The Student Room Group

What do I do?!

Okay, so right now I'm on a gap year after just getting A*AA for my A2s (German, Economics and History respectively). I got AAAB (B in politics) at AS. My firm is deferred entry at KCL for German sole for AAB.

When I applied, I also applied for Oxford but after submitten written work and MLAT test successes and four (poor) interviews, I was rejected.

So, the question is: do I reapply to Oxbridge again? Do Oxbridge look down on people they've already rejected? Is it possible, that with my grades I could get an unconditional from Oxford this time round if I perform better in the interviews? I was looking at reapplying for German with Arabic (after just having been to the middle east for 3 weeks)- is it impossible for me to get on this course?

I'm on a gap year anyway so its not like I'd be missing too much but it'd mean going through the whole stress of the application process again with no guarantees of getting in anyway.

What do you guys think? What would you do?
I'd go for it. Do you have anything to lose?
Thanks for replying! Well in about a week I'm going to Austria, which could have been for months so this trip would have to be cut short, but apart from that, it's not like I have a job or anything, it's more so is it worth even trying if my odds aren't even that good. Do you think they look down on people who they've rejected before?
Original post by JNDSAN
Thanks for replying! Well in about a week I'm going to Austria, which could have been for months so this trip would have to be cut short, but apart from that, it's not like I have a job or anything, it's more so is it worth even trying if my odds aren't even that good. Do you think they look down on people who they've rejected before?

Probably not. They take many who reapply. It's worth a shot but what about KCL?
I now have two concerns about KCL, one being whether London is too big for me and the other, and I know they don't mean much, but the rankings. It just keeps going down and is now at 30 in some tables! I'm not too worried about being released by them because even if I don't make Oxford again, I feel I would get into King's again because the courses I'm looking at require AAB usually, so with A*AA I must be able to get reaccepted?!
Original post by JNDSAN
I now have two concerns about KCL, one being whether London is too big for me and the other, and I know they don't mean much, but the rankings. It just keeps going down and is now at 30 in some tables! I'm not too worried about being released by them because even if I don't make Oxford again, I feel I would get into King's again because the courses I'm looking at require AAB usually, so with A*AA I must be able to get reaccepted?!

Fair enough x
Reply 6
Original post by JNDSAN

Firstly, if I were you, I would not be concerned with London being too big. Yes, it is very big, and at times may be overwhelming, but most students coming from outside London quickly and easily assimilate to life in the city.

With regards to KCL, don't place too much weight on falling league rankings. Unless it drops dramatically, people(employers) pay attention to the name of the institution, not last years rank. KCL has built a reputation over a century as an excellent University, and at the end of the day it will be your University marks that have determine what employers think of you, not KCL's league ranking.

Quick Reply