The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Ask your dad - LMAO
Reply 3
Original post by abbasahmed786
Ask your dad - LMAO

that is not an option. i assume ur a muslim, have u gone uni or are u going and if yes how did you manage ur tuition fee?
You'd either have to get your parents to fund it or get a part time job that pays at least £15,000 a year.
I am going in september - paying thru student finance - you have no choice to get the loan - unless you can afford it.

Think about you pay interest for nearly everything so whats the problem?
I'm not sure, perhaps you can talk to the universities that you want to apply to and ask them what options they have for Muslim students. Also take a look at this page from QMUL and see if it's helpful.
Hi,

I've taken out student loans for the past 6 years. I'm Muslim but there wasn't really another option for me. If your parents have money, maybe they'll fund you. If not, then you will probably have to chose between not going to Uni or the student loan.
Reply 8
The global monetary system works on a succession of loans, debt, and interest. Just get the loan and a good education :smile:.
I have this issue too. I am starting at Kings College London. I will not sacrifice my religion for this dunya. I don't want to be involved in riba to educate myself.

My father is helping me out significantly. But its going to be a tight squeeze as my older brother is at university at the same time. I have no other sources of finance. As a Sister, its also going to be difficult to find a job in London, as I don't want to work anywhere where there is excessive free mixing or anything like that.

All we have is prayers. May Allah give us ease.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Unfortunately in this country usury is pretty much the standard. You have to make the choice between not going to Uni or getting the loan if you can't afford to psy for it. Its a shame things have to be this way but that's the way it is.
But you can just pay it off the interest starts after you graduate and your not earning haraam money really cuz you past tests and that gets you the qualification so its halaal If you don't pay interest

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're 100% set on not taking the student loan then you have a few options:

1) You can try to self-fund your university career. There are a few people doing it here and there so ask around. I personally know at least 4 students at QMUL who are paying upfront due to not wanting to take the loan. Try to find out if the university will allow you to pay in installments as it will be almost impossible if they don't.

Some ways to help raise the 9k:

- Take a gap year and work full time.
- Work part time while at university.
- Make use of all the Government grants and university bursaries you can get.
- Apply for every scholarship you're eligible for, you might get lucky.
- Search the internet for various charities that might give you a bursary. It's a long shot but who knows, might work.
- Ask your parents/extended family members to help you raise the money.
- Try to find a halal loan (if you can find one, I doubt they exist - I've looked)

2) Apply for an NHS funded course. The tuition fees are fully paid for by the NHS, and I think you also get a bursary too. There's a small list of courses that fall under this bracket, search it up online.

3) Go to university abroad. It's a lot cheaper and in certain EU countries you can study there for free. Same with Scotland I think.

4) After that your only other option is not go to university. Maybe look into apprenticeships or graduate schemes where you work alongside your studies and have your tuition fees paid for. Or go into work for a couple years and then go to university later on in your life, if you want. Remember they are proposing new shari'ah-compliant student loans so that might be a reality in a few years time. Who knows :smile: Good luck!
Reply 13
Interest cannot be made permissible under any condition. If you can't fund your tuition fees interest free, then you don't go to university. It's as simple as that. If you consider this option sincerely then Allah will surely create means of you going university without paying any interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibz5
Interest cannot be made permissible under any condition. If you can't fund your tuition fees interest free, then you don't go to university. It's as simple as that. If you consider this option sincerely then Allah will surely create means of you going university without paying any interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Allah is not going to deposit twenty-seven thousand pounds into somebody's bank account.
Reply 15
Original post by Pectorac
Allah is not going to deposit twenty-seven thousand pounds into somebody's bank account.

Allah will create the means of twenty-seven thousand pounds being deposited into your account. It's how Allah works. When Allah intends for it to rain he uses the clouds as the means. I know people from poor backgrounds who are in uni and not paying interest. It's all about conviction in Allah. The world is made beautiful to test us. Ismaeel (AS)was not slaughtered by his father Ibrahim (AS), Allah only wanted to see if he was willing to fullfil my command. When he passed his test Allah rewarded him with his son and a sheep from jannah. Stay steadfast on deen and will honour in this world and the hereafter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly, I understand how you feel but it's for university, your not going around acting like ISIS. I took the loan, you have to take into consideration the quraan was written many many decades ago, circumstances have changed and I'm pretty sure that this would be okay as your doing this for a better future.
Original post by Jimmyforeal
Honestly, I understand how you feel but it's for university, your not going around acting like ISIS. I took the loan, you have to take into consideration the quraan was written many many decades ago, circumstances have changed and I'm pretty sure that this would be okay as your doing this for a better future.

If you have the opinion that the Qur'aan is outdated then you need to gain some ilm. The miracle of the Quraan is that it would never become outdated, and will survive till the end of time. It's hardly like the concept of engaging in riba to finance your business, education, healthcare was not unheard of, otherwise where the heck did the ruling come from. It's not okay to sacrifice your beliefs for this life!
Original post by KrazyHusna
If you have the opinion that the Qur'aan is outdated then you need to gain some ilm. The miracle of the Quraan is that it would never become outdated, and will survive till the end of time. It's hardly like the concept of engaging in riba to finance your business, education, healthcare was not unheard of, otherwise where the heck did the ruling come from. It's not okay to sacrifice your beliefs for this life!

I'm not saying sacrifice anything. I'm just saying, he who is the most forgiving will surely understand that some people are unable to pay the uni fee due to particular circumstances and have to resort in taking a loan. That's all
Original post by Jimmyforeal
I'm not saying sacrifice anything. I'm just saying, he who is the most forgiving will surely understand that some people are unable to pay the uni fee due to particular circumstances and have to resort in taking a loan. That's all

Allah is of course the Oft Forgiving and he no doubt understands the struggles of his creation. But as OP believes the student loan is haram, convincing OP to take the loan is akin to convincing him/her to sin, and that's a big no-no. It's better to advise the person to go and see their imam or someone more knowledgeable who can give them proper advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending