The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't go uni, if it means that much to you. It's overrated anyway.
Here you go OP:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/sharia-compliant-student-finance

Before someone says that it's one product for Muslims, and one for non Muslims should they choose so - IF the gov't goes ahead with an "alternative" system
Reply 42
Original post by krish9156
Maybe for you it's ridiculous but for us it's very important in our religion that we neither pay or take interest as it makes the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Ok hold that thought for a moment. Do you or will you pay tax? If so, where do you think that money goes? How much do banks cost the UK tax payers? Are you familiar with those fat cats who earn millions in bonuses every year? With what money exactly? "The rich richer, and the poor poorer" your words, not mine.
Original post by C-Rooney
Ok hold that thought for a moment. Do you or will you pay tax? If so, where do you think that money goes? How much do banks cost the UK tax payers? Are you familiar with those fat cats who earn millions in bonuses every year? With what money exactly? "The rich richer, and the poor poorer" your words, not mine.

Because I live in uk I have to follow the law here as that's what Islam teaches me. So yes I will pay tax if I'm still living here.
You can also ask the local imam at the mosque or a scholar because they will be able to guide you better InshAllah
Reply 45
Because I live in uk I have to follow the law here as that's what Islam teaches me. So yes I will pay tax if I'm still living here.

then you make the rich richer, and the poor pooer. You can't apply your religion to one aspect of the public sector and not the other.
Reply 46
No it doesn't...infact Islam is the only religion that connects with science and the modern world. Only if you researched the Quran and hadiths then you would show some respect. As far as loans are concerned there are banks that give interest free loans

Why can't muslims accept a student loan? Do they not want to be educated at higher levels?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dylann
Muslims cannot get along with each other let alone others in this world.

Why can't muslims accept a student loan? Do they not want to be educated at higher levels?

They can accept student loans when there is no other alternative. I'm not even going to lie in Muslim countries banks and universities do charge interest and if there is no alternative then you may be allowed to pay interest because God is aware of what you do so in uk I'm sure you can pay interest as it's the law but it's wise to double check with a qualified Islam scholar.
Brother you are trying your best to abide by the laws of islam but if you are unable to fund your university fees by yourself then the only option is to either borrow off extended family or take the student loan. Im sure Allah will understand. He is indeed the most forgiving
As mentioned, it is possible to receive loans designed for Myslimswho don't wih to pay interst.

Another optin s work and study part time through the OU.

Or accept that Allah gave you talent and intelligence, and it is your duty to make the most of it.

That's because i don't take orders from something that isn't real. When was islam created? I'm pretty sure that "interest rates" never existed in those days. Also, who even makes up this stuff? Like, seriously.

Of course interest existed at the time, and for centuries before. As long as there has been obey there have been loans. As long as there have been loans there has been interest.

then you make the rich richer, and the poor pooer. You can't apply your religion to one aspect of the public sector and not the other.

Banks are the private sector, not the public sector. I assume you are referring to banks that were bailed out during the financial crises but this is a bit different, besides, many jobs were at risk if the banks were not bailed out.

Taxes also pay for welfare, education, health care and so on. Moreover, it is a Muslim's obligation to pay zakat (donate a certain percentage of earings to charity). I assume this is what the member means, alongside not paying interest on loans. Nowhere is it stated in Islamic teachings or tradition that taxes shouldn't be paid. Far from it.
That's like saying those who are mentally slow or physically handicapped or with any other disability should not get special treatment because they are not what society calls normal. I'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with requesting special treatment because we are Muslims. Also this is the right given by the government to us Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He can and he did.

Islam explicitly teaches you to obey the laws of the land you live in. It does not belong to you, and so you must respectfully abide by its rules. If there exists a severe clash, for example, if praying were to become illegal(would never happen, but lets say it did)- then you would have to leave. In this instance, with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer; just because he attempts to avoid it in some circumstances and doesn't in others doesn't mean wrongful inconsistency. In the case of not using a student loan, he can avoid it and that's his choice. When it comes to paying tax, that is the law of the land and it is part of helping society function, then it is perfectly acceptable to do so.

You said earlier that interest didn't even exist. The ignorance is strong in you. There is detailed information on why it is illegitimate to enter an agreement that demands more than what you initially gave. I don't have the time to explain it- research it. Borrowing money is fine- interest isn't.

OP- go to an Islamic Bank. You'll just have to pay back the money. No interest whatsoever.
Reply 52
Original post by KrazyHusna
I have this issue too. I am starting at Kings College London. I will not sacrifice my religion for this dunya. Imagine if I begin to get a wage, that money would be considered unhalal if my uni degree financed on loans managed to land me the job.

My father is helping me out significantly. But its going to be a tight squeeze as my older brother is at university at the same time. I have no other sources of finance. As a Sister, its also going to be difficult to find a job in London, as I don't want to work anywhere where there is excessive free mixing or anything like that.

All we have is prayers. May Allah give us ease.

I refused to go uni cos of this despite getting 3 As but then again my dad instilled the rejection of intrest all my life! He only bought a house after saving and buying outright at the age of 59! :biggrin:
[QUOTE="WinterApproaches;49836729"]He can and he did.

Islam explicitly teaches you to obey the laws of the land you live in. It does not belong to you, and so you must respectfully abide by its rules. If there exists a severe clash, for example, if praying were to become illegal(would never happen, but lets say it did)- then you would have to leave. In this instance, with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer; just because he attempts to avoid it in some circumstances and doesn't in others doesn't mean wrongful inconsistency. In the case of not using a student loan, he can avoid it and that's his choice. When it comes to paying tax, that is the law of the land and it is part of helping society function, then it is perfectly acceptable to do so.

You said earlier that interest didn't even exist. The ignorance is strong in you. There is detailed information on why it is illegitimate to enter an agreement that demands more than what you initially gave. I don't have the time to explain it- research it. Borrowing money is fine- interest isn't.

OP- go to an Islamic Bank. You'll just have to pay back the money. No interest whatsoever.[/QUOTE
that's slightly wrong

Islamic mortgages make sense to me but Islamic loans don't ie: you will definitely pay to borrow the money but its packaged in a different way. I don't quite understand how Islamic loans work

Islamic mortgages are easy to understand as well as Islamic banking where you get a profit but Islamic loans are a bit...
[QUOTE="de_monies;49838047"]
Original post by WinterApproaches
He can and he did.

OP- go to an Islamic Bank. You'll just have to pay back the money. No interest whatsoever.[/QUOTE
that's slightly wrong

Islamic mortgages make sense to me but Islamic loans don't ie: you will definitely pay to borrow the money but its packaged in a different way. I don't quite understand how Islamic loans work

Islamic mortgages are easy to understand as well as Islamic banking where you get a profit but Islamic loans are a bit...

Hmm. Strange. Perhaps I'm deploying the word 'loan' incorrectly here. I know of instances where family members have received X amount of money, and only had to pay X amount of money back. That is what I was referring to.
As a non-muslim, I am curious to know what to make of this situation.

A previous poster stated they should make interest-free (government) loans an option for Muslims. At the moment I will borrow £50,000 and pay over £100,000 back. Is it fair for society to offer one group interest-free loans, and for another to have to work years' extra to pay back the interest?

Hope that's not too off-topic, but I didn't know the interest was considered an issue, thanks for highlighting it :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by KrazyHusna
You guys are not paying until much later in your life. I am somebody who is having to pay everything up front.

Islam is not a load of crap. It is rather the laws of the government are unjust in excluding an entire community of people because of their faith. This country, in order to properly fulfill tolerance of religion, needs to find a Shariah compliant alternative otherwise this is plain religious discrimination.

There is nothing unjust about interest. It is the payment you make for borrowing somebody else's money for a period of time.
It is not religious discrimination if you chose to follow a stupid rule. The world economy does not function because everybody is constantly handing each other temporary money for free.

Original post by Lionheartat20
As a non-muslim, I am curious to know what to make of this situation.

A previous poster stated they should make interest-free (government) loans an option for Muslims. At the moment I will borrow £50,000 and pay over £100,000 back. Is it fair for society to offer one group interest-free loans, and for another to have to work years' extra to pay back the interest?

Hope that's not too off-topic, but I didn't know the interest was considered an issue, thanks for highlighting it :smile:

No, it is not.
(edited 9 years ago)
That's like saying those who are mentally slow or physically handicapped or with any other disability should not get special treatment because they are not what society calls normal. I'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with requesting special treatment because we are Muslims. Also this is the right given by the government to us Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can request it but it wouldn't be fair if you received special treatment. Why should you be able to take out an interest free loan for example, while a non muslim could not and would end up paying back a lot more? That is just grossly unfair.
People who are handicapped should be helped to live normal lives. That is just compassion. They don't have a chose in being that way. People who adhere to Islam or any other religion do so of their own choice.
I understand that it must be frustrating if laws make it harder for you to practise your religion to its full degree but this is true for all religions. Also, giving one religion special priviledges, even if done with good intentions, is a dangerous path to go down. Once it becomes the norm, more extremist people can start to demand priviledges that may harm other people. Thus it is best if people are treated equally under the law.
There's nothing wrong with taking a student loan because it's the only option you have.

Also you are funding your education and it means your seeking knowledge so as far as I'm concerned there is nothing sinful about this.

NO offense but It's a pretty useless question if you use common sense really.
I'm a Muslim taking a loan and there is nothing wrong with it!!!!!!!!!!!

FFS COMMON SENSE REALLY DOES EVADE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD....................

Latest

Trending

Trending