The Student Room Group

Don't know which school to choose for sixth form

Okay I am moving school for sixth form, but I don't know which school to choose.

School #1: A good local grammar school, chosen to do maths, physics, chemistry and economics. However school #2 is a local comprehensive, but I have a chance to do A level further maths, whereas at the grammar I can't because everyone that does do further maths did their AS maths a year early and I didn't have this option at my current school, so I wasn't allowed to do it. I may be able to do just an AS in FM at the grammar school, but that's not certain. Also bearing in mind the Grammar school is the better school

Now I don't know which one to choose. I want to study either physics or economics at a top university and I am wondering how much of a disadvantage it would be, considering the fact that the Grammar school offers the subject, it would may put me in an even bigger disadvantage. Oh and I cannot collaborate since the timetables clash

Any help?
Reply 1
Bump?
Reply 2
Anyone please? I really don't want to make a stupid decision and regret it, so I would really appreciate anyone's opinion.
Reply 3
Original post by drowzee
Okay I am moving school for sixth form, but I don't know which school to choose.

School #1: A good local grammar school, chosen to do maths, physics, chemistry and economics. However school #2 is a local comprehensive, but I have a chance to do A level further maths, whereas at the grammar I can't because everyone that does do further maths did their AS maths a year early and I didn't have this option at my current school, so I wasn't allowed to do it. I may be able to do just an AS in FM at the grammar school, but that's not certain. Also bearing in mind the Grammar school is the better school

Now I don't know which one to choose. I want to study either physics or economics at a top university and I am wondering how much of a disadvantage it would be, considering the fact that the Grammar school offers the subject, it would may put me in an even bigger disadvantage. Oh and I cannot collaborate since the timetables clash

Any help?

Go whoever you'll be happiest, and wherever you think you'll get the better results.

It's not essential to do fm to get into a physics course, although it might be preferred.

As you know what course you want to do at uni, look at the course requirements online for different unis and see if that helps with your decision :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by aoxa
Go whoever you'll be happiest, and wherever you think you'll get the better results.

It's not essential to do fm to get into a physics course, although it might be preferred.

As you know what course you want to do at uni, look at the course requirements online for different unis and see if that helps with your decision :smile:

Thanks for the reply! FM is not required for any uni but preferred, like you just said. I'm wondering if it would put me at a big disadvantage when applying for top universities, since many students would be offering the subject.

I preferred the grammar school overall, however the classes were much smaller at the other school and the maths teacher seemed to love me and give me a lot of attention, which is a bonus and also I can do FM at this school. Basically what would you do in my situation?
Reply 5
I have been to both a comprehensive and a grammar school. I move to the grammar for sixth form and it was the best decision for me.

As in the grammar school most people want to go to university, the classes are calmer, the teachers are less stressed and overall the learning environment is so much nicer! If your end goal is to go to a leading university then I would suggest to go there.

Although, I must add; they put a lot more pressure on you, but it's all for the best in the end (even if you are wishing they'd stop complaining about the C you got in an irrelevant mock that you didn't care for).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest