The Student Room Group

Applying for Cambridge after getting A level results

So I’ve been seriously thinking about reapplying to Cambridge. I received in my A Levels A* English lit A* History and A* Art

I got 3As last year and a C in French (although I did have some extenuating circumstances regarding this). Problem is my GCSEs are very below average for Oxbridge 3A*s 5As 3Bs (maths&science) and C (physics) - Clearly i'm not a science or math applicant lol. - (I am state school educated)

I have a very good offer for English Lit at UCL so i'm highly apprehensive about relinquishing it! However I can't help thinking this is something that might bug me for the rest of my life if i don't do it.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP! I need to decide quickly. While I would obvs do lots of things in my gap year but it would be a giant risk as I may not get into UCL second time round.

I did apply for Oxford last year but was rejected (admittedly my ELAT was a shambles). I'd be applying for English Lit. A friend of mine with very similar grades was offered a place at Cambridge which is what has got me thinking.
Original post by Hannah-Spanner
So I’ve been seriously thinking about reapplying to Cambridge. I received in my A Levels A* English lit A* History and A* Art

I got 3As last year and a C in French (although I did have some extenuating circumstances regarding this). Problem is my GCSEs are very below average for Oxbridge 3A*s 5As 3Bs (maths&science) and C (physics) - Clearly i'm not a science or math applicant lol. - (I am state school educated)

I have a very good offer for English Lit at UCL so i'm highly apprehensive about relinquishing it! However I can't help thinking this is something that might bug me for the rest of my life if i don't do it.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP! I need to decide quickly. While I would obvs do lots of things in my gap year but it would be a giant risk as I may not get into UCL second time round.

I did apply for Oxford last year but was rejected (admittedly my ELAT was a shambles). I'd be applying for English Lit. A friend of mine with very similar grades was offered a place at Cambridge which is what has got me thinking.

You would be weak for carrying Art on. However, your grades are good and your GCSEs definitely aren't under average for Cambridge. Oxford cares more about GCSEs.

I would take up your offer and go to UCL. UCL is an amazing University and English is incredibly hard to get onto there. Go there.
Reply 2
Go to UCL. It is a great university, it is in London, it highly valued by employers. I can't deny that a degree from Cambridge sounds more impressive, but it does so because of its name. It would be foolish to miss out on such a great opportunity because Cambridge looks nicer on your CV. UCL is no less renowned, and I am sure you would enjoy the next 3-4 years of your life there more than you would at Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending