The Student Room Group

Oxford E&M or Cambridge Econ?

I am thinking about applying to Cambridge econ. However, I heard that successful applicants got about the average of 95% UMS and my average ums is only 89.8% (93% in econ, 90.3% in FMaths, 89% in Maths and 87% in Physics) and my gcse results were 6 A*s 3As. What are chances of getting in? or would i stand a better chance if I were to apply for E&M at Oxford.
Original post by FMW96
I am thinking about applying to Cambridge econ. However, I heard that successful applicants got about the average of 95% UMS and my average ums is only 89.8% (93% in econ, 90.3% in FMaths, 89% in Maths and 87% in Physics) and my gcse results were 6 A*s 3As. What are chances of getting in? or would i stand a better chance if I were to apply for E&M at Oxford.

You won't definitely get called for interview and unless your interview is outstanding then I don't see how you would get an offer, so yes your chances fare better at Oxford, where you can impress with the TSA and interview. However, your GCSEs are a bit low for it but will suffice.
Reply 2
Also I am thinking about applying to lse and ucl for straight econ as well. so my five choices will be something similar to this :

1st: oxbridge? A*AA
2nd: lse A*AA
3rd: ucl A*AA
4th: edinburgh AAA
5th: Manchester or Lancaster AAB (or any other suggestions where entry requirement is AAB or below)

Do you think this is alright or is too risky with three A*AA uni on my list?
Original post by FMW96
too risky with three A*AA uni on my list?

Not at all. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get at least three offers.
Original post by FMW96
Also I am thinking about applying to lse and ucl for straight econ as well. so my five choices will be something similar to this :

1st: oxbridge? A*AA
2nd: lse A*AA
3rd: ucl A*AA
4th: edinburgh AAA
5th: Manchester or Lancaster AAB (or any other suggestions where entry requirement is AAB or below)

Do you think this is alright or is too risky with three A*AA uni on my list?

Seems like good choices to me. You should be able to bag Edinburgh and Manchester no problem, and UCL you have a really good chance too. LSE is harder to predict but if your PS is very good then you'll get an offer. You've got an outside chance for Cambridge and a decent shot at Oxford depending on your entrance exam/interview performance. It's still definitely worth having a go at Oxbridge though.

It might be a bit risky, but that's hypocritical from me since I applied to 5 A*AA standard offer courses.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Thanks for the helps. Now I am inclined slightly towards the Oxford course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending