The Student Room Group

Help deciding a university for Maths

Hi everyone,

I have the chance to go to either Birmingham, Bath or Manchester for MMaths.

How would you rank the strengths of these 3 departments in terms of teaching and research?

My order would be
Bath > Manchester > Birmingham
though having read Bill Lionheart's post, I'm unsure where to rank Manchester.

I personally would like to go to Bath though I'm worried that I will have fewer employment prospects there because it's "not a Russel group university". Some sources say all 3 are target universities but does anyone have any experience with breaking into IB with these 3 universities? Would it be better if I did a Masters at COWI? Would a COWI university take me in for a Masters if I did 3 years at Bath or Manchester? What about American universities (in particular the Ivy League establishments)? I'm pretty sure nobody knows about Bath outside the UK but it may be known for it's strong Maths research? Manchester on the other hand does have a global reputation..

I did apply to Warwick but narrowly missed my place there. I'm a gap year student so I don't really want to take another year out. Is it worth taking another year out just to get into Warwick if I want to break into IB later in life?

What would you do in my shoes? I don't know if I'm cut out for academia but want to keep my options open for both employment in the city and academia..
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest