The Student Room Group

Changes to Access to HE?

Hi everyone,

So i'm starting an Access course in September and i've just been reading through all the threads to do with the course. One particular post said there have been changes to do with the Access in terms of the GCSE equivalents. Does anyone know anything about this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm quoting here... ''The tutor gave us a basic outline of the course and asked for any questions, then asked to see our qualifications. Apparently the access course is changing this year, so 2014 applicants must have GCSE English and Maths.''

If this is true, would mature students with no Maths and English GCSEs have to take the qualification separately? In which case, how ridiculous seen as the entire access is designed to help those with no qualifications to get to uni!
I was told by my English teacher that from now on instead of being integrated the GCSE English and Maths qualifications are now separate, which unfortunately means more work for people doing Access courses this year onwards.
Reply 3
Original post by Frankston
I was told by my English teacher that from now on instead of being integrated the GCSE English and Maths qualifications are now separate, which unfortunately means more work for people doing Access courses this year onwards.

Hi, thanks for your reply

This all seems a little bit ludicrous seen as you're not automatically put onto English and Maths GCSE course ( or which ever one you require) So you'll have to enroll on that course separate from the access. How on earth are students supposed to get into Uni when most universities require GCSE Maths and English at grade C.

So you could potentially pass your Access with all distinctions and fail the Maths GCSE and be unable to get into Uni because of it. I'm a bit annoyed at this new rule actually, Argh!
Reply 4
Unis want all applicants to have GCSE English and Maths to grade C or above, to ensure a minimum level of literacy and numeracy. They used to accept Access courses as the equivalent, but quality varied so widely that many (most? all?) will no longer accept Access qualifications without the GCSEs.

Colleges have their hands tied. Access courses are specifically designed to get people into uni so there's now no point putting students through Access alone, as unis will just reject their applications automatically without the GCSEs.
Reply 5
I'm not sure that it's a completely new concept.. The college I went to this year made anyone without a C in Maths or English, or both, take the courses separately as no decent uni would accept them without it. I might be wrong, but the way I see it Access is a Level 3 course, so A level equivalent and you wouldn't expect to take your A levels without GCSE's so I think it makes sense that Access is the same and being able to take GCSE's separately rather than having to do them before starting Access is still a massive, time saving bonus. From what I gathered from other students on my course, they only did 1 class a week on Maths or English, so it didn't take up a lot of extra time, and if you can't pass GCSE Maths or English you should probably be questioning your ability to complete a uni course in my opinion.
It will depend on the college. Basically until now, Access courses included level 2 (GCSE equivalent) Maths. However, universities have stopped accepting this as GCSE equivalent (understandably to be honest - I've just finished my Access course and the level 2 Maths was far, far easier than GCSEs). This means that if you are applying for courses that require GCSE Maths and English, you will have to take the actual GCSEs, not just the level 2 equivalents that were formerly part of the access course. Obviously some Access students will already have these and some won't, so they can't really completely integrate it into the course, but for example my old college is running the GCSE Maths and English courses one day a week, purely for students on the Access course who need these qualifications, so you can take them alongside the Access. Obviously different colleges will approach it differently, but the change in university requirements are what has prompted this change in the Access courses.
Reply 7
Original post by Darkwater
I'm not sure that it's a completely new concept.. The college I went to this year made anyone without a C in Maths or English, or both, take the courses separately as no decent uni would accept them without it. I might be wrong, but the way I see it Access is a Level 3 course, so A level equivalent and you wouldn't expect to take your A levels without GCSE's so I think it makes sense that Access is the same and being able to take GCSE's separately rather than having to do them before starting Access is still a massive, time saving bonus. From what I gathered from other students on my course, they only did 1 class a week on Maths or English, so it didn't take up a lot of extra time, and if you can't pass GCSE Maths or English you should probably be questioning your ability to complete a uni course in my opinion.

I do think you are all right. But, I have to say, if you want to do a degree in English Literature, why on earth would you need a GCSE in Maths? I've looked around and a fair amount of Universities will accept you with the desired Access credits WITH grade C in English language and Literature GCSE - which to me makes 100% sense.

If you cannot get a Maths GCSE I personally think that has no bearing whatsoever on your ability to succeed in English subjects at university level, as after all, one deals with numbers and the other words.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Caulfe
I do think you are all right. But, I have to say, if you want to do a degree in English Literature, why on earth would you need a GCSE in Maths? I've looked around and a fair amount of Universities will accept you with the desired Access credits WITH grade C in English language and Literature GCSE - which to me makes 100% sense.

If you cannot get a Maths GCSE I personally think that has no bearing whatsoever on your ability to succeed in English subjects at university level, as after all, one deals with numbers and the other words.

I agree. To be honest, I thought it was only subjects like nursing, teaching, social work, and obviously anything scientific that asked for a C in Maths. It is certainly worth looking around at entry requirements, as they do vary from uni to uni, and also contacting any you're interested in and asking exactly what they will and won't accept.
Reply 9
Original post by Millie1986
I agree. To be honest, I thought it was only subjects like nursing, teaching, social work, and obviously anything scientific that asked for a C in Maths. It is certainly worth looking around at entry requirements, as they do vary from uni to uni, and also contacting any you're interested in and asking exactly what they will and won't accept.

Looking around at specific entry requirements, depending on the degree you won't always need certain GCSEs. I don't think it has anything to do with how prestigious the uni is but mainly based on each individual.
For a few of the universities I looked at for Nursing they accepted equivalents like Functional Skills Level 2. They also stated that the GCSE/Level 2 subjects had to be obtained prior to applying. I'm sure it just depends on the subject/university but to me it's a good thing Access are doing this, wouldn't feel very great applying and being rejected straight away because of Level 2 grades.

Lucky I had GCSEs in English and Functional Skills in Maths to fall back on. LearnDirect have very good Level 2 courses if the subject you want to study at university allows them.
Original post by roachesandratsx
For a few of the universities I looked at for Nursing they accepted equivalents like Functional Skills Level 2. They also stated that the GCSE/Level 2 subjects had to be obtained prior to applying. I'm sure it just depends on the subject/university but to me it's a good thing Access are doing this, wouldn't feel very great applying and being rejected straight away because of Level 2 grades.

Lucky I had GCSEs in English and Functional Skills in Maths to fall back on. LearnDirect have very good Level 2 courses if the subject you want to study at university allows them.

I believe that from next year nursing courses aren't accepting any level 2 courses except GCSEs, or certainly those in my area aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Millie1986
I believe that from next year nursing courses aren't accepting any level 2 courses except GCSEs, or certainly those in my area aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah! Didn't know that. Lucky I did 2014 entry then, thanks for the info.
Reply 13
Does anyone else have to wait until their first day in September to choose which modules they want? I've already enrolled back in April but haven't picked my modules yet.
I've just completed an Access course and our tutors had explained to us how the new course works after the changes come into effect this year. In the college I attended there is no need to already have Maths and English GCSE but they do insist you sign up for those GCSE as well if your chosen Uni course requires you to have them. Everyone has to sit a basic skills test for numeracy and literacy and I assume if your results are really bad you will need to do GCSE's first.

I chose to resit GCSE maths at the same time as I knew I would need to as I want to do a PGCE after my degree. I had already passed Maths & English with C at GCSE but teaching now needs a B grade in both subjects. It was much easier to study maths alongside the Access course as some of the topics were studied were also on the Access course so it was almost as if I had double the revision through the year. It did however get difficult when the exams came closer as I was also trying to juggle completing Access assignments. I still need to take English but I'll do that once I've got sorted for Uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
that's odd it's part of my course providing i can get through the interview and English/ numeracy test that I have to do.
Reply 16
Original post by New- Emperor
that's odd it's part of my course providing i can get through the interview and English/ numeracy test that I have to do.

Given the recent changes. it's worth checking with your target uni(s) that they'll accept the Access course alone (assuming you don't already have the GCSEs).
Original post by Caulfe
Hi everyone,

So I'm starting an Access course in September and i've just been reading through all the threads to do with the course. One particular post said there have been changes to do with the Access in terms of the GCSE equivalents. Does anyone know anything about this?

Yes this is right I just finished my Access course and I am going to uni this September.
My tutor had once announced an new access applicants must have both GCSE maths and English before being allowed on the course.

If you don't have those GSCE's you may be able to take them along side your access course providing the college allows this.
Original post by Klix88
Given the recent changes. it's worth checking with your target uni(s) that they'll accept the Access course alone (assuming you don't already have the GCSEs).

Well no I don't I have an an E in math and a D in English the math and English GCSE's are part of my new course so o kinda have to retake anyway
Reply 19
I'm going to assume if GCSES maths (for an English Lit degree) isn't listed as a nessesity on the specific requirements on the website then it's not needed to get onto the course.

I know specific uni's like Brunel require both maths and English at C grade.

Quick Reply

Latest