The Student Room Group

Application Help

Hello.
I am an international student and I want to apply to Oxford. I have a few questions. Thanks for your help.

1. Recently I received my AS results. AAAA in mathematics, further mathematics, chemistry and economics. But I don't think my core maths are good enough, compared with the further maths. What are my chances? Do I need to take Additional Further Maths?

2. I want to take a master degree in mathematical finance and work as a quant in the future. So which course suits me? I just cannot decide among the options: Mathematics, Mathematics and Statistics, Mathematics and Computer Science. :frown: Could you offer me some suggestions?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Jiayun Tong
Hello.
I am an international student and I want to apply to Oxford. I have a few questions. Thanks for your help.

1. Recently I received my AS results. AAAA in mathematics, further mathematics, chemistry and economics. But I don't think my core maths are good enough, compared with the further maths. What are my chances? Do I need to take Additional Further Maths?

2. I want to take a master degree in mathematical finance and work as a quant in the future. So which course suits me? I just cannot decide among the options: Mathematics, Mathematics and Statistics, Mathematics and Computer Science. :frown: Could you offer me some suggestions?

Thanks.

1. The grades and subjects are fine - they key is to have done well enough to be predicted (and get) A*A*A and do well on the MAT and interview.
2. Choose whichever course interests you most - you'll stand the best chance of the career you want (who knows what that will be in a few years' time when you come to apply for jobs?) if your marks are good and that depends to a significant extent on you maintaining motivation because you're studying something you enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending