The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

got a bad bad feeling about this game..

Agree with above - mourinho will be well up for this, and honestly I can see them going all out looking for a response after the last 2 terrible performances..

4-1 chelsea for me.

Will be cheering for you lot though - still want to see gerrad lift a trophy before he leaves.. and the FA cup is ours, so you may as well win this one..
Original post by fallen_acorns
got a bad bad feeling about this game..

Agree with above - mourinho will be well up for this, and honestly I can see them going all out looking for a response after the last 2 terrible performances..

4-1 chelsea for me.

Will be cheering for you lot though - still want to see gerrad lift a trophy before he leaves.. and the FA cup is ours, so you may as well win this one..

I see a red card in this game but can't decide who will get given it.

I wonder if Mourinho will give any thought to playing Man City in 4 days? Let's not forget that Man City had a bad result against Boro and Arsenal so they will want to smash Chelsea too.

I doubt either manager wants to play the extra 30 mins..
Original post by Zerforax
I see a red card in this game but can't decide who will get given it.

I wonder if Mourinho will give any thought to playing Man City in 4 days? Let's not forget that Man City had a bad result against Boro and Arsenal so they will want to smash Chelsea too.

I doubt either manager wants to play the extra 30 mins..

Have a feeling Chelsea/City will be a boring game, with both sides preferring not to lose and halting their bad run over winning. Especially if Chelsea lose tonight which is more than possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nichrome
Chelsea are less likely to park the bus at home anyway, plus the bus didn't work too well at Anfield - basically Thibaut bailed out the rest of the team. With Chelsea's out of form defence, conceding 4+ should be on the cards, especially if Sturridge is back.

Good point. Don't see us winning this game now. We are horribly out of form and have been since the sunderland game. The warning signs are there.

Would love to be proven wrong but I think Liverpool will score 3 goals without reply.
Original post by sr90
Have a feeling Chelsea/City will be a boring game, with both sides preferring not to lose and halting their bad run over winning. Especially if Chelsea lose tonight which is more than possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea I think you're right. Chelsea won't want City to catch up and City won't want to fall further back which leads to a dull game.. I'd say City have a harder run to the end of the season so it would make more sense for them to go for it though.
Yea I think you're right. Chelsea won't want City to catch up and City won't want to fall further back which leads to a dull game.. I'd say City have a harder run to the end of the season so it would make more sense for them to go for it though.

They have to go for it. If Chelsea win they're 8 points ahead (effectively 9 because of GD) and that's the title race over. You would expect Southampton. United & Arsenal to all win their games this weekend too so they will have a fight on their hands to even finish 2nd.
City will get 2nd no problem.

Soton you don't see an implosion as they only have top 4 to aim for now no cup runs. At worse they'll finish 5th or 6th.

Liverpool well you'll have to see, you require a good run of form but I still think you can finish 3rd.
Original post by jam277
City will get 2nd no problem.

Soton you don't see an implosion as they only have top 4 to aim for now no cup runs. At worse they'll finish 5th or 6th.

Liverpool well you'll have to see, you require a good run of form but I still think you can finish 3rd.

So who do you think is dropping out?

At the moment I think:

Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal
Man Utd
Southampton
Liverpool
West Ham
Spurs

At the moment I think:

Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal
Man Utd
Southampton
Liverpool
West Ham
Spurs

Man City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man United
Southampton
Spurs
Chelsea
West Ham

should be how the table ends up.

At the moment I think:

Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal
Man Utd
Southampton
Liverpool
West Ham
Spurs

Swap United and Southampton and thats how i think the table will look like at the end of the season at this moment in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Swap United and Southampton and thats how i think the table will look like at the end of the season at this moment in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just think Southampton's lack of experience will catch up to them when the pressure really hits.

They've still got to play Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton all away from home.
Original post by Nichrome
Man City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man United
Southampton
Spurs
Chelsea
West Ham

should be how the table ends up.

Yeah something like that.

Maybe swap United with Southampton.
Liverpool have taken 11 points from a possible 33 without Lucas in the starting line-up this season, 24 from a possible 33 with.
Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United and Southampton will be the top five, in that order.

After that it's anyone's guess. If Liverpool & Spurs carry on in the cup competitions it will inevitably affect their league form, but there isn't anyone good enough to overtake them. West Ham's next 7 games are horrendous and they will probably be well off the pace by then, and Swansea seem to be going the way of Newcastle last season (sell best player = completely implode).
Can see Stoke and Everton eventually finishing above Swansea. Can't see them getting into the top half now they've sold Bony personally.
Original post by Mackay
Liverpool have taken 11 points from a possible 33 without Lucas in the starting line-up this season, 24 from a possible 33 with.

That's a ridiculous statistic. Obviously doesn't take into account other injuries and what games we played but that's a huge difference.

Original post by sr90
Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United and Southampton will be the top five, in that order.

After that it's anyone's guess. If Liverpool & Spurs carry on in the cup competitions it will inevitably affect their league form, but there isn't anyone good enough to overtake them. West Ham's next 7 games are horrendous and they will probably be well off the pace by then, and Swansea seem to be going the way of Newcastle last season (sell best player = completely implode).

I think by the end of Feb we'll know if Southampton will finish in the top 5 or not. Should be an interesting few weeks.

Original post by Mackay
Can see Stoke and Everton eventually finishing above Swansea. Can't see them getting into the top half now they've sold Bony personally.

Everton are pretty bad this season. They've just sold Eto'o and nothing seems to be working right for Martinez. They've only kept 4 clean sheets and have conceded the same number of goals as Leicester have this season.

It's delicious :colondollar:
That's a ridiculous statistic. Obviously doesn't take into account other injuries and what games we played but that's a huge difference.

Everton are pretty bad this season. They've just sold Eto'o and nothing seems to be working right for Martinez. They've only kept 4 clean sheets and have conceded the same number of goals as Leicester have this season.

It's delicious :colondollar:

Yeah, it was baffling to see him linked with a move away. Really glad he seems to be staying - though he admits in an interview in The Guardian today that he'd be tempted for a new challenge if Rafa came in for him. Not surprising given their relationship. Hope we can get him tied down.

I dunno, they are poor but I can't help but think they'll turn it around soon with the players they've got. Could be wrong, of course!
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, it was baffling to see him linked with a move away. Really glad he seems to be staying - though he admits in an interview in The Guardian today that he'd be tempted for a new challenge if Rafa came in for him. Not surprising given their relationship. Hope we can get him tied down.

I dunno, they are poor but I can't help but think they'll turn it around soon with the players they've got. Could be wrong, of course!

Well he hadn't been playing much under Rodgers through last season and the start of this year.

I think his comment is more about how a strong relationship can be important - I don't think Rodgers' has really tried to build a strong relationship with Lucas. Imo he should be making him either captain or vice-captain with Gerrard going in the summer.

Here's the link to the Guardian article if others haven't read it - it's a good read.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/26/liverpool-lucas-leiva-capital-one-cup-chelsea

Most interesting part for me:

Lucas admits: “I had a few problems after the injury and it is probably now that I am feeling my best in terms of sharpness and the way I want to play. The issues were about confidence and sharpness, confidence with myself really. With the way I play the injury was probably on my mind. I didn’t think about it when I made a tackle but, automatically when you have had an injury like that, maybe you don’t go as hard as you can.

“Now I feel like myself again and how I felt before the injury, which was probably my best moment for the club. I felt very well in the last 15 games I’ve played and it is a question of keeping going. Hopefully we can have another good win at Chelsea like when I got the injury, but without the injury this time. I am looking forward to it.”
The next 3.5 hours are going to drag..
The next 3.5 hours are going to drag..

Indeed. I can't wait till the match starts. :excited:

How are you feeling about it? I'm quite optimistic, as long as we are solid at the back and in midfield I think we can win. Chelsea will cause us problems but as long as we take our chances there's no reason why we can't get to Wembley.

Quick Reply

Latest