The Student Room Group

isnt feminism pointless now women are basicaly equal?

Scroll to see replies

we will continue to need feminism as long as there are still men out there who think women are a piece of meat.
/ thread
Reply 41
Original post by Violet97
a) where is your evidence for this?
b) if there was no threat then women wouldn't be worried
c) violence against women most certainly is a case for feminism
d) do you seriously think women want to be objectified through the media, look at the way female celebrities are constantly criticised for their appearance. Here is an example, a single women has an affair with a married man and the women will get all the hate directed at her. Or how come a man who sleeps with a lot women is seen as a "legend" whereas a women who sleeps with a lot of men is branded a "slut"

a) At my college, the dance, art, music and so on areas are dominated by women. In the science areas it's rather equal but those girls will bring it down.
b) there's threats against everyone, everywhere
c) violence against men is okay though right? Feminists are only concerned about women?
d) similarly, if a man cheats, the girl and her friends can attack him and they're celebrated. If a woman cheats and he attacks her, it's wrong. I'm not saying it's right but look at the difference
Original post by AbigailLeigh
Saw a comment somewhere about how a women shouldn't be surprised if she's assaulted if she goes out and gets hanmered. This is one if the reasons why feminism is still needed in today's society, why should a woman believe it acceptable to be assaulted just because she's drunk, I'm sure hat wasn't her intentions at the time and to anyway imply that it's fair/she deserves it is just ridiculous.

The problem with feminism today is that it has become distorted from the core of feminism, which is gender equality and unfortunately there are a select few who are making men look like the 'bad guy' which isn't productive as it then assumes that women are the better gender, creating a spiral of inequality. Legally, gender equality is there but within our culture we still have a long way to go.

I think the person meant like someone get's into an inebriated state. They had sex or whatever, they weren't against it. But then when they wake up sober or whatever they claim rape because they were drunk. The person should be prepared for what ever actions they do in a drunk state.
I'm not saying like raping drunks or whatever, but if someone is drunk and they don't say no to sexual advances while in that state is it really the fault of the guy for the woman being so hammered towards saying yes? I'm pretty sure guys only slept with women they wouldn't normally have because they were drunk. Yet they don't claim it is sexual assault do they?
Original post by solarplexus
At the end of the day George, or shall I feminize your name to 'Georgia', we carry you're child. You need us otherwise you will not be alive.

i didn't realise we were in a playground.
Original post by Jubz1
a) At my college, the dance, art, music and so on areas are dominated by women. In the science areas it's rather equal but those girls will bring it down.
b) there's threats against everyone, everywhere
c) violence against men is okay though right? Feminists are only concerned about women?
d) similarly, if a man cheats, the girl and her friends can attack him and they're celebrated. If a woman cheats and he attacks her, it's wrong. I'm not saying it's right but look at the difference

I don't think any feminists would ever say violence against men is ok. All violence is wrong.
I'm just going to be blunt; most of the people who think like those you described aren't very bright and should just be ignored. Bitching about them won't make them stop.
This is a tricky one.
Just because I want women and men to have equal rights doesn't mean they have. Sometimes we do have equal rights- in the workplace, especially in the last 20 years or so, things such as wages and reporting inappropriate behaviour has improved drastically!
HOWEVER- if we all had equal rights, men who have been sexually abused wouldn't be ridiculed for their ordeal (believe it or not, it has and does happen on a scarily regular basis).
It means that I or anyone else can be who they like without worrying. I don't see equality there at the moment- if I wear a short skirt, I'm a slut. If a transsexual MtoF wants to wear a dress but still has masculine characteristics, she is then catcalled, mocked and degraded in the street. And this article here- http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/study-reveals-female-rape-victims-enjoyed-the-experience/- is disguising.
There are people calling themselves feminists with no idea what it means- my ''feminist'' friend, for example, says that male rape is a myth and that MtoF are not ''real'' women. No. Just... no.
Feminism is being accepting of everyone- because how can you expect the same courtesy back if you're prejudiced in the first place?
It doesn't mean that men are weaker or stupider than women- it's that men (with a penis or not) and women (whether they have a vagina or not) are on an equal par.
Original post by Cyphrex
I think the person meant like someone get's into an inebriated state. They had sex or whatever, they weren't against it. But then when they wake up sober or whatever they claim rape because they were drunk. The person should be prepared for what ever actions they do in a drunk state.
I'm not saying like raping drunks or whatever, but if someone is drunk and they don't say no to sexual advances while in that state is it really the fault of the guy for the woman being so hammered towards saying yes? I'm pretty sure guys only slept with women they wouldn't normally have because they were drunk. Yet they don't claim it is sexual assault do they?

I feel like this is a situation where everything can become a bit blurry. The problem is not saying no, does not mean the answer is yes especially if the woman is drunk and cannot make a proper decision for herself. I understand this can be confusing for the guy (especially if he is also drunk aswell) but the comment I saw specifically mentioned assault and how women shouldn't be surprised if they are assaulted if they are hammered which is a view that is just completely wrong, drunk/sober nobody should ever be assaulted (man or woman)
Reply 48
Any kind of 'feminism' that puts men down as rapists or whatever kind of crap, isnt feminism. Its blame sexism.

Feminism isnt just about serving womens rights - a lot of men can benefit from it too, as it is about making things equal.

You cannot say women are equal to men in our society based on opinions. Women are still payed less than men, and are promoted less too. There are still many positions, especially relgious ones, that women arent allowed to have. Things arent so equal for men either - for example domestic abuse can be taken less seriously if a woman hits man than vice versa, and women tend to get first custody of children unless shes a druggie or something.

As I said, any kind of feminism that portrays men unfairly is just as bad as something portraying women badly. Justice benefits everyone :smile:
Original post by AmyL7
Any kind of 'feminism' that puts men down as rapists or whatever kind of crap, isnt feminism. Its blame sexism.

Feminism isnt just about serving womens rights - a lot of men can benefit from it too, as it is about making things equal.

You cannot say women are equal to men in our society based on opinions. Women are still payed less than men, and are promoted less too. There are still many positions, especially relgious ones, that women arent allowed to have. Things arent so equal for men either - for example domestic abuse can be taken less seriously if a woman hits man than vice versa, and women tend to get first custody of children unless shes a druggie or something.

As I said, any kind of feminism that portrays men unfairly is just as bad as something portraying women badly. Justice benefits everyone :smile:

Finally an actual proper feminist view! So many women who claim to be feminists but I don't think they are actually educated on it properly and just go on a 'I hate men' mission which totally undermines the feminist goal of gender EQUALITY ! 😊
Original post by KatieLL98
I do agree that the stereotyping of men has gone too far. I use tumblr a lot, and people on there seem to think it's okay to make fun of men, call them disgusting, pigs, rapists etc when most of the guys on there are actually decent people. Also I do agree with you that women shouldn't think it's okay to get completely hammered and be surprised if they do happen to get assaulted. They should use their common sense, just like men should. Getting completely, passed out drunk is never really a good idea no matter what your gender is. However, I don't think that feminism is pointless. There's still such a thing as the wage gap, and we've got to remember that the UK isn't the only country in the world. Just because women and men are more or less completely equal here, doesn't mean that they are in other places. In Saudi Arabia, women aren't even allowed to drive. And the feminist movements in the UK inspire oppressed women in other countries to fight for their own rights.

So technically what you're saying is women going out and playing victim when they already have equal rights in a certain country inspire other women, who don't have rights, to do the same to the extent where there is no equality and a woman can kill a man and walk away like its nothing. I don't know if you saw but 18 assualt charges and she's free to run about because she's female.... http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/16/victim-who-nearly-lost-eye-in-vicious-glass-attack-claims-attacker-spared-jail-because-shes-a-woman-4834964/ . You say there is a gender gap in wages in the UK, please refer me to some useful information on this. And don't go on the whole CEO stuff, the people at the top don't care (And nor does any normal person as these CEO's are practically soulless), lets just look at average wages. Also why is divorce law so biased towards women and men end up in the **** for it? Please explain how thats equality. Feminism was good, except the suffragettes were racists. Do your own research on the subject. The only movement who have to quote the dictionary definition to prove their point when people can redefine things for themselves. Brilliant.
Lol there is truth in this e.g-there are no male plus size models and its always about saving the women and children.. but thats cos guys just in general don't care about these petty issues anymore we've moved on i guess.first world femi Masculinism would never come close to creating the crazy types of feminists. Most people have it wrong anyway feminists that pick on individual cases in the west and use it as a reason to ressurect feminism are wrong,racism has "ended" but of course there are always the individual cases just with feminists the worlds not perfect its not like we need to see another MLK is it? feminists instead should be going on about much bigger issues in the east where it's actually needed for example FGM Honor killings etc.
Guys also need to stop trying to level themselves with these lobbying feminists in the developed countries it just leads to whining and going in circles with nothing major being solved anymore it's not like youll see masses of guys on social media be so proud when male plus size models are popularised. ...Bit of a tangent i suppose

EDIT:same post as another tread might be some irrelevant or stupid stuff
Why we still need feminism:
Because to men, a key is a device to open something. For women, it’s a weapon we hold between our fingers when we’re walking alone at night.
Because the biggest insult for a guy is to be called a “pussy,” a “little bitch” or a “girl.” From here on out, being called a “pussy” is an effing badge of honor.
Because last month, my politics professor asked the class if women should have equal representation in the Supreme Court, and only three out of 42 people raised their hands.
Because rape jokes are still a thing.
Because despite being equally broke college kids, guys are still expected to pay for dates, drinks and flowers.
Because as a legit student group, Campus Fellowship does not allow women to lead anything involving men. Look, I know Eve was dumb about the whole apple and snake thing, but I think we can agree having a vagina does not directly impact your ability to lead a
college organization.
Because it’s assumed that if you are nice to a girl, she owes you sex therefore, if she turns you down, she’s a bitch who’s put you in the “friend zone.” Sorry, bro, women are not machines you put kindness coins into until sex falls out.
Because only 29 percent of American women identify as feminist, and in the words of author Caitlin Moran, “What part of ‘liberation for women’ is not for you? Is it freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man you marry? The campaign for equal pay? Did all that good **** get on your nerves? Or were you just drunk at the time
of the survey?”
Because when people hear the term feminist, they honestly think of women burning bras. Dude, have you ever bought a bra? No one would burn them because they’re freaking
expensive.
Because Rush Limbaugh.
Because we now have a record number of women in the Senate which is a measly 20 out of 100. Congrats, USA, we’ve gone up to 78th place for women’s political representation, still below China, Rwanda and Iraq. Because on average, the tenured male professors at Drake make more than the tenured female professors.
Because more people on campus complain about chalked statistics regarding sexual assault than complain about the existence of sexual assault. Priorities? Have them.
Because 138 House Republicans voted against the Violence Against Women Act. All 138 felt it shouldn’t provide support for Native women, LGBT people or immigrant women. I’m kind of confused by this, because I thought LGBT people and women of color were also human beings.
Weird, right?
Because a girl was roofied last semester at a local campus bar, and I heard someone say they think she should have been more careful. Being drugged is her fault, not the fault of the person who put drugs in her drink?
Because Chris Brown beat Rihanna so badly she was hospitalized, yet he still has fans and bestselling songs and a tattoo of an abused woman on his neck.
Because out of 7 billion people on the planet, more than 1 billion women will be raped or beaten in their lifetimes. Women and girls have their clitorises cut out, acid thrown on them and broken bottles shoved up them as an act of war. Every second of every day. Every corner of the Earth.
Because Men aren't allowed to show emotion because that is 'weak' and they are a 'pussy'
Because the other day, another friend of mine told me she was raped, and I can no longer count on both my hands the number of friends who have told me they’ve been sexually assaulted. Words can’t express how scared I am that I’m getting used to this.
Because Men have to act a certain way and be 'manly'
Because a brief survey of reality will tell you that we do not live in a world that values all people equally and that sucks in real, very scary ways. Because you know we live in a sexist world when an awesome thing with the name “feminism” has a weird connotation. Because if I have kids someday, I want my son to be able to have emotions and play dress up, and I want my daughter to climb trees and care more about what’s in her head than what’s on it. Because I don’t want her to carry keys between her fingers at night to protect herself.
Because in India gang rapes are happening EVERYDAY to girls as young as 14. The police do nothing.
Because arrange marriages are still happening,girls as young as 10 being forced into abusive marriages and forced to bear children when they them self are children.
Because Malala was shot in the head for wanting an education. Thousands of girls can't get an education STILL because they are a girl.
Because around the world, girls STILL can't vote
Because in countries girls can't speak against their husbands.
Because being feminist no matter what gender you are is viewed as 'bad' 'too radical' and 'unessary' even though horrible stereotypes and gender roles are still put against is all.

Feminism is not about Women being better than Men, it's about women being equal to men.

Posted from TSR Mobile
your statement only applies to white people in the west tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwogDPh-Sow

Debunking the imaginary wage gap one person at a time.
Original post by CactiQueen

Feminism is not about Women being better than Men, it's about women being equal to men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Equal to men you say?
So by that logic you'd want women to not "be allowed to show emotion because that is 'weak' and they are a 'pussy'?

...your words(but i suspect you copied them) not mine:biggrin:

Shouldn't you be aiming to bring both genders to a goal in terms of equality rather than just try and level the playing field and act like the men have it absolutely perfect
(edited 9 years ago)
Seeing those comments I just want to say:

1) In regards to the 'Wage Gap' and lack of female CEOs. Are people so blind to see that girls pretty much dominate Arts subjects such as Art, Music, Dance, English etc. It's not like they aren't given an option of what to choose as a subject at college... :/ Don't do those 4 A-Levels and expect to get an offer for a STEM degree at a top University. Also, you'll see that most men seek positions with higher earning potential and power such as Politics, Finance, Computing whilst these aren't as popular destinations for girls.

2) In regards to girls not needing to feel at fault if they are assaulted if they get drunk on a night out. This is the single most stupidest thing I have ever heard. It's like me walking into a lion den full of starving animals and feeling 'surprised' if I get attacked.

Are people so stupid to think that criminals don't realise their actions are wrong?

To conclude - if women want to get into more positions of power then this stupid belief that subjects like Maths and Physics or careers in Computing of Finance are for nerds that lack a social life etc. has to go. Go to any average Sixth Form, you'll find most of the supposed 'Cool' students do Arts subjects or BTECs. There is a negative perception of those wanting to study and that is bad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KatieLL98
There's still such a thing as the wage gap

Oh and all of that is down to sexism is it? Nothing to do with men taking certain jobs - for example, loads of women put off STEM subjects at university like computing. Software engineers etc get paid on average a lot more.

Just because women and men are more or less completely equal here, doesn't mean that they are in other places. In Saudi Arabia, women aren't even allowed to drive.

If you feel that way then move there and practice what you preach on the streets of Saudi Arabia.

And the feminist movements in the UK inspire oppressed women in other countries to fight for their own rights.

Please do not pretend as if you're some holy beacon of gender focused freedom for women around the world. Anyone can talk the talk but its a difference walking the walk. If you feel that way then go and help them.

Original post by paradoxicalme

Yes, gender equality is much better than it used to be. We can vote now and everything. :tongue:

You were given the vote almost 100 years ago. Good grief, it didn't even affect the two generations before you so please do not use this as any sort of evidence for modern world oppression. You are not owed anything because of that and I will not accept being condemned by feminists for the actions of our ancestors.

And that is mostly down to feminism. Feminism is literally the pursuit of gender equality.

Maybe, but it does it through the means of oppressing and belittling of men. The Black Panther movement was the pursuit of racial equality but did it through the means of violence. The end goal doesn't necessarily always justify the journey and actions taken to get there.

For instance, the whole stereotype that 'man = strong, woman = precious fragile flower' means that men suffering from domestic abuse are scared to speak out.

This will always be the case in the majority because its human nature and influenced by genetics. What you're wishing for is a utopian civilisation that goes completely against the natural laws of which humans are defined.

Sexual assault, domestic abuse and sexual harassment are still big problems that primarily, though not exclusively, affect women.

More than 40% of domestic violence victims are males. The statistics aren't that far off from being equal in all fairness and they're just the reported cases.

There is still a wage gap.

Point addressed above.

There is still a lot of sexist ideals held by the media and by society that primarily, though not exclusively, affect women.

And women themselves play up to these ideals and always will: models, pornography actresses, etc. and whilst people are getting paid and given a living this will again not change. This is again another ideal you are hoping for.

We still need feminism. We just don't need it as much as we did in the 1880s.

No we really don't. Third world countries may but we don't here.

And in certain third world countries, people need feminism just as much as we needed it in the 1880s.

Third world countries where real oppression of women takes place

We're not after special treatment, we're not after playing the victim. We just don't want to BE victims of the small minority of men that think we are inferior to them, or they have a right to have sex with us, and who are giving the majority a bad name.

We do NOT want to be the victims of a small minority of women who think we are inferior to them. It works both ways. You are most indefinitely playing the victim. Also, due to human nature, as explained earlier, these men will always exist and your notion that 'a small minority give the rest a bad name' is as illogical and is not a legitimate excuse to label all men.

As for the girl getting hammered, I agree that women should use their common sense and it's just generally not a good idea to get into that vulnerable a state. However, I refuse to believe that if she gets assaulted it is her fault. It is completely the fault of the person (it could be a woman but it's more likely to be a man) who sees her and thinks 'this person is unconscious. I am now going to penetrate her without her consent.' That is entirely their decision.

It is always the fault of the person carrying out the attack although someone putting themselves in such a vulnerable state, regardless of gender, is a moron. I've seen men lying on kerbs on nights out and they could easily be mugged or beat up on the way home. This is down to individual idiocy rather than a gender focused problem. However, the blame still lies with the person carrying out the crime against them.

There are ample reasons for why this is the case plus the notion that a wage gap will never exist is nothing more than another utopian ideal because inevitably businesses are run by people, people employ people and direct and indirect discrimination take place and both genders do it. The world is full of ********s with their own warped opinions - you are not going to change that im afraid to break it to you - get real.

Original post by solarplexus
That's why men are the lower race

This statement is actually evidence to suggest otherwise.

Original post by sherlockfan
we will continue to need feminism as long as there are still men out there who think women are a piece of meat.
/ thread

Women objectify men too all the time. /non argument.
Reply 58
Original post by student613
I don't think any feminists would ever say violence against men is ok. All violence is wrong.

I know, most of my points are without evidence and are given in response to the same manner as the responder
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sanctimonious
Oh and all of that is down to sexism is it? Nothing to do with men taking certain jobs - for example, loads of women put off STEM subjects at university like computing. Software engineers etc get paid on average a lot more.

If you feel that way then move there and practice what you preach on the streets of Saudi Arabia.

Please do not pretend as if you're some holy beacon of gender focused freedom for women around the world. Anyone can talk the talk but its a difference walking the walk. If you feel that way then go and help them.

You were given the vote almost 100 years ago. Good grief, it didn't even affect the two generations before you so please do not use this as any sort of evidence for modern world oppression. You are not owed anything because of that and I will not accept being condemned by feminists for the actions of our ancestors.

Maybe, but it does it through the means of oppressing and belittling of men. The Black Panther movement was the pursuit of racial equality but did it through the means of violence. The end goal doesn't necessarily always justify the journey and actions taken to get there.

This will always be the case in the majority because its human nature and influenced by genetics. What you're wishing for is a utopian civilisation that goes completely against the natural laws of which humans are defined.

More than 40% of domestic violence victims are males. The statistics aren't that far off from being equal in all fairness and they're just the reported cases.

Point addressed above.

And women themselves play up to these ideals and always will: models, pornography actresses, etc. and whilst people are getting paid and given a living this will again not change. This is again another ideal you are hoping for.

No we really don't. Third world countries may but we don't here.

Third world countries where real oppression of women takes place

We do NOT want to be the victims of a small minority of women who think we are inferior to them. It works both ways. You are most indefinitely playing the victim. Also, due to human nature, as explained earlier, these men will always exist and your notion that 'a small minority give the rest a bad name' is as illogical and is not a legitimate excuse to label all men.

It is always the fault of the person carrying out the attack although someone putting themselves in such a vulnerable state, regardless of gender, is a moron. I've seen men lying on kerbs on nights out and they could easily be mugged or beat up on the way home. This is down to individual idiocy rather than a gender focused problem. However, the blame still lies with the person carrying out the crime against them.

There are ample reasons for why this is the case plus the notion that a wage gap will never exist is nothing more than another utopian ideal because inevitably businesses are run by people, people employ people and direct and indirect discrimination take place and both genders do it. The world is full of ********s with their own warped opinions - you are not going to change that im afraid to break it to you - get real.

This statement is actually evidence to suggest otherwise.

Women objectify men too all the time. /non argument.

rekt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending