The Student Room Group

isnt feminism pointless now women are basicaly equal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Mia1001
Okay chill. I'm sorry I misinterpreted your quotes. I would disagree that "being able to dress how you want and talking how you want" are frivolous pleasures though. In some Middle Eastern areas, women can't even do that.
I think the point of an equal society is that we are able to revolt to show a freedom of speech.

We're not in the Middle East. Fighting for women's rights is apart of civil rights normally, that means it benefits those fighters' countries, not the world. Did civil rights like women's suffrage that you love to bring up impact the treatment of women in Middle East? No :colonhash: So please don't get sentimental and bring in irrelevant subjects like the middle east and voting.

I can't "chill" when someone misinterprets me and tells me "you don't understand anything." But whatever. I clicked your post to view it after blocking by the way because I saw two back to back posts from you and thought you were going in and I was gonna address it but nvm. Only one was for me lol
Reply 261
Original post by Eugenie Grandet
Don't get rude.

There are plenty of men and women that define as feminists who are well-adjusted and popular but think that how women continue to be treated and represented in society is wrong.

Women are treated just fine in US/UK, if not, prove me wrong with bulleted facts........If you try to copout and prove your point by mentioning other countries (which is irrelevant, as women's rights normally fall under civil rights of their country), then please refrain now from responding. :smile:
Original post by Mia1001
Women didn't always have the right to vote, hun. You said the activists fighting for rights were frivolous. If it weren't for the Suffragettes women would have waited a lot longer for that right than 1918.

You are probably right, but perhaps not for the reasons you think. It's difficult to say whether the timing of women gaining the vote can be mainly attributed to the Suffragettes' attempts to gain it. The introduction of votes for women coincided with the conclusion of WWI, during which the Suffragettes actually turned their efforts away from campaigning for votes for women (efforts which, until that point, had been unsuccessful), and toward pitching in with the war effort. This led to a turn in the public opinion of what women were capable of doing, and it was this which seemingly catalysed the process of extending votes to women, as well as widening the vote to all men. Incidentally, the government had realised that most of the men returning from war would not, themselves, be able to vote, and the legislative changes encompassed these men and the women in kind, their war efforts having shaken the received views of women and the male working class.

When introducing the Representation of the People Act 1918, the home secretary George Cave said:

"War by all classes of our countrymen has brought us nearer together...and removed misunderstandings on all sides. It has made it, I think, impossible that ever again...there should be a revival of the old class feeling which was responsible for...among other things...the exclusion...of so many of our population from the class of electors."

I guess the message is: feminism isn't pointless, but actions sometimes speak louder than words.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mia1001
An average intelligence that is higher would suggest more consistency, but also more people in the higher proportion and less in the lower proportion. And I did say that IQ is not a measure of academic achievement. Employers look for graduates, not those with high IQs.

A higher average does not imply lower variance. You do not understand what variance means. Please look it up before you enter into a debate about it.

"The latest study, in this week's journal Science, examined scores from seven million students who took statewide mathematics tests from grades two through 11 in 10 states between 2005 and 2007.

The researchers, from the University of Wisconsin and the University of California, Berkeley, didn't find a significant overall difference between girls' and boys' scores. But the study also found that boys' scores were more variable than those of girls. More boys scored extremely well -- or extremely poorly -- than girls, who were more likely to earn scores closer to the average for all students.

One measure of a top score is achieving the "99th percentile" -- scoring in the top 1% of all students. Boys were significantly more likely to hit this goal than girls.

In Minnesota, for example, 1.85% of white boys in the 11th grade hit the 99th percentile, compared with 0.9% of girls -- meaning there were more than twice as many boys among the top scorers than girls.
"
Original post by GeorgeBradford

its obvious feminism has gone too far. a man can hardly approach a woman now before being accused as a rapist. Many gestures seen as romantic in many other countries would be classed as sexual assault in the uk. if a woman decided to get hammered and gets assaulted, apparently it's in no way her fault because women have a right to drink, therefore they can disregard their own safety.

If the way you approach women is getting you accused of being a rapist you need to learn some basic social skills about how to interact with people.
Original post by Mia1001
An average intelligence that is higher would suggest more consistency, but also more people in the higher proportion and less in the lower proportion. And I did say that IQ is not a measure of academic achievement. Employers look for graduates, not those with high IQs.

But it doesn't necessarily say anything about the highest and the lowest hence where standard deviation of IQ comes in.
Original post by ClickItBack
A higher average does not imply lower variance. You do not understand what variance means. Please look it up before you enter into a debate about it.

"The latest study, in this week's journal Science, examined scores from seven million students who took statewide mathematics tests from grades two through 11 in 10 states between 2005 and 2007.

The researchers, from the University of Wisconsin and the University of California, Berkeley, didn't find a significant overall difference between girls' and boys' scores. But the study also found that boys' scores were more variable than those of girls. More boys scored extremely well -- or extremely poorly -- than girls, who were more likely to earn scores closer to the average for all students.

One measure of a top score is achieving the "99th percentile" -- scoring in the top 1% of all students. Boys were significantly more likely to hit this goal than girls.

In Minnesota, for example, 1.85% of white boys in the 11th grade hit the 99th percentile, compared with 0.9% of girls -- meaning there were more than twice as many boys among the top scorers than girls.
"

Your study is a valid point however does not show a true picture of the whole of society. It focuses on maths, which is known to be a male-dominated subject. Also you did state it focuses on white students, a somewhat distorted representation of society. I was actually talking about an overall view of intellect. It is true that males tend to chose mathematical subjects and sciences, but females choose languages and also chemistry is rising too. Maths alone cannot be used to show intelligence. My point specially stuck to GCSEs and England. There has been a steady increase in the gap between males and females receiving top marks. Obviously it depends on the subjects they take, but generally more A*s are awarded in maths than in language based subjects. I think that the gap will begin to narrow though, as more students choose the staple "maths, English, science, history" etc subjects for a levels.
I wonder why women prefer not to do maths orientated subjects? And why men do not choose language based ones? I am yet to see a study on that matter.
Original post by Mia1001
Your study is a valid point however does not show a true picture of the whole of society. It focuses on maths, which is known to be a male-dominated subject. Also you did state it focuses on white students, a somewhat distorted representation of society. I was actually talking about an overall view of intellect. It is true that males tend to chose mathematical subjects and sciences, but females choose languages and also chemistry is rising too. Maths alone cannot be used to show intelligence. My point specially stuck to GCSEs and England. There has been a steady increase in the gap between males and females receiving top marks. Obviously it depends on the subjects they take, but generally more A*s are awarded in maths than in language based subjects. I think that the gap will begin to narrow though, as more students choose the staple "maths, English, science, history" etc subjects for a levels.

I wouldn't say that exams can be used as indicators, the exam boards make the exams to sell them, part of that is very high rates of the top grades, so unless you analyse the raw scores you can't pull too much information out of it. But, if you're going to look at exam results to determine what people would think of as raw intelligence, such as is measured in IQ tests, maths is probably the best thing to look at, even if at the lower levels the skills aren't being tested too much. The main problem is that you can't test intelligence in a single test, to truly test intelligence you need to be testing their emotional intelligence, problem solving skills, logical skills etc rather than just one thing.

I wonder why women prefer not to do maths orientated subjects? And why men do not choose language based ones? I am yet to see a study on that matter.

I believe that is widely regarded to be due to past socio-economic influences, namely women being expected to stay at home or do fairly simple work and the men expected to go into more intellectual roles (or at least each being relative to the other sex)
Original post by Jammy Duel
I wouldn't say that exams can be used as indicators, the exam boards make the exams to sell them, part of that is very high rates of the top grades, so unless you analyse the raw scores you can't pull too much information out of it. But, if you're going to look at exam results to determine what people would think of as raw intelligence, such as is measured in IQ tests, maths is probably the best thing to look at, even if at the lower levels the skills aren't being tested too much. The main problem is that you can't test intelligence in a single test, to truly test intelligence you need to be testing their emotional intelligence, problem solving skills, logical skills etc rather than just one thing.

I believe that is widely regarded to be due to past socio-economic influences, namely women being expected to stay at home or do fairly simple work and the men expected to go into more intellectual roles (or at least each being relative to the other sex)

I definitely agree with your first point, it is hard to measure intelligence, though I suspect that exams are the closest we will get to measuring it. There is a correlation between high IQs and high test scores but that doesn't mean that one can't happen without the other.
And your second point is definitely correct. It leads me to believe that feminism is necessary to overcome these quite frankly outdated beliefs. Opportunities should be given to women (like free child support) so they don't feel that they have to stay at home. I'm not saying women should be given special treatment. They should however be able to start at the same point as men. I think some women are unable to work because of children and other home factors, and they shouldn't be disadvantaged for being a woman.
Original post by KatieLL98
I do agree that the stereotyping of men has gone too far. I use tumblr a lot, and people on there seem to think it's okay to make fun of men, call them disgusting, pigs, rapists etc when most of the guys on there are actually decent people. Also I do agree with you that women shouldn't think it's okay to get completely hammered and be surprised if they do happen to get assaulted. They should use their common sense, just like men should. Getting completely, passed out drunk is never really a good idea no matter what your gender is. However, I don't think that feminism is pointless. There's still such a thing as the wage gap, and we've got to remember that the UK isn't the only country in the world. Just because women and men are more or less completely equal here, doesn't mean that they are in other places. In Saudi Arabia, women aren't even allowed to drive. And the feminist movements in the UK inspire oppressed women in other countries to fight for their own rights.

So take it elsewhere, go protest in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan. We don't need all-women shortlists in politics or quotas in business. Equality means equal (funny, that), so let's not discriminate in any way and let ability be the discriminator, as it should be.
Original post by GeorgeBradford
sorry but everywhere I look in society, women basically have equal rights with men. Women are treated equally at any important level (like in the law) - surely they have little to complain about?

its obvious feminism has gone too far. a man can hardly approach a woman now before being accused as a rapist. Many gestures seen as romantic in many other countries would be classed as sexual assault in the uk. if a woman decided to get hammered and gets assaulted, apparently it's in no way her fault because women have a right to drink, therefore they can disregard their own safety.

it's about time feminism, with its stereotyping of men as power-hungry sexual predators and women as innocent victims, changed its agenda to suit reality and not what its followers percieve.

Yeah but you would say that your a guy, it unlikely that you have any experience of what it's like to live as a woman so you can't really make a sweeping statement like that. Even some women may agree with you and I certainly would have when I was younger. I used to be really anti feminist before I actually thought about it and started experiencing things that I realised my brothers and my dad and other guys in my life weren't experiencing and would never have to. Modern sexism is so ingrained that unless your on the receiving end of it, you don't really notice it, and I guess that's kind of the idea. If everyone noticed it, less people would accept it and then I guess, down with the patriarchy....haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ellieb2302
Yeah but you would say that your a guy, it unlikely that you have any experience of what it's like to live as a woman so you can't really make a sweeping statement like that. Even some women may agree with you and I certainly would have when I was younger. I used to be really anti feminist before I actually thought about it and started experiencing things that I realised my brothers and my dad and other guys in my life weren't experiencing and would never have to. Modern sexism is so ingrained that unless your on the receiving end of it, you don't really notice it, and I guess that's kind of the idea. If everyone noticed it, less people would accept it and then I guess, down with the patriarchy....haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any objective examples that aren't down to the fact that women are different from men, and so should be treated differently in certain situations?
Original post by Nickbonista
Any objective examples that aren't down to the fact that women are different from men, and so should be treated differently in certain situations?

I just want to point out that the main belief, or the "core" of feminism is equality. Granted, there are extreme views, but that's similar to every movement and belief. The civil rights movement not only had Martin Luther King Jr, but also had parties such as the BPP, a very hostile movement. It does not take away from the message. Feminism and civil rights aren't needed to the extent they were in the 1900s but are still necessary. There is an argument, "Lewis's law", that the questioning of feminism and the sexist comments on the internet themselves justify a need for feminism.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Lewis_(journalist)
The problems today are more embedded in society, and therefore harder to spot. Some people won't notice discrimination until it affects them personally or someone they know. Not acknowledging that there is a problem is part of the problem.
Original post by SandmanMMA
Perfect analogy

w0w how dare he compare women to t-shirts. reported
Original post by bottled
w0w how dare he compare women to t-shirts. reported

No I compared womens actions to actions of men. You're pretty stupid if you think I compared women themselves to t-shirts -_- Don't put words I never said in my mouth.
Original post by SandmanMMA
No I compared womens actions to actions of men. You're pretty stupid if you think I compared women themselves to t-shirts -_- Don't put words I never said in my mouth.

excuse me you're oppressing me and my right to insert words into people's mouths.
reported. enjoy ban :smile:. i'm also blogging this on tumblr too
Original post by bottled
excuse me you're oppressing me and my right to insert words into people's mouths.
reported. enjoy ban :smile:. i'm also blogging this on tumblr too

I honestly can't stop laughing
Original post by Mia1001
I just want to point out that the main belief, or the "core" of feminism is equality. Granted, there are extreme views, but that's similar to every movement and belief. The civil rights movement not only had Martin Luther King Jr, but also had parties such as the BPP, a very hostile movement. It does not take away from the message. Feminism and civil rights aren't needed to the extent they were in the 1900s but are still necessary. There is an argument, "Lewis's law", that the questioning of feminism and the sexist comments on the internet themselves justify a need for feminism.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Lewis_(journalist)
The problems today are more embedded in society, and therefore harder to spot. Some people won't notice discrimination until it affects them personally or someone they know. Not acknowledging that there is a problem is part of the problem.

So questioning an assertion that can't be objectively proved is confirming the assertion? Makes perfect sense to me.
Original post by Nickbonista
So questioning an assertion that can't be objectively proved is confirming the assertion? Makes perfect sense to me.

I never said there are no examples. Other people have already stated many examples, and I found it unecessary to repeat them. If you wish to find examples, read some of the other comments or simply research yourself.
thread is so funny

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending