The Student Room Group

Move to America - Accountant

Hi everyone,

I have always wanted to move to America! I am an Accountancy & Finance Graduate and i am currently working as a Trainee Accountant studying towards the ACCA Qualification. After i qualify i would really like to move to America, preferably to California.

Does anybody have any advice on this? Are accountants in demand over there? Am i likely to get a sponsor from a company for my visa? I do have an auntie that lives over there but i understand that will not help my visa at all.

My plan is to complete my training in the UK so i am a fully qualified UK accountant with 4 years experience. I would then like to study a masters degree in accountancy in California and also study the CPA so i would be a qualified accountant in the US. Will studying over there and becoming CPA qualified first help me in any way finding a job?

Thanks in advance for anyones help!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey,

I am facing the same problem mate!! As ACCA is globally accepted so do I really need to study CPA too? On its website it says with ACCA qualification I can also work in USA.
Are you an international student?

Best wishes
Reply 2
I don't think you really have to. But I've researched a lot and read that ACCA is not very well known in America. The CPA is the only qualification in America that allows you to become an accountant as far as I'm aware.

No I'm not, I'm from the UK and studied in the UK. :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah I've heard that too and its just 14 hrs more to become a CPA lol. I have a similar plan, even I want to go to USA and study MBA and CPA after completing my ACCA in UK. Currently I am in my 3rd year for BA (hons) Accounting and finance do you think I should study ACCA or directly go to USA after taking few years of experience?
Reply 4
I'm really not sure. I sometimes wonder if I'm wasting my time doing the ACCA when i could go straight onto the masters. But i know that moving to the USA is extremely difficult so by doing the ACCA i know i am at least qualified in the UK.
Reply 5
Well, TBH you are doing the right thing :smile: and plus you are also getting experience in the field of accounting and I think CPA exams will be easy for you after completing ACCA. Are you on graduate scheme right now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending