The Student Room Group

Woman escapes jail despite glassing male, in her 18th violent offence

A female estate agent, who has now 18 criminal convictions, has some how managed to still avoid jail after hospitalizing a male in a unprovoked attack in which she hit him with a glass bottle.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11402087.Woman_with__breathtaking__record_of_violence_escapes_jail_for_18th_assault/?ref=var_0

The male victim has since come out and attacked the sentence, saying if he would of glassed her in that manner he would of been sent to jail even if it was his first offence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2726219/Yasmin-Thomas-victim-disgusted-walked-free.html#comments

What does it take for a person, especially women, to actually go to jail in this country? The judge even admitted this woman had one of the worse criminal records for her age he had seen, for a man or woman. And why is this obvious sexism in sentencing still not being addressed? I would hope this sentence is taken to the Attorney General for review on the grounds it seems obviously to lenient.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

women are the most privileged people in the country
18 assaults is ridiculously high, how has she managed to keep a job?
The good ol justice system.
Original post by manchesterunited15
women are the most privileged people in the country

Not in terms of sexual violence all the time ("she's a slut she asked for it" etc.)

But in terms of child custody and violence towards men, yeah, I have to agree.

I'm a feminist by the way and no, I don't believe in closing women's prisons or violence against men or any of the other sexist things some of the radical feminists have suggested. These people use the guise of feminism to spew misandry and it's disgusting.

We're not exactly the most privileged when you think about the double standards we have and the harassment we get from men. But I think both women and men have issues/ double standards that need to be addressed.
It's a good job she only used glass and not nasty words or she might have ended up in the slammer.

A white woman was recently jailed for 33 weeks for throwing flour at her black neighbour in a case of "racially aggravated harassment" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2724952/Woman-jailed-covered-black-neighbour-flour-said-British-sat-garden-drinking-tea.html
People saying she gets away with it because she's a woman are just sexist. She probably got away with it because she's black and didn't want another black person behind bars. Life of a white person in Europe we're so privileged.
Reply 7
Original post by thesabbath
It's a good job she only used glass and not nasty words or she might have ended up in the slammer.

A white woman was recently jailed for 33 weeks for throwing flour at her black neighbour in a case of "racially aggravated harassment" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2724952/Woman-jailed-covered-black-neighbour-flour-said-British-sat-garden-drinking-tea.html

Sentencing is a joke in many aspects. Sex offenders often walk free, but if you wave your arms aggressively at someone at a football match even if their 50 foot away and separated by the police you will be labelled a hooligan and probably looking at jail time (not to mention the banning order).
When I first saw this I assumed that she had a child, that normally acts as a get out of prison card for women.
But I now realise that all that is needed is a vagina.
Hope he appeals against the leaniancy.
Reply 9
Original post by caravaggio2
When I first saw this I assumed that she had a child, that normally acts as a get out of prison card for women.
But I now realise that all that is needed is a vagina.
Hope he appeals against the leaniancy.

Seemingly so.
The judge despite condemning her record as one of the worst he has seen seemingly offered no justification even as to why he was so lenient.
I would have hospitalised her.
What do you guys think of this.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/violent-estate-agent-17-assault-4058509

I reckon if this was a man, the sentence would have been a lot worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
The only reasoning I can think of is "Jail didn't work the previous 17 times, so sod it". Though I doubt she's been in prison for any considerable amount of time for a lot (or all) her previous convictions if she's only 21.
Original post by Hopple
The only reasoning I can think of is "Jail didn't work the previous 17 times, so sod it". Though I doubt she's been in prison for any considerable amount of time for a lot (or all) her previous convictions if she's only 21.

I don't think she's served any jail time but I may be mistaken.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BabySinclair
People saying she gets away with it because she's a woman are just sexist. She probably got away with it because she's black and didn't want another black person behind bars. Life of a white person in Europe we're so privileged.

The number of black males in prison would have to disagree with you. I think it's because she is female.

Minorities are disproportionately represented in prison (on average)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Algorithm69
And just think, there are feminists campaigning right now and attempting to close every women's prison in the country.

What the heck?

Just out of interest what reasoning do they have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Heimdall
I don't think she's served any jail time but I may be mistaken.

Don't get me wrong, I'd argue that if a little prison hasn't worked previously then more, rather than none, would be in order.
How do you get that many convictions and still get a job?
teh patriarchy
Original post by Hopple
Don't get me wrong, I'd argue that if a little prison hasn't worked previously then more, rather than none, would be in order.

Yeah I would take the same stance.

This is effectively condoning it

Original post by tehforum
How do you get that many convictions and still get a job?

No idea. She's either very good at it or just has contacts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending