The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Anyone studying Chemical Engineering this September?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MaleeMalus
hahaha that is so true,
but is not that for people who can perfectly cook? lol

Could be. Only way to know is to attend :biggrin:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Well, I got the offer,I did not get Henry price :frown:
I got Lupton halls,which is off campus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by TV20
Could be. Only way to know is to attend :biggrin:

yeah I will consider attending too Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
yeah I will consider attending too Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great! :smile:

It occurred to me that theres this one question that I thought would be appropriate to ask you,

Are we in the meth business, or the money business??

Ohh and fortunately long story short I think we both know the answer to that question… We’re in the food making business! :wink:
Reply 24
lol tell me about that 😉

So I am making a list things t need to take with me turn uni,it is endless 😰
so many things to buy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
lol tell me about that 😉

So I am making a list things t need to take with me turn uni,it is endless 😰
so many things to buy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess that is what happens at the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

However in any case I still like to make cherry product, but let's not get too exposed :smile:
Reply 26
haha yeah, I can't wait :smile:
can I ask you guys a question?
did you always know from the beginning that u want to do chemical engineering?
or was that a sudden decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
haha yeah, I can't wait :smile:
can I ask you guys a question?
did you always know from the beginning that u want to do chemical engineering?
or was that a sudden decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well to start, I always enjoyed doing Math’s in school. With every new question there was this new challenge which after completion gave me this exhilarating satisfaction which led me to another question.

As soon as I started GCSE Chemistry, it made me wonder how can all substances around us be made of the same finite number of elements but still look and function differently, and this eagerness to know and understand led me to explore the vast universe of chemistry.

Hence, I had to somehow include both of the subjects and when combining the two knowledge giants only then I realised that chemical engineering is the career that I wish to pursue.

I hope that answers your question :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by TV20
Well to start, I always enjoyed doing Math’s in school. With every new question there was this new challenge which after completion gave me this exhilarating satisfaction which led me to another question.

As soon as I started GCSE Chemistry, it made me wonder how can all substances around us be made of the same finite number of elements but still look and function differently, and this eagerness to know and understand led me to explore the vast universe of chemistry.

Hence, I had to somehow include both of the subjects and when combining the two knowledge giants only then I realised that chemical engineering is the career that I wish to pursue.

I hope that answers your question :smile:

Wow,that was a really good answer and I loved reading it,you must have written an excellent personal statement.
I originally applied for Medicine, i never thought that I would do chemical engineering tbh.
But here I am,going to study chem eng and I think I will enjoy it more than medicine. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey im from malaysia and will be taking chemical engineering too :smile:
it will be such a new experience for me to be with a great people like you all
hope to see you guys around later
Reply 30
Wow,that was a really good answer and I loved reading it,you must have written an excellent personal statement.
I originally applied for Medicine, i never thought that I would do chemical engineering tbh.
But here I am,going to study chem eng and I think I will enjoy it more than medicine. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I guess it was ok, and I’m sure yours met a good standard too! :smile:

Somewhere in my unexplored cranial cavity lies a question which makes me wonder aloud, unable to hold my curiosity, which forces me to think that I could also ask you a question.

It follows something along the lines of:

Are you doing any kind of module/curriculum preparation? For example doing the higher standard maths now, that we will have to learn once the day shows up? In order to know something rather than nothing?

Or do you think it's a bit pointless doing it now, since we’ll have to do it later anyway? :curious:
Reply 31
Original post by adihaniii
hey im from malaysia and will be taking chemical engineering too :smile:
it will be such a new experience for me to be with a great people like you all
hope to see you guys around later

I think its a reasonable assumption to make that we’ll have an amazing time! :smile:
Original post by TV20
I think its a reasonable assumption to make that we’ll have an amazing time! :smile:

For lectures, do you think it is necessary to get an ipad or tablet. I heard we will be given a lot of notes in pdf or doc files.
Reply 33
Original post by adihaniii
For lectures, do you think it is necessary to get an ipad or tablet. I heard we will be given a lot of notes in pdf or doc files.

Not sure about an iPad or tablet. I just got the updated (29th July) macbook pro ret 13 inch as it's a much more powerful device, and if you say that we will be getting a huge amount of notes, I think that its more comfortable to organise, look and use them with a macbook.

Whats good about the recent update of the macbook is that you get twice the RAM for the same price. And you still get the 14% discount as you would with an iPad.
Reply 34
Original post by TV20
Well I guess it was ok, and I’m sure yours met a good standard too! :smile:

Somewhere in my unexplored cranial cavity lies a question which makes me wonder aloud, unable to hold my curiosity, which forces me to think that I could also ask you a question.

It follows something along the lines of:

Are you doing any kind of module/curriculum preparation? For example doing the higher standard maths now, that we will have to learn once the day shows up? In order to know something rather than nothing?

Or do you think it's a bit pointless doing it now, since we’ll have to do it later anyway? :curious:

Well,if I be honest with you,I did not even hold a pen for a long time,and I had to sign my name on a paper a few days back, I could not even write my name,LOL,it felt like I am not so used to writing, so I will just start writing random stuff,otherwise it will be so hard for me to take notes once I start uni.
And to answer your question, simply I have not done any curriculum preparation at all.
Reply 35
Hey guys, I'm doing chemical engineering as well! Have any of you thought about the year in industry and if so what years you would do it in?
Reply 36
Well,if I be honest with you,I did not even hold a pen for a long time,and I had to sign my name on a paper a few days back, I could not even write my name,LOL,it felt like I am not so used to writing, so I will just start writing random stuff,otherwise it will be so hard for me to take notes once I start uni.
And to answer your question, simply I have not done any curriculum preparation at all.

Ok. Speaking of curriculum, have you chosen your optional module for the course yet?

I’m thinking of picking intro to petroleum engineering as it looks most interesting and beneficial when compared to others. In addition to that, it’ll let me do petroleum engineering in year 2 if matters change.
Reply 37
Original post by ee9618
Hey guys, I'm doing chemical engineering as well! Have any of you thought about the year in industry and if so what years you would do it in?

Hey, generally students do the industrial placement year after successfully completing year 2. After year 1 some also go on to look for an internship, but for that I believe you need to achieve an appropriately high result. A 40% pass would most likely never be adequate.
Reply 38
Original post by TV20
Hey, generally students do the industrial placement year after successfully completing year 2. After year 1 some also go on to look for an internship, but for that I believe you need to achieve an appropriately high result. A 40% pass would most likely never be adequate.

Yeah, you can also do it after year 3 instead though which to me seems like the better idea as you would know more. Do you think you are going to look into doing either?
Reply 39
Original post by ee9618
Yeah, you can also do it after year 3 instead though which to me seems like the better idea as you would know more. Do you think you are going to look into doing either?

Definitely. Have you chosen your optional module yet?

Quick Reply

Latest