The Student Room Group

Scared of people seeing my Facebook

I rarely go on Facebook and consequently my page is empty, I only have one picture up which is 4 years old and it's just a sad looking page lol. I don't want my flat and course mates' impressions of me to be made from this page so I don't know what to do... Everyone is on the halls' pages chatting but I don't want to join in because I'd rather they met me face to face and judged me for that. Facebook documents everyone's whole social history and I feel like my empty page would give a bad impression.

Is anyone else in a similar boat?
Reply 1
PS I know how silly this sounds lol, but I'm nervous enough about uni
Reply 2
Original post by Sparkliest
I rarely go on Facebook and consequently my page is empty, I only have one picture up which is 4 years old and it's just a sad looking page lol. I don't want my flat and course mates' impressions of me to be made from this page so I don't know what to do... Everyone is on the halls' pages chatting but I don't want to join in because I'd rather they met me face to face and judged me for that. Facebook documents everyone's whole social history and I feel like my empty page would give a bad impression.

Just say you barely use it, hence why the last photo of you is like 4 years old or whatever :smile: I don't think they'll care :smile:
Reply 3
You're definitely overthinking it. Just be honest and say you don't document your life over Facebook, who cares what anyone else thinks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Just say you don't use facebook? Delete it / make it private if you're that bothered that they will see your page?
Reply 5

Say that you rarely put anything on Facebook because you're nervous about the NSA snooping on you! :biggrin:
Delete your facebook and then start a new one and you can use that excuse. People use facebook at uni as a mini contest showing who is having the most fun. Your flatmates will want you tag you in photos and show your home friends you're enjoying yourself.

"A Guide to University by Actual Students" is on amazon for £1 and it's third years helping freshers-to-be with first year worries such as this!! :smile: good luck
I haven't used my facebook in years either lol. Meeting people face to face and going out in person is a much better way of making an impression on people, as opposed to your online profile. Don't worry about it.
Reply 8
A lot of people are moving on from Facebook, so it's not unusual to have a profile that you rarely update. As above, just be upfront and say you rarely use it - you might look cutting edge :smile:

FB's faded anyway. I only really use it for groups/events and chatting. Most people feel the same way, don't worry too much :smile:
Original post by cathrg26
FB's faded anyway. I only really use it for groups/events and chatting. Most people feel the same way, don't worry too much :smile:

I feel the same, hardly anyone uses FB anymore for status updates and everything else. I used to use it quite a bit but haven't wrote a status in a year.
I just made a Facebook so I can join in the groups, I guess you can do the same thing?
I doubt your flat/course mates are going to recognise everyone's name from facebook. If you want to start getting to know some people before you start then just pop up to them, the fact you've done that shows you're a friendly and social person. Besides there's loads of people that don't go on facebook anymore but have left their profiles on, many have moved to twitter instead
A lot of people are now moving away from it, so I doubt people will think anything of it.
I deleted mine about 2 years ago and recently got it again literally just for uni. I don't use it much and only have about 20 photos on it. I know how you feel because when you look at other peoples they have hundreds of photos of them doing loads of exciting stuff in all sorts of different countries. My photos are just me on a night out. Makes you feel like a loser in comparison almost.
Original post by RoundTrip
I deleted mine about 2 years ago and recently got it again literally just for uni. I don't use it much and only have about 20 photos on it. I know how you feel because when you look at other peoples they have hundreds of photos of them doing loads of exciting stuff in all sorts of different countries. My photos are just me on a night out. Makes you feel like a loser in comparison almost.

That would be because lots of people are keen, almost desperate, to give the impression that they are having the best time all of the time. People who give a more realistic impression of their lives don't get as much attention in an arena where 'likes' are up for grabs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who cares? Just say you can't really be bothered with it.
Reply 17
I think its time to change your facebook profile photo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending