The Student Room Group

Quick question about GCSEs & Oxbridge

So GCSEs can be a big factor and Oxbridge will want to see lots, if not all, A*'s & A's but what if your school doesn't do much GCSEs.

So say my school does 9 options, how many would need to be at A/A*'s for it to be worth applying?

Thank you.
8 or 9, i'd say. my school only does 10 and i'm aiming for 8-10 A*s with any luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Invest
So GCSEs can be a big factor and Oxbridge will want to see lots, if not all, A*'s & A's but what if your school doesn't do much GCSEs.

So say my school does 9 options, how many would need to be at A/A*'s for it to be worth applying?

Thank you.

Unless for Law or Medicine it's not critical at Cambridge because they place most emphasis on your UMS at A level. The typical entrant from a good school has almost all A/A* with 7A*+. Lower GCSEs from weaker schools are less of a disadvantage than from selective or independent schools.
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/presentations/2013/Good_Practice_in_Supporting_Applicants.pdf

By the time you get to AS they may have disappeared as a stage for full A-levels & so its likely that good GCSEs will become more important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending