The Student Room Group

#Ferguson

Last Saturday a teenager who has been named as Mike Brown was shot by a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri.

Brown was allegedly involved in a armed robbery however the police officer had no knowledge of this at the time when he shot him.

Brown was walking home with his friend when the officer shot him several times and continued to shoot him while he was on the ground. Eyewitnesses say Mike had his arms up saying 'Don't shoot'.

The officer has been named as Darren Wilson and has not been arrested.

The police have been using military force to disperse protestors who gathered on Saturday in response to his unlawful killing, using tear gas and rubber bullets on them. They have also been criticised for inflaming the 'riots' and looting which occurred soon after. Police have been preventing onlookers from filming and even taking photographs. Police dismantled a Al Jazeera film crews' camera after gassing them.

You can watch it here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqp_LAVklA

The police have used excessive force in an attempt to prevent the rioting from escalating. However, the police donned in riot gear and equipped with machine guns and tanks seem to be having the opposite effect inciting backlash from protestors. A curfew has also been implemented. Palestinians have been offering advice to protestors on how to protect themselves from tear gas.

I think the response of the police was unnecessary and the use of brute force reminds me of what was used against people in civil rights protests in the 50s and 60s.

It's crazy to think a police officer could get away with murdering a teenager and he's not even being questioned.

Madness.

Glad you made it this far! What are your thoughts on this, hope no-one has asked this already :3 I apologise for any grammatical errors...

Ahahahaha not really! Ya bish!

If you wanna read the article it's here:
http://www.newsweek.com/police-name-officer-who-shot-mike-brown-darren-wilson-264788

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
These are images of actual police in Ferguson St Louis.Real picture of
Reply 2
If you want to kill black people and get away with it become an American cop. They look more like the US army than police these days and Obama supports this! race traitor Obama.
I wonder how much McDonalds paid for the product placement.
Reply 4
It's ridiculous. Ofc people wont care until this happens in a white neighborhood and white people are publicly executed via police brutality. But little do they know they are part of the bigger picture too. People are defending this and it's hard to tell if it's because they are slightly racist or because they are super brainwashed. If it's the latter, I have no doubt in my mind that their government will take advantage of their blind obedience to authority.
They saw Al Jazeera and probably thought they were terrorists.
The militarisation of American police departments by the "transfer excess Department of Defense property to law enforcement agencies across the United States and its territories" is alarming.
http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/leso/Pages/default.aspx
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/14/the-pentagon-gave-nearly-half-a-billion-dollars-of-military-gear-to-local-law-enforcement-last-year/
Police say they responded to looting, locals say the looting was outsiders.
Original post by Herr Lipp
If you want to kill black people and get away with it become an American cop. They look more like the US army than police these days and Obama supports this! race traitor Obama.

You're right. This happened with Travyon Martin, although Zimmerman was a ordinary citizen not a police officer the jury him acquitted of murder.

It's crazy, I think guns should be outlawed and the sheer force of the feds show they are in the wrong, its like they're trying to pacify the people. It's disgusting.

I think Obama has to remain neutral because of his colour. If he's seen siding with black people it won't look very good tbh he's there to serve Americans not just black ones lol.

But I do agree.
Original post by democracyforum
They saw Al Jazeera and probably thought they were terrorists.

Lmfao, I think the blokes looked white. Nonetheless they knew what they was doing was wrong and didn't want the world to see.

It's disgraceful.
Original post by reciproversexclu
The militarisation of American police departments by the "transfer excess Department of Defense property to law enforcement agencies across the United States and its territories" is alarming.
http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/leso/Pages/default.aspx
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/14/the-pentagon-gave-nearly-half-a-billion-dollars-of-military-gear-to-local-law-enforcement-last-year/
Police say they responded to looting, locals say the looting was outsiders.

****ing hell. You would think they're fighting a war not a few demonstrators! Why would a suburb need military grade weapons? They've brought it upon themselves now.

Whatever happens is down to the police it's their responsibility for waging war upon American people.
Original post by Independentisha
You're right. This happened with Travyon Martin, although Zimmerman was a ordinary citizen not a police officer the jury him acquitted of murder.

It's crazy, I think guns should be outlawed and the sheer force of the feds show they are in the wrong, its like they're trying to pacify the people. It's disgusting.

I think Obama has to remain neutral because of his colour. If he's seen siding with black people it won't look very good tbh he's there to serve Americans not just black ones lol.

But I do agree.

Guns should never be outlawed in the USA.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Guns should never be outlawed in the USA.

They defo should be. How many children need to be killed before they (the government) do something about it.

Or at least tighter regulations. I know it's your constitutional right but it's outdated.
They defo should be. How many children need to be killed before they (the government) do something about it.

Or at least tighter regulations. I know it's your constitutional right but it's outdated.

There are already tight regulations.

It is enshrined that Americans have the right to bear arms (including ammo). What you are saying equates to me saying that the public should no longer have the right to a fair trial. Never shall the people of the USA be forced to give up their arms (a factor that at least once has helped to prevent foreign invasion).

It is enshrined that Americans have the right to bear arms (including ammo). What you are saying equates to me saying that the public should no longer have the right to a fair trial. Never shall the people of the USA be forced to give up their arms (a factor that at least once has helped to prevent foreign invasion).

How can you equate having a weapon to having a fair trial? I don't see the correlation. You don't HAVE to have a weapon? Many countries don't and we're doing just fine.

Yeah but your officers seem to abuse their weapons shooting anybody they feel like. I think fair enough have a weapon but too many times now innocent people have been killed. Y'all need to sort your **** out.

It's not the 1700s anymore nobody's trying to colonise anybody well except for Russia maybe xD .
How can you equate having a weapon to having a fair trial? I don't see the correlation. You don't HAVE to have a weapon? Many countries don't and we're doing just fine.

Yeah but your officers seem to abuse their weapons shooting anybody they feel like. I think fair enough have a weapon but too many times now innocent people have been killed. Y'all need to sort your **** out.

It's not the 1700s anymore nobody's trying to colonise anybody well except for Russia maybe xD .

The comparison was about the importance of gun rights.

US police officers do not shoot "anybody they feel like", what a silly comment.

What about the innocent people that have been saved as a result of having guns?

Guns don't only protect against foreign aggressors, but also tyranny from your own government, the amendment was made for a reason.
The comparison was about the importance of gun rights.

US police officers do not shoot "anybody they feel like", what a silly comment.

What about the innocent people that have been saved as a result of having guns?

Guns don't only protect against foreign aggressors, but also tyranny from your own government, the amendment was made for a reason.

Silly you know. LOOOOOL

Yes they do mate, why is Brown dead? The officer had NO knowledge of the so called 'armed robbery', eye witnesses say he had his hands up saying 'don't shoot'. As far as i'm concerned that's 'anybody'.

And who the hell has been saved by a gun? That still means a loss of life, the easy way out. They're dangerous and your police enforcement do not know how to use em, too many innocents have been killed compared to the amount who have been saved.

Get rid of em.
Original post by Skip_Snip
I wonder how much McDonalds paid for the product placement.

Presenting tttthe Police
Brought to you in association with McDonald's

If you have to fall back on the fact that something is 'enshrined', you've got a pretty weak argument. There are lot of things in society that have been enshrined in the past that we have left behind as civilized society has progressed.
I'm worried for America. It's not been that long since the shocking shooting of Treyvon Martin and it's aftermath. This is only going to widen the gap.
Reply 19
Why is there a hashtag in this thread's title?

Quick Reply

Latest