The Student Room Group

I dont know what i want to do with my life.

Ok we have to go into school one week from now to enrol for A2's but i have no idea what to do. I took Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and History for AS and got AAABB. I still dont know what subject to drop :frown:
I always thought i would drop History because i thought it was my weakest subject but it turns out im alright at it, i enjoy writing essays and i love arguing points. Plus my history teacher is brilliant and totally inspirational, we basically debate every lesson and i feel that i really get something out of his lessons. My science teachers are boring, copy off the board types, and memorise every. Science lessons are just soo blah even though im the best in my class, and i'm not sure if that the reason im carrying them on. Maths i love and have good teachers. I was planning to drop F Maths as i was predicted a C but it turned out to be my highest UMS out of all my subjects. Plus if i drop it now i wouldnt have an official AS just 3 random modules (my school does things weirdly).
I was thinking of doing either Maths or Biochem at university, so dropping history seems logical, but i cant help but thinking it would be a bad idea.
Basically the problem is i constantly feel like im blagging history and maths. I mean i work really hard in maths which gets the grades but i dont actually get the deeper meaning of it, which i think makes me unsuitable to do a maths degree.
With history, i've never ever thought of myself as an essay writer, i'm not one of those people who can run out a 3 page essay just like that. I need the whole day get all my notes together, think about it for about an hour, and then write. The thing is the first year of History has taught me alot of skills (which i cant say that science has), i mean i wrote 4page essay in 45mins, that is a major deal for me!

All in all i cant help but think i'm blindly going to go off and do a science degree (which i have thought about since i was little) just to stay in my comfort zone, and because i think is my natural subject, but im not sure if thats the right decision to make:confused:

Oh god, sorry to ramble on, it just seems like life has to be finalised so soon and im not ready for it.
Please reply (even if its to tell me to shut up and get on with it), i just needed to get it out somewhere.
Reply 1
I would carry on with the subjects that I enjoy because in the long run if you like the subject then you're more likely to do well
Would your school let you start the year studying all the subject, with the intention of dropping one after a few weeks? I kind of started off last year like that [Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English], and eventually decided to drop the logical one [English], keeping in mind that it was something I could still enjoy and progress with in my own free time [whereas with the others, it's more knowledge-based, and easier to learn in a class].

Looking at your situation from what you've said, even though you've done well in Maths, I don't get the impression that it's something you're really passionate about. I would advise that you follow doing what you enjoy and what comes naturally - also, think about HOW things would be studied at university. One of the reasons I dropped English is because the exams rely on timed essays, and that would just make my life something of a misery.

I hope that helps...
Reply 3
I suggest dropping the two subjects you got Bs in. To be honest, theres no need to take all 4 or 5 to A2, and this makes your decision easier for you.
SplidgeSplodge
I suggest dropping the two subjects you got Bs in. To be honest, theres no need to take all 4 or 5 to A2, and this makes your decision easier for you.

I think that's a good way of doing it, but it would also be important to consider how things work at uni. Also, exams aren't the be-all and end-all of how good you are at something... my English teacher was very enthusiastic about how I would love studying English at uni, even though I had to work incredibly hard to get an A in my Higher English. If I wasn't so into Maths, I think I would have gone down the English route, despite the school classes not being so easy.

If you do end up doing maths, is Further Maths so necessary for you to get in to uni? It might make things easier when you're there, but dropping it would allow you to keep your options more open.
Reply 5
Drop the two subjects you got B's in, or carry them all on and have some extra thinking time. Alternatively, drop everything, sell all your possessions and go on the road with a travelling circus. Make friends with the hairy lady and have 7 hairy children.

Good Luck with whatever option you take. :smile:
Ouch, tough decision :frown: I think you need to spend the next week looking at university prospectuses (remember they're all available online) and really thinking hard about which degree you're most sutied to, in terms of both enjoyment and ability. I can think of reasons why you should keep all your subjects, as I'm sure you can, so I think that's the only way you'll decide. You love maths and history, but don't seem too confident about taking either as a degree. With the sciences, you should try and forget about the boring teachers and being the best in your class and think about how much you actually like the subjects themselves.
I mean i work really hard in maths which gets the grades but i dont actually get the deeper meaning of it

I know what you mean there. It's always felt like a hinderance to me not understanding the origin of methods etc, but it is possible to do well with plenty of hard work , as you've exemplified.

as ImperceptibleNinja said, see if you can carry on all of your subjects to start off with, then see which subject you naturally fall out of favour with (if any).
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies, i realise none of you will be able to tell me what i'll be happy doing and what degree i should do (i wish), but thanks for the advice.

Personally i dont think dropping the two subject i got Bs in is the best idea as it doesnt take into account how much i enjoy those subjects (plus im happy with Bs thank you).
I'm definatly keeping both my maths, firstly because if i dont carry it on this year of further maths would have been a waste and secondly its my most enjoyable subject, but i'm unsure if im good enough to do it at university.
Which means i dont want to drop down to 3 A2 if two of those are maths (way to narrow for my liking).
My teachers definatly wouldnt let me carry them all on at A2 even for a little while (plus i kinda had thinking time after ASs when we started A2s).
Thanks again, i just feel that whatever decision i make will be the wrong one.

Natural Scientist
Alternatively, drop everything, sell all your possessions and go on the road with a travelling circus. Make friends with the hairy lady and have 7 hairy children.

Ohh how i wish life were that simple, i'll bare that it mind when everything goes tits up, thanks:biggrin:

How did you lot choose which degree you were going to apply for?
This probably doesn't help you much, but I chose to do a languages degree because French had been my favourite and best subject since GCSE and I didn't want to carry on with any of my other subjects. If you think about it hard enough, I'm sure you'll realise you do actually prefer one or two of your subjects over the others, but you're letting things like doubts get in the way of your choice. Having read your original post again, I'd probably say drop history if I were you. 5 A2s would be way too much work, you say your school wouldn't let you anyway and it seems like the only subject you're not even considering taking at uni. You say you enjoyed it and got a lot out of it, which is great, but also that you feel like you're 'blagging' it and you've never considered it one of 'your' subjects. It also sounds like the main reason you're reluctant to drop it is because your teacher is so good, which shouldn't really influence your decision. With the sciences, you've always wanted to do a degree in them, you're obviously good at them and I think you might be put off just because your teachers are boring, which again shouldn't matter. You don't have to apply to uni until January, so by that time, you should have a better idea of which out of maths and biochemistry you want to do based on how much you're enjoying your A2s.
Reply 10
Thanks alot for the reply. You're totally right i will drop history, my teacher wont be there for ever, so its not really a valid reason. Its so odd, writing down my thoughts on my original post things were so confusing and everywhere, but when you echo my thoughts and comment things seem so much clearer and sorted!
I've just read a physics book and have had the wild idea of taking up physics AS next year *doh* somebody had got to stop me!
Reply 11
Physics should be great fun. lol I have read the books also and I agree that an AS would be good. :wink:
~the_one~
Thanks alot for the reply. You're totally right i will drop history, my teacher wont be there for ever, so its not really a valid reason. Its so odd, writing down my thoughts on my original post things were so confusing and everywhere, but when you echo my thoughts and comment things seem so much clearer and sorted!
I've just read a physics book and have had the wild idea of taking up physics AS next year *doh* somebody had got to stop me!

Glad I could help, and thanks for the rep :smile: Physics would give you a full set of sciences, and you'll have extra time you used to spend on history, so why not if you can handle the workload?

Latest

Trending

Trending