The Student Room Group

I am so disappointed with my AS results.

I want to apply to Russell Group universities for BA linguistics. My first choice is UCL then York. The entry requirements range from AAB - ABB (I think) and I only acheived BBCC. The B's are in philosophy and ethics (almost A) and french and the Cs are psychology and Eng lit.
I was wondering what grade I have the potential of achieving with these AS grades if I work my butt off...obviously won't be A*s...but will I be able to get As/B's? ?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 96parkj2
I want to apply to Russell Brand universities for BA linguistics. My first choice is UCL then York. The entry requirements range from AAB - ABB (I think) and I only acheived BBCC. The B's are in philosophy and ethics (almost A) and french and the Cs are psychology and Eng lit.
I was wondering what predicted grades (for overall A2 grades) my school will send off to the UNIs....is there a rough guess that you guys can help me out? I'm desperate to do well :frown:

Are you serious? Haha.

Normally AS grades will = Predicted grades, unless you were halfway between the grade above then you may get predicted the grade above. You'll have to contact your teachers.
Reply 2
Original post by Dylann
Are you serious? Haha.

Normally AS grades will = Predicted grades, unless you were halfway between the grade above then you may get predicted the grade above. You'll have to contact your teachers.

What do you mean am I serious...?
Oh ok haha thank you. For some reason I thought they sent off the predicted grade for A2 looool my bad..
But do you think the UNIs will give a conditional offer with these AS grades or is it wayyyy out..
Reply 3
What do you mean am I serious...?
Oh ok haha thank you. For some reason I thought they sent off the predicted grade for A2 looool my bad..
But do you think the UNIs will give a conditional offer with these AS grades or is it wayyyy out..

"Russell Brand" universities. Russell Group lol.

No you are right, they do send off predicted grades to University. I think it depends on PS/Interview/GCSEs on whether or not you get a conditional :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Dylann
"Russell Brand" universities. Russell Group lol.

No you are right, they do send off predicted grades to University. I think it depends on PS/Interview/GCSEs on whether or not you get a conditional :smile:

Oh hahahhhha idk why I wrote that. Edited straight away xD
And thank you ! I better write an amazing PS
Yes you can. If you put more effort in you can. As far as predictions are concerned some teachers will predict you a grade higher than your AS grade. This was the case for me.
I heard that predicted grades have been out by as much 3 grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Unknown_user
Yes you can. If you put more effort in you can. As far as predictions are concerned some teachers will predict you a grade higher than your AS grade. This was the case for me.

Honestly, you don't know how happy this makes me feel. I felt so stupid bc all my friends got A/B grades. .I didn't even go to the celebration party :/ too worried about my life haha. And can discussing with teachers about predicted grades actually make then adjust it?
Reply 8
Original post by georgeheal
I heard that predicted grades have been out by as much 3 grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

What?! So e.g I got a high B for Philo ethics. ..and my predicted grade could be an A* as long as I negotiate with my teacher? Whattt
Reply 9
I got BBCD at AS and managed to get predicted ABB and got offers from Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff, and Exeter. I got the grades but you have to work a LOT harder to improve by that amount. Its definitely achievable though!
Reply 10
Original post by hannah33
I got BBCD at AS and managed to get predicted ABB and got offers from Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff, and Exeter. I got the grades but you have to work a LOT harder to improve by that amount. Its definitely achievable though!

Wow that's amazing!! You've given me hope looool
How did you get the teachers to give you such high predicted grades???
I found that the universities looked at my predicted grades more than my AS results.
I also applied to courses with entry requirements of AAB-ABB, with AS results of BCCD, but predicted results of ABB.
I got offers from all but 1 of my choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just read this after I made my comment, I had the exact same situation last year lol. Even the offer from Exeter! (Which I accepted)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes definitely talk to them about it about the course you are going to do and the predicted grades you require. As long as you are making an effort in class, do good in test and essays etc it will show your teacher you are putting more effort in so they may predict you high grades. But remember A2 is harder than AS so put in double the effort.
I want to apply to Russell Group universities for BA linguistics. My first choice is UCL then York. The entry requirements range from AAB - ABB (I think) and I only acheived BBCC. The B's are in philosophy and ethics (almost A) and french and the Cs are psychology and Eng lit.
I was wondering what grade I have the potential of achieving with these AS grades if I work my butt off...obviously won't be A*s...but will I be able to get As/B's? ?

It's ok. You're still much better off than homeless people and benefit thief's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Unknown_user
Yes definitely talk to them about it about the course you are going to do and the predicted grades you require. As long as you are making an effort in class, do good in test and essays etc it will show your teacher you are putting more effort in so they may predict you high grades. But remember A2 is harder than AS so put in double the effort.

Oh ok thank you!
Well...here I come coffee and sleepless nights :/ Oh well it will be worth it in the end!
I've already started revising for my subjects haha
Reply 16
Wow that's amazing!! You've given me hope looool
How did you get the teachers to give you such high predicted grades???

Just have to convince them and say you need it for uni! I mistyped, I actually got BBCE haha. I resat most of my exams though. If im honest I dont think UCL would accept those AS grades but I could be wrong!
Reply 17
Just have to convince them and say you need it for uni! I mistyped, I actually got BBCE haha. I resat most of my exams though. If im honest I dont think UCL would accept those AS grades but I could be wrong!

Oh but you said you got predicted ABB
The requirements from UCL are ABB haha so
hopefully they will accept me, fingers crossed. I just need to make my PS outstanding
Reply 18
Oh but you said you got predicted ABB
The requirements from UCL are ABB haha so
hopefully they will accept me, fingers crossed. I just need to make my PS outstanding

I got ABB at A Level and BBCE at AS Level (E in physics ughhh). UCL was AAA for my course so yeah I dont see any harm in trying if its ABB!
Reply 19
I got ABB at A Level and BBCE at AS Level (E in physics ughhh). UCL was AAA for my course so yeah I dont see any harm in trying if its ABB!

Physics is so hard though :redface: so which uni do you go to?
Also, did you "not try" in AS levels or just had a hard exam? Because I felt like I tried really hard but obvs my grades show otherwise :/ it annoys me that I didn't get the grades I felt I had worked for and it scares me that even if I "try" my A2 grades won't be good bc my brain just won't function that way. Haha what I mean is, how much more work did you put in to boost them grades up by that much?! Sorry for all these questions :/

Quick Reply

Latest