The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Who's going to make the new thread?

@OptaJoe
Liverpool have won eight of 12 PL games that Lucas has started this season (67%) and just three of 11 when he hasn’t (27%). Key.

Posted that a few pages ago. Great stat which just shows how silly talk of us getting rid in January was.

By all accounts, Burnley (and Dyche in particular) aren't happy with us for messing with Ings' head. Dyche and Rodgers are good friends, but there's a thought that Ings was off the boil against Sunderland this weekend and his mentality isn't quite right.
Original post by KFC Buffet
Toure wasn't our worst defender last year - except for an unfortunate error at West Brom (and an ultimately irrelevant error at Fulham) he did little wrong and was generally good when called upon. Nobody talks about Skrtel giving Hull a 3-1 win by himself ffs

Skrtel was dire last year, but ended up scoring more key goals than Henderson which says a lot. Takes a lot to perform worse than Aly Cissokho but he managed it.
From the BBC:

According to Barrett we are looking to bring in Ings in the summer because that would avoid the need for a tribunal when his contract ends in June.

He has 7 goals and 3 assists so far this season, he's certainly an upgrade on all our current strikers bar Sturridge. If we can get him for a cheap fee then I have no problem with him signing, I've never watched him play so I don't know if he'd fit into our style of play.
We're back baby!

4th place here we come!
Original post by The.Joker
According to Barrett we are looking to bring in Ings in the summer because that would avoid the need for a tribunal when his contract ends in June.

He has 7 goals and 3 assists so far this season, he's certainly an upgrade on all our current strikers bar Sturridge. If we can get him for a cheap fee then I have no problem with him signing, I've never watched him play so I don't know if he'd fit into our style of play.

If we sign him in the summer when his contract expires then the tribunal get involved. If we buy in January, we decide the fee now and there's no tribunal involvement.

Bizzare there's a lot of talk of us buying now and leaving him at Burnley - pretty sure the current rules prohibit that.

Bizzare there's a lot of talk of us buying now and leaving him at Burnley - pretty sure the current rules prohibit that.

Yeah, this can't happen. It's against the rules to sign somebody and loan them out in the same transfer window - so I'm unsure why journalists are still peddling that narrative.
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, this can't happen. It's against the rules to sign somebody and loan them out in the same transfer window - so I'm unsure why journalists are still peddling that narrative.

You can buy somebody and loan them out, just not to the club that you bought them from iirc.

Either way, we shouldn't be going for Ings.
Original post by tomtjl
You can buy somebody and loan them out, just not to the club that you bought them from iirc.

Either way, we shouldn't be going for Ings.

He's off to Moyes and Sociedad apparently anyway.
Hopefully, that way we won't be able to buy him...

Any deadline day wishes? Benzema wouldn't go amiss :colondollar: :colondollar:
Burnley ITKs say their club has no knowledge of Sociedad pre-contract
Didn't realise we play Everton and Spurs in such a short period of time.

At least Spurs play Arsenal at the weekend although Everton play Chelsea after us.
what a boring transfer window.
at least we're looking better in general - mignolet and our defence looks less shaky, and sturridge had a great return.
just worried of any injuries; if we can make it to the summer, fair play to rodgers.
just gotta hope that doing nothing this window doesn't hinder the end to our season :/
Didn't realise we play Everton and Spurs in such a short period of time.

At least Spurs play Arsenal at the weekend although Everton play Chelsea after us.

really?
i've been saying it in like every other post :wink:
then again, people develop a habit of ignoring me :tongue:

yeah, the london derby is huge for us.
it's the early kick off and we aren't playing until late so we'll already know the result.
let's hope that pumps the players up rather than making them bottle it.
Original post by Lúcio
really?
i've been saying it in like every other post :wink:
then again, people develop a habit of ignoring me :tongue:

yeah, the london derby is huge for us.
it's the early kick off and we aren't playing until late so we'll already know the result.
let's hope that pumps the players up rather than making them bottle it.

We just have to keep winning tbh. Best form in the league with 16 out of 18 points recently though.

Think the police are trying to change the late-kick off.
I'd go with this line-up tomorrow:

Mignolet, Sakho, Skrtel, Can, Manquillo, Henderson, Rossiter, Markovic, Gerrard, Lallana, Sterling.

I'd expect Lovren will start, though. I'm not a massive fan of changing our back three currently, but there's no denying that he needs to get back on a football pitch and he'll not get much better opportunities. Johnson may come in, too, and Allen will probably get the nod ahead of Rossiter. I'd start with Sterling and try and get the game won early, before replacing him with Borini or give Sturridge a half an hour one of his former homes.

There's no way Enrique gets near a Liverpool side at this current point in time.
Original post by Mackay
I'd go with this line-up tomorrow:

Mignolet, Sakho, Skrtel, Can, Manquillo, Henderson, Rossiter, Markovic, Gerrard, Lallana, Sterling.

I'd expect Lovren will start, though. I'm not a massive fan of changing our back three currently, but there's no denying that he needs to get back on a football pitch and he'll not get much better opportunities. Johnson may come in, too, and Allen will probably get the nod ahead of Rossiter. I'd start with Sterling and try and get the game won early, before replacing him with Borini or give Sturridge a half an hour one of his former homes.

There's no way Enrique gets near a Liverpool side at this current point in time.

Markovic at LB?

I'd go with:

Borini
Lallana Gerrard
Enrique Allen Henderson Manquillo
Lovren Skrtel Johnson
Mignolet

It should be a good enough side to beat a mid-Championship side. If it's not, then what can you do? At this point I pick trying to finish top 4 over trying to win the FA Cup which means resting our most important players to be fit for Everton and Spurs.

We should pick a strong bench with Ward, Lucas, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge, Markovic, Sakho.
We just have to keep winning tbh. Best form in the league with 16 out of 18 points recently though.

Think the police are trying to change the late-kick off.

exactly - best form in the league (now that soton lost).
no reason we can't go on a run similar to last season.
everton is a derby but we are vastly superior right now.

however let's just look forward to bolton and see how it goes
lennon is a quality manager but he'll have to set up differently if he wants to win; we'll definitely have more space this time around.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
exactly - best form in the league (now that soton lost).
no reason we can't go on a run similar to last season.
everton is a derby but we are vastly superior right now.

however let's just look forward to bolton and see how it goes
lennon is a quality manager but he'll have to set up differently if he wants to win; we'll definitely have more space this time around.

Well there's always a bad result in there somewhere which is the worrying thing.

I think form goes out the window a little with the derby game and don't forget that Everton got a draw against Man City and beat C.Palace in their last 3 so they're not in the worst form. Hopefully we batter them anyway :biggrin:

I guess we just need a win or a score draw to get through this without penalties. Ideally we'd get through the next couple of rounds in the FA cup and then Arsenal and Man Utd would draw each other :colondollar:
Well there's always a bad result in there somewhere which is the worrying thing.

I think form goes out the window a little with the derby game and don't forget that Everton got a draw against Man City and beat C.Palace in their last 3 so they're not in the worst form. Hopefully we batter them anyway :biggrin:

I guess we just need a win or a score draw to get through this without penalties. Ideally we'd get through the next couple of rounds in the FA cup and then Arsenal and Man Utd would draw each other :colondollar:

yeah of course; form doesn't guarantee wins and everybody has a bad game occasionally.
would you rather lose a PL game or lose to bolton?

derby games are tough because regardless of form, both teams are proper up for it.
however we did dominate everton completely last time around (they only got saved by a wonder strike), and we weren't even playing THAT well at the time.
if you look at us now, everton aren't any better and we've improved massively.
i'm very confident about the everton game; wouldn't be surprised if we thrashed them.

are you sure?
i didn't think away goals counted in the FA cup; this is a replay, not a 2 legged tie.
we had a chance to end the tie at home, now bolton have the advantage by bringing it to their ground.
we can definitely win the FA cup, although honestly it wouldn't make our season; it would merely be a bonus to cap off an excellent year or a consolation prize from a disappointing campaign.

i truly believe with sturridge back we can make top 4, however we also have a decent chance of winning the EL.
2 big opportunities there of getting CL football next season; can't blame anybody else if we don't take one of them.
Original post by Lúcio
yeah of course; form doesn't guarantee wins and everybody has a bad game occasionally.
would you rather lose a PL game or lose to bolton?

derby games are tough because regardless of form, both teams are proper up for it.
however we did dominate everton completely last time around (they only got saved by a wonder strike), and we weren't even playing THAT well at the time.
if you look at us now, everton aren't any better and we've improved massively.
i'm very confident about the everton game; wouldn't be surprised if we thrashed them.

are you sure?
i didn't think away goals counted in the FA cup; this is a replay, not a 2 legged tie.
we had a chance to end the tie at home, now bolton have the advantage by bringing it to their ground.
we can definitely win the FA cup, although honestly it wouldn't make our season; it would merely be a bonus to cap off an excellent year or a consolation prize from a disappointing campaign.

i truly believe with sturridge back we can make top 4, however we also have a decent chance of winning the EL.
2 big opportunities there of getting CL football next season; can't blame anybody else if we don't take one of them.

Rather lose to Bolton. Think we have to prioritise top 4 over the FA Cup.

Yea away goals don't count, ignore me :biggrin:

I think we just take it a game at a time and when it looks likely that we're out of the EL or top 4, then we put all our eggs into one basket.

Quick Reply

Latest