The Student Room Group

The Chemistry A2-Level Thread 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

We started AQA A2 Chemistry before we finished, so I have completed Kinetics and Equilibria, looking forward for the rest of the spec! :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by randlemcmurphy
We started AQA A2 Chemistry before we finished, so I have completed Kinetics and Equilibria, looking forward for the rest of the spec! :biggrin:

I am also AQA, wow we started but were really slow, we've finished Equilibra and just started Kinetics. We are going to rocket off as soon as we get back though I can just tell
Original post by AhmedDavid
I am also AQA, wow we started but were really slow, we've finished Equilibra and just started Kinetics. We are going to rocket off as soon as we get back though I can just tell

School already!!!!
Reply 23
Original post by Roflwaffles
School already!!!!

Hhahaha no, we did all these things before we broke up for the summer holidays. We resume on the 3rd September, so not to long now :frown:

Which is why I need to create some time and get ahead
Hhahaha no, we did all these things before we broke up for the summer holidays. We resume on the 3rd September, so not to long now :frown:

Which is why I need to create some time and get ahead

I get it :smile: Over here we're trying to get rid off our PM so no school!

We have two teachers so with one teacher we did Kinetics and the other Equilibria. Kinetics is very interesting, especially the rate determining steps.
Good luck all you guys. Got an A with AQA so feel free to ask me anything
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Good luck all you guys. Got an A with AQA so feel free to ask me anything

How did you prepare for A2 chemistry? I recently got a B for AS AQA chemistry, I am thinking of retaking chem2 as I was 2 UMS marks off an A in that exam. The majority of people in my class didn't do as well in the exams this year because they're becoming harder. I need an A in chemistry for A-Level so any advice would be helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Itsmonique
How did you prepare for A2 chemistry? I recently got a B for AS AQA chemistry, I am thinking of retaking chem2 as I was 2 UMS marks off an A in that exam. The majority of people in my class didn't do as well in the exams this year because they're becoming harder. I need an A in chemistry for A-Level so any advice would be helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would definitely advise retaking unit 2, not only is it piss easy once you've done A2, it's also worth 140 ums which is the most out of all the exams. My friend got a B last year, retook unit 2 along with A2 and managed an A overall so it's entirely possible.

For me, revision consisted mainly with practice. So I would get used to the way they word questions or the type of answers they look for in regards to particular questions. My advice though is to fully understand all the concepts before starting revision because you'll find that certain bits do take much longer to grasp (looking especially at unit 5 with this). But if you just keep reading over it, asking teachers/friends/etc questions on it and just accept what they tell you, you'll find that you actually would understand most of the info. I won't lie and tell you A2 is easy because it's not, but it's certainly manageable. Again, closer to exam time, I would recommend you bang out past paper, mark harshly and revisit topics you either did horrendously in or were really not sure about when answering the question. Practice as much AS calculations as you can because they do come up at A2 where a lot of people will forget about them, and A2 is synoptic so stuff with ionisation energies, melting/boiling point, shapes of molecule.. Don't forget them :smile:

Sorry for the wall of text
Which books did/are you going to use?
Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2812997&p=49671195#post49671195
joining this thread, should be useful later down the line :biggrin:
Thought I'd join for later too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by mynameisntbobk
X

Can someone please help me word this answer to get 3 marks everytime. Its a nomenclature question where it is basically asking you to explain how a racemic mixture of the 2 steroisomers of a substance is formed.

The markscheme is
1) Carbocation
2) Planar
3) Equally as likely to form a bond on either side

I cant put the cation and planar into a smooth short sentence to get the overall 3 marks.

Before I checked the markscheme my answer was along the lines.

A racemic mixture of the 2 stereoismers of 2-chlorobutane is formed as when the hydrogen forms a bond using the electrons from the double bond, it is completely random and is equally likely to attach to the left or the right of the double bond meaning the carbocation intermediate could is equally likely to be on either side.

I cant fit in planar now though looking at the markscheme and my answer is to long any help?
Reply 34
How do you draw MethylEthylEthanoate
Reply 35
Original post by Hudl

Hey I just made a TSR today!
Still getting used to it...
Anyway:

this is ethyl ethanoate

ethyl is from the alcohol
ethanoate is from the acid

so methylethyl ethanoate would have to have a methyl group on the the C-O carbon otherwise you would have propyl ethanoate :smile:

and it cant be on the acid as you will have ethyl propanoate

Hope that didnt confuse you!
Reply 36
Original post by Hudl

My guess is an ester of ethanoic acid and propan-2-ol, but I might be wrong. :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Hectors
My guess is an ester of ethanoic acid and propan-2-ol, but I might be wrong. :smile:

Yeah the question was will MethylEthylEthanoate break into I put Ethanoic acid and propanol but the answer was propan-2-ol so just wondering the structure of it to be able to see how it looks and therefore have a better understanding of why I got it wrong.
Reply 38
Original post by Hudl
Yeah the question was will MethylEthylEthanoate break into I put Ethanoic acid and propanol but the answer was propan-2-ol so just wondering the structure of it to be able to see how it looks and therefore have a better understanding of why I got it wrong.

This should be it :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Hectors
This should be it :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:, do you understand the question that was above this? or is that not on your spec?

Quick Reply