Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
ok so think im gonna apply!!!! altho my stats are fairly weak

gcse: 2 A*s, 8 As
as: ABBC
predictions: A*AA
ukcat: 700 band 1
Does anyone know if exeter favour reapplicants? Just because I was on the phone to admissions earlier about whether I would be at a disadvantage to people with predicted grades of A*AA when I achieved AAA and the lady made a vague comment like 'oh no you'd probably be in a better position with grades in hand' but I'm not sure if that's just her theorising... :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
Can anyone tell me how Exeter use the PS, I'm trying to call them but its just ringing out. I know on the wiki page for applying using your strengths it says it is scored lightly but does anyone know if this is still correct and if it is to what extent this is used.

I spoke to one of the admissions people and they said that they don't use personal statements for our interview. Basically they score you during your interview, after that they score your personal statements and rank these to then choose the top X people and give them offers..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
does anyone know the selection process?
Original post by alexSH
does anyone know the selection process?

Apparently selection for interview is all on predictions/UKCAT score.

Last year the ukcat cut off was 697.5, this year I imagine it'll be in the 680s or so.
They then invite like 500 people to interview, and they said at the open day it was roughly 50-50 then whether you'll get in
Reply 65
Do you think I will get an interview at Exeter with 697.5 UKCAT and 4A* predictions?? I'm worried about the UKCAT.

Thanks
Reply 66
Original post by Dr. Django

Last year the ukcat cut off was 697.5, this year I imagine it'll be in the 680s or so.
They then invite like 500 people to interview, and they said at the open day it was roughly 50-50 then whether you'll get in

Cheers mate!
Can anyone clarify if predicted grades of A*AA would be favoured over achieved grades of AAA in exeter's eyes? Their email was useless - didn't answer my question whatsoever 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone,

Just updated the OP with the medicine connect/stalking Page, and the Exeter University page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying.
Does anyone know what Exeters english language grade requirement is? It says GCSE A for international students but a C for english students?
Reply 70
Original post by Mehhhh
To anybody who has been to the open day, can you please describe how the med school is like? Is it far from the campus? How much of the course is PBL/lectures?

What was your impression of the med school before and after the open day?

You can look it up online, its called St Lukes Campus but its basically a lawn/courtyard called the quad surrounded by lecture halls and teaching rooms. Clinical skills are taught across the road at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.

There are two main campuses in Exeter - St Lukes and Streatham. Medicine, sports science and medical sciences are taught at St Lukes and everything else is taught over at Streatham. The vast majority of medics live at Rowancroft which is a 5-10 minute walk down the road from St Lukes which is very handy if you get up late!

The course has a fairly even mixture of PBL and lectures which are usually interlinked. We also start clinical community placements within the first proper week of classes so we have immediate clinical contact.

The med school is honestly brilliant, I would definitely recommend applying!
Reply 71
Original post by *mimi*
Does anyone know how much time is spent on work placement in each of the years at Exeter?

From Unistats data it seems the time on work placement is only 2% in year 1, 6% in year 2, 27% in years 3 and 4 and 17% in year 5. Other unis I've looked at have much higher values throughout and up to 75% in some years.

Can any current students expand on this with any explanations?

Thanks

I'm not sure about percentages or statistics but I'm currently in my first year at UEMS and they're throwing us in at the deep end. Our first clinical placement is next week and we have them every other week.
Reply 72
Original post by alexSH
Cheers mate!

Exeter website states that 2500 is UKCAT threshold for interviews for 2015 entry

http://medicine.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/medicalschool/documents/Bachelor_of_Medicine_Bachelor_of_Surgery-FAQ_v4.docx
Reply 73
If you meet the requirement do you actually get an interview? I know they look at your A2 prediction and the UKCAT... Is that right?

I think I will apply there and I have 697.5 and 4A* predictions.
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
Can anyone clarify if predicted grades of A*AA would be favoured over achieved grades of AAA in exeter's eyes? Their email was useless - didn't answer my question whatsoever

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it should have any impact based on what i know. However the medical school staff have mentioned that applications are getting more competitive, so in "future years" A*AA requirements could be more standard. Try ringing them instead, from past experience admisions departments are more open when you can have a conversation, particularly at open days.

Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by alexSH
Do you think I will get an interview at Exeter with 697.5 UKCAT and 4A* predictions?? I'm worried about the UKCAT.

Thanks

The medical school moves the threshold based on the scores of those that apply so that 500 people gain an interview. If only people with the highest ukcat scores applied, then the cutoff would be much higher.

last year the cutoff was 697.5 (2790) which corresponded to the top 25% of those who took the ukcat test. The figure sted by the medical school would be an estimated absolute minimum if lower ukcat scoring candidates applied.

"Applicants achieving less than 2500 overall are unlikely to be invited to attend an interview"

Hope this helps to clarify the way the admissions operates :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by Dr. Django

Will it be too risky to apply with a ukcat score of 665?
thanks
Original post by abu125
Will it be too risky to apply with a ukcat score of 665?
thanks

I'm not sure either way tbh, that will be cutting it close for sure. My advice: if you love Exeter and have other 'safe' options go for it. If not, then for sure apply elsewhere as there's a decent chance you won't meet the cutoff

check out this to help you decide. http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20150914.pdf

Last year needed 2790 overall, which is just over halfway between the 6th and 7th deciles. If the cutoff follows the same pattern this time round then it will be something like 2650 which is 662.5. But this is all guesstimation!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 78
Guys, I really don't know which universities to choose from UEA, Keele, Sheffield, Exeter and Hull York.
Which universities do I have the most chance of getting an interview?

GCSEs:9A* 1A 1B
AS:5As and A* in EPQ
A2 predictions: 4A*
UKCAT: 697.5
Lots of work experience
Original post by alexSH
Guys, I really don't know which universities to choose from UEA, Keele, Sheffield, Exeter and Hull York.
Which universities do I have the most chance of getting an interview?

GCSEs:9A* 1A 1B
AS:5As and A* in EPQ
A2 predictions: 4A*
UKCAT: 697.5
Lots of work experience

I can't speak for the other universities, but you definitely have a good shot at getting into exeter with those stats. you're application won't be affected by your personal statement as Exeter don't read them (odd i know, but they've had plagiarism issues in the past).

Your work experience is also good for the Exeter interview, as it was very ethics based and they like it when you draw from your own observations and experiences.

Plus Exeter is brilliant, can't recommend it enough as i'm really enjoying it so far (social and academic)

let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending