have much better, but now that justification is out the window.

precisely; i don't think we'll keep a CS but we should win.
don't care how we do it, but 3 points is a must - i'd take another Ludogrets finale if i had to.
one good thing though is that city and/or chelsea will definitely be dropping points this week, so we can either catch up to chelsea or jump over city if we get our points.

exactly, it's united i don't want to leapfrog us more than anybody else - they were so gassed after beating the worst team in the league (no offence united fans); imagine how it would be if they overtook us...
the only thing we have going for us is that united have had such easy games in these first few months that from october onwards almost every other game is against a quality side that could beat them.

Original post by Mackay
Prepare the eulogies, lads.

Original post by AR_95
RIP in pieces Mackay.

was gonna ask SUG to do it Mackay.
he has such a way with words.
I don't see why Johnson should be put in ahead of Manquillo just because he's fit again. :lolwut:

Manquillo has been solid defensively for us in the past few games and he's also been a good attacking threat. He deserves to stay in the team until he's either injured or he loses form/struggles.

I'll be so pissed off if Johnson starts.
united have leicester and west ham, then from october they have fixtures like this:

everton H
west brom A
chelsea H
city A
palace H
arsenal A
hull H
stoke H
soton A
liverpool H
villa A
newcastle H
spurs A

bolded all rivals but some other games could be tough like soton and villa away if they keep playing as they are.
they have to play 6 games against rivals in their remaining 13 games; if they hit form it won't matter, but it shows just how lucky they have been fixture wise so far, something they really haven't taken advantage of.
consecutive chelsea and city games will be rough - was very hard on us when we had 2 losses in a row last season
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio

exactly, it's united i don't want to leapfrog us more than anybody else - they were so gassed after beating the worst team in the league (no offence united fans)

Based on what? 4 games, 2 were heavy defeats against top teams who played well, 2 were against opposition closer to their level and they won one 1-0 and lost one 1-0.

Palace or Burnley are the worst for me.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Based on what? 4 games, 2 were heavy defeats against top teams who played well, 2 were against opposition closer to their level and they won one 1-0 and lost one 1-0.

nah man QPR are the worst.
fair play to them that they got a win, but just watching their overall play; it's painfully bad.

palace have premier league experience and are decent under the right manager; they can play well as a team.
burnley are perhaps closer to QPR's level but their fixtures haven't been the kindest
had to play chelsea, swansea, united in their first 3 games.
QPR's weren't THAT much easier, but they have conceded 10 goals in 4 games so far...

not saying you shouldn't be happy that you won 4-0 because you played really well as a team.
but how much of a test was it really?
if you look at my post above, you'll soon have your testing period.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
nah man QPR are the worst.
fair play to them that they got a win, but just watching their overall play; it's painfully bad.

not saying you shouldn't be happy that you won 4-0 because you played really well as a team.
but how much of a test was it really?
if you look at my post above, you'll soon have your testing period.

Yeah, we shouldn't get too excited because they are awful. I was just making a tangential point that they're not the worst imo, probably 3rd worst after the two I said.

It's cool by that time we'll be merking it
Yeah, we shouldn't get too excited because they are awful. I was just making a tangential point that they're not the worst imo, probably 3rd worst after the two I said.

It's cool by that time we'll be merking it

see edit, i made a few more points

as i said above, if you get a rhythm and build momentum you'll be a fierce team.
however you have defensive problems and you will have them until january.
tactics will help - switching to a back 4 would be much better, but you can't instantly improve the poor quality of some of your defensive players.
Reply 2447

Does it not upset you that you are justifying your win against QPR as not beating the worst team but the 3rd worst team?
Original post by kuks
Does it not upset you that you are justifying your win against QPR as not beating the worst team but the 3rd worst team?

If you tried reading a bit more you'd see I acknowledged that they're awful... my point was unrelated to United.
QPR are easily the joint worst team in the league with Burnley.
I don't really care about Man Utd at this point. Let's see where we roughly are after 19 games and then we can start thinking about who will finish where.

Johnson must do something right if Rodgers loves him :colondollar:

I love that we play every few days now - I've missed this :biggrin:
Original post by Lúcio
see edit, i made a few more points

as i said above, if you get a rhythm and build momentum you'll be a fierce team.
however you have defensive problems and you will have them until january.
tactics will help - switching to a back 4 would be much better, but you can't instantly improve the poor quality of some of your defensive players.

Everyone can say what they like about our defence and exaggerate all they want (not attacking you I know it's been said loads on the forum as a whole and in media), but bottom line when everyone is fit our defence is NOWHERE near what people are making out.

It's because we have strengthened our previously awful midfield so much now so have alot quality in attack and midfield, that rival fans have to counter it by saying 'yeah but your defence is absolutely awful!!' and that is based upon what, 3 games at the start of the season playing a unknown formation with a half fit team? We have since added Rojo and Shaw who have only played 90 mins between them and I think will be excellent.

Yes I appreciate it's our weakest of the three areas and not on Chelseas quality for example but Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw is a solid (not excellent, but solid) back four and that is what will be played this season when everyone is fit. Smalling/Evans/Blackett can be a back up in CB for Jones when injured and will do a job. I would think another CB will come in in the next 12 months to take it from solid to excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hayles101
Everyone can say what they like about our defence and exaggerate all they want (not attacking you I know it's been said loads on the forum as a whole and in media), but bottom line when everyone is fit our defence is NOWHERE near what people are making out.

It's because we have strengthened our previously awful midfield so much now so have alot quality in attack and midfield, that rival fans have to counter it by saying 'yeah but your defence is absolutely awful!!' and that is based upon what, 3 games at the start of the season playing a unknown formation with a half fit team? We have since added Rojo and Shaw who have only played 90 mins between them and I think will be excellent.

Yes I appreciate it's our weakest of the three areas and not on Chelseas quality for example but Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw is a solid (not excellent, but solid) back four and that is what will be played this season when everyone is fit. Smalling/Evans/Blackett can be a back up in CB for Jones when injured and will do a job. I would think another CB will come in in the next 12 months to take it from solid to excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a pretty poor defence. Lot of "potential" but I think you're in for a painful season. That's not to say they can't be great in 2-5 years.
QPR are the worst team in the League. United can suck my dick, they're not finishing top four

Anyway onto more important things, I really hope Johnson don't start, we have the Carling Cup game on Tuesday he can play then. Balo is growing in confidence and I can see a gaol from him today. You'd expect Coutinho to be dropped with Lucas coming in. And then Borini for Lallana hopefully, who clearly isn't up to scratch yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do agree to an extent.
I mean shaw is competent enough and rafael can hold his own in general (neither are AMAZING)
It's more your CBs that are the issue
Rojo is no saving grace, and whoever partners him isn't really gonna be up to scratch compared to what you need.
Jones is your best option there, but I wouldn't be totally confident with rojo and jones in CB
Blackett/smalling/Evans are absolutely nowhere near good enough quality; your problem lies with when one of those previously mentioned back 4 is out through injury/suspension/fatigue

I do agree though that people focus on your defence because your attack is so good now, in a means to make themselves feel better about your ridiculously strong quality going forward.

As Zerf said, your defence has potential but you don't need potential right now, you need consistency and solidity.
But regardless, let's wait until the 10 game mark and see how things look then :smile:
Original post by Deshi
QPR are the worst team in the League. United can suck my dick, they're not finishing top four

Anyway onto more important things, I really hope Johnson don't start, we have the Carling Cup game on Tuesday he can play then. Balo is growing in confidence and I can see a gaol from him today. You'd expect Coutinho to be dropped with Lucas coming in. And then Borini for Lallana hopefully, who clearly isn't up to scratch yet

Sorry but your deluding yourself with this QPR BS. It is not because of that game that people are saying United will get top 4 (I believe top 3), and you know it.

If you look at the manager and the squad after the summers overhaul, then you will see why people are being positive now and saying we'll get top 4 at the very least (the bookies actually have us currently as finishing above Liverpool and Arsenal in betting odds so your clearly in the minority)

Tbh it's pure bitterness that you sit and say four games into the season 'theres absolutely no chance United are getting top 4.' Even your own fans aren't speaking like that and appreciate how difficult it's going to be this year.

What if I think Liverpool won't finish in the top 4, would I go as far as saying it definitely isn't happening? No chance. There is no guarantees for anyone but Chelsea IMO. We're four games in FFS anything could happen.

Inb4 United's defence are dreadful

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry but your deluding yourself with this QPR BS. It is not because of that game that people are saying United will get top 4 (I believe top 3), and you know it.

If you look at the manager and the squad after the summers overhaul, then you will see why people are being positive now and saying we'll get top 4 at the very least (the bookies actually have us currently as finishing above Liverpool and Arsenal in betting odds so your clearly in the minority)

Tbh it's pure bitterness that you sit and say four games into the season 'theres absolutely no chance United are getting top 4.' Even your own fans aren't speaking like that and appreciate how difficult it's going to be this year.

What if I think Liverpool won't finish in the top 4, would I go as far as saying it definitely isn't happening? No chance. There is no guarantees for anyone but Chelsea IMO. We're four games in FFS anything could happen.

Inb4 United's defence are dreadful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Deshi

Seriously i dont think anyone has better memes than you :rofl:
Sorry but your deluding yourself with this QPR BS. It is not because of that game that people are saying United will get top 4 (I believe top 3), and you know it.<br />
<br />
If you look at the manager and the squad after the summers overhaul, then you will see why people are being positive now and saying we'll get top 4 at the very least (the bookies actually have us currently as finishing above Liverpool and Arsenal in betting odds so your clearly in the minority)<br />
<br />
Tbh it's pure bitterness that you sit and say four games into the season 'theres absolutely no chance United are getting top 4.' Even your own fans aren't speaking like that and appreciate how difficult it's going to be this year.<br />
<br />
What if I think Liverpool won't finish in the top 4, would I go as far as saying it definitely isn't happening? No chance. There is no guarantees for anyone but Chelsea IMO. We're four games in FFS anything could happen.<br />
<br />
Inb4 United's defence are dreadful <br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br />
<br />

No point arguing Hayles. Its the Liverpool thread.
Lol United's defence is poor. They only have a good goals conceded record because they've been struggling for goals(bar for QPR who are the worst in the league) and the teams they've faced bar for Swansea who they lost to are the most likely candidates for relegation.

One of United or Arsenal will miss out.

Quick Reply

Latest