The Student Room Group

Will my subjects get me into uni?

After my results (Distinction* in Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in IT, B in Psychology and D in Maths -dropped-) I decided to top up my subsidiary diploma to a full diploma. This means I will have the equivalent of 2 A levels in IT, and I should get another Distinction* which has the same UCAS points as an A*. I'm also aiming to keep my B in Psychology and I want to do Computer Science at University. I know many of the top 30 universities want Maths A level along with it, but some only require a B at GCSE (which I have an A), so my question is will a D*D* in BTEC Level 3 Diploma in IT and a B in Psychology get me onto a Computer Science BSc at a university that doesn't require A level Maths?
Reply 1
I have messed up my AS levels CCEE in computing, maths, chemistry and further maths. With the wisedom of hindsight I was struggling with further maths and bored by chemistry and should have dropped Further Maths when I realised but didn't.

I am a really good programmer and my computer teacher will be gutted I got a C but will understand. The first paper was a glossary of terms and the second really easy questions but they may not have understood the way I wrote on paper (I am used to just coding). I genuinely thought I had an A in this. I am reasonably confident that now I have dropped Further maths I could still get an A in computing (with resits and learning exam technique, an A or B in Maths with resiting C1 and C2) and maybe a C or D in Chemistry with actually taking AS and A2 in parallel this year. My worry is will the universities care - I want to study Computer Science or Software Engineering and only chose my subjects to meet their requirements? My GCSE results were fine. Will universities just judge me on my AS results or would they be able to tell from my personal statement and programming examples that I really can program well and have passion and ability in that one subject despite my C. The only result I am truly gutted about and didn't deserve was computing. Next year is half project and the other half a syllabus I already know.

I would really appreciate some advice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cheekyscrubm8
After my results (Distinction* in Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in IT, B in Psychology and D in Maths -dropped-) I decided to top up my subsidiary diploma to a full diploma. This means I will have the equivalent of 2 A levels in IT, and I should get another Distinction* which has the same UCAS points as an A*. I'm also aiming to keep my B in Psychology and I want to do Computer Science at University. I know many of the top 30 universities want Maths A level along with it, but some only require a B at GCSE (which I have an A), so my question is will a D*D* in BTEC Level 3 Diploma in IT and a B in Psychology get me onto a Computer Science BSc at a university that doesn't require A level Maths?

Should do. It's worth contacting admissions for each university that is of interest to you, or you might want to contact one of the senior lecturers, they'd be able to give you better advice.:smile:

Original post by opiniontd
I have messed up my AS levels CCEE in computing, maths, chemistry and further maths. With the wisedom of hindsight I was struggling with further maths and bored by chemistry and should have dropped Further Maths when I realised but didn't.

I am a really good programmer and my computer teacher will be gutted I got a C but will understand. The first paper was a glossary of terms and the second really easy questions but they may not have understood the way I wrote on paper (I am used to just coding). I genuinely thought I had an A in this. I am reasonably confident that now I have dropped Further maths I could still get an A in computing (with resits and learning exam technique, an A or B in Maths with resiting C1 and C2) and maybe a C or D in Chemistry with actually taking AS and A2 in parallel this year. My worry is will the universities care - I want to study Computer Science or Software Engineering and only chose my subjects to meet their requirements? My GCSE results were fine. Will universities just judge me on my AS results or would they be able to tell from my personal statement and programming examples that I really can program well and have passion and ability in that one subject despite my C. The only result I am truly gutted about and didn't deserve was computing. Next year is half project and the other half a syllabus I already know.

I would really appreciate some advice.

It depends on the university itself, although most places will only judge you on your final A2 results. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Binary Freak
Should do. It's worth contacting admissions for each university that is of interest to you, or you might want to contact one of the senior lecturers, they'd be able to give you better advice.:smile:

It depends on the university itself, although most places will only judge you on your final A2 results. :smile:

Do you think I will even get an interview though? Will they look at my AS grades and rule me out or do you think that they might give me a chance based on what I write in the rest of my application?
Do you think I will even get an interview though? Will they look at my AS grades and rule me out or do you think that they might give me a chance based on what I write in the rest of my application?

Yea, you'll probably get an interview, although it depends on the universities you have in mind.

Which universities do you have in mind, if you don't mind me asking:smile:

I had an exceptional reference and application (PS) and they ended up giving me an offer short of 80 UCAS points :smile:
Reply 5
I had been thinking of Bristol but have ruled this out now as know I will not get AAA at A2. I am still researching more realistic options. Any ideas anyone?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I had been thinking of Bristol but have ruled this out now as know I will not get AAA at A2. I am still researching more realistic options. Any ideas anyone?

I am thinking of Hull - course sounds interesting, first year syllabus seems easy though also Queen Marys as it only requires BBB but course sounds boring and campus sounds like a nightmare - but it is a Russell group Uni and in London which might mean better work placements and job prospects. No idea really.

Also looking into a sponsored degree as employers might value practical skills more highly.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending