The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

lincoln what do you want to know?

hello all. I have made this thread for anyone with any questions about Lincoln as a student now going in to my 3rd year I fell I know a lot about the place. so ask away

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First of all what are you studying? Secondly, how much support were you given during your course, did you feel like you could always go to someone for help if you didn't understand something?
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonkuni
First of all what are you studying? Secondly, how much support were you given during your course, did you feel like you could always go to someone for help if you didn't understand something?

I study film and tv and I think I got a good level of support.
Reply 3
Do you know anyone on the Contemporary Lens Media course? do they enjoy it? Do you think it looks like a good course?
Reply 4
Original post by Jenifa85
Do you know anyone on the Contemporary Lens Media course? do they enjoy it? Do you think it looks like a good course?

from what I have heard its quite good but I don't personally know anyone on it I am afraid
Hi i know this probably sounds like a stupid question but when we move into the on campus accomodation is there anywhere to park so we can move all our stuff in ?
Hi!
Is there a gym on campus and if so how pricey is it?
Reply 7
Original post by natashaowen
Hi i know this probably sounds like a stupid question but when we move into the on campus accomodation is there anywhere to park so we can move all our stuff in ?
yes they all have parking
Reply 8
Original post by mnyegaardlarsen
Hi!
Is there a gym on campus and if so how pricey is it?
there is its in the sports building last time I heard it was around £17 for a couple of months

I was on the Contemporary Lens Media course, before I left for health reasons. I did enjoy it to begin with, you learn a lot of interesting things. But it depends on what you're focused on.

I found that if you're a Moving Image focused person, you'll find yourself alienated, as a lot of people take the course mainly to do the Photography aspect. Most of the people on my course were like 'I've never done film, I wanted to see what it was like'.

Oh, and there are a lot of rules to filmmaking that they don't teach you, but they teach you all the rules of photography. Guess that's biased in photography's favour?

I was in the Thomas Parker House for my course, and it's since moved on-campus. It's probably better now, but I didn't rate it too highly.

You'd be better off with more than just my opinion. I only did the course for around three months before I left.

I hated some of my flatmates too, so I don't think that helped much.

If you're focusing mostly on one aspect of the course, you'd be better off doing that specific course (if you're interested in Moving Image mainly, I'd suggest choosing Film Studies).
Reply 10
Original post by LaughingKitsune
I was on the Contemporary Lens Media course, before I left for health reasons. I did enjoy it to begin with, you learn a lot of interesting things. But it depends on what you're focused on.

I found that if you're a Moving Image focused person, you'll find yourself alienated, as a lot of people take the course mainly to do the Photography aspect. Most of the people on my course were like 'I've never done film, I wanted to see what it was like'.

Oh, and there are a lot of rules to filmmaking that they don't teach you, but they teach you all the rules of photography. Guess that's biased in photography's favour?

I was in the Thomas Parker House for my course, and it's since moved on-campus. It's probably better now, but I didn't rate it too highly.

You'd be better off with more than just my opinion. I only did the course for around three months before I left.

I hated some of my flatmates too, so I don't think that helped much.

If you're focusing mostly on one aspect of the course, you'd be better off doing that specific course (if you're interested in Moving Image mainly, I'd suggest choosing Film Studies).

thanks for your answer! I had just seen a couple of bad things about the course and wanted an opinion. everything you said is understandable though, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a couple of questions.
The first is how much are the posters in the poster sale? (Everything else that I'm interested in for the welcome week is free as far as I know - the fairs). The second is how would you rate the gym? I'm considering joining the gym but I also want to learn kick-boxing or different gym classes. :/
I'm taking Film and TV. What's it like, as a whole? I know you said that you felt like you got a good level of support earlier.
Reply 12
Original post by Bookworm452
I have a couple of questions.
The first is how much are the posters in the poster sale? (Everything else that I'm interested in for the welcome week is free as far as I know - the fairs). The second is how would you rate the gym? I'm considering joining the gym but I also want to learn kick-boxing or different gym classes. :/
I'm taking Film and TV. What's it like, as a whole? I know you said that you felt like you got a good level of support earlier.

well if I remember the posters were about £3 or slightly moor for a big one.
I only went in the gym ones but it seemed to have most things no punch bags or anything like that but every thing else you would expect.
as for film and TV the work is split between practical and theory modules. in first year you do both single cam witch is short films and multi cam witch is in the tv studio.
Reply 13
thanks for your answer! I had just seen a couple of bad things about the course and wanted an opinion. everything you said is understandable though, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What bad things? Going to be studying it as well all I've heard is good things its like all university courses its what you make of it. I'm more moving image based during the interview they said it's up to you on how much photography or moving image you do.
Reply 14
Original post by Dorking
What bad things? Going to be studying it as well all I've heard is good things its like all university courses its what you make of it. I'm more moving image based during the interview they said it's up to you on how much photography or moving image you do.

its easy to worry to much about these things I am shore it will be fine
Reply 15
Hi!
I'm an international student and my previous university was very different from the rest. Could you tell me how to register for classes or look up your schedules and such? Thanks!
Reply 16
when you enroll you will get your timetable on blackboard witch you will have to log into using your student nubber. when you say different how different do you mean. if you let me know if might be easer to fill you in on what you dont know
Reply 17
Original post by 93jm
when you enroll you will get your timetable on blackboard witch you will have to log into using your student nubber. when you say different how different do you mean. if you let me know if might be easer to fill you in on what you dont know

I've enrolled yesterday and there wasnt any timetable on any blackboards? But i'll check again this monday as the supposed dates for undergraduates enrollment starts then.

My previous university didnt allow ua to choose our classes or timetable or anything. It's a determined set of classes and time for each student so once i register i just basically click "ok" a hundred times at the portal and i'm done. That's why i'm a bit clueless when it comes to this as i have never done this before.

Thanks for your help!! I appreciate it so much
Reply 18
Hi! Whats the nightlife in Lincoln like? Also whats the female to male ratio at the uni?
Reply 19
Original post by rew96
Hi! Whats the nightlife in Lincoln like? Also whats the female to male ratio at the uni?

Night life is good, always things going on from tuesday-saturday. In general, the female to male ratio is probably a close 50/50, but it all depends on your course.

Quick Reply

Latest