The Student Room Group

General Discussion Further Pure 1 - 4 Maths 2015 [All Exam Boards]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Navo D.
I really hope you aren't joking :tongue:

At least I've finished 1-4 now (bar the complex loci & transformation, get to that later :colondollar:). Thinking of whether to do second order next, or take a shot at taylor and maclaurin series

I'd get started on those transformations, if I were you.

I spent all year practising and I still struggled with last year's question.
Reply 61
Original post by alexmufc1995
I'd get started on those transformations, if I were you.

I spent all year practising and I still struggled with last year's question.

Oh god :frown: Are you referring to the 2014 q or the 2013 q? Regardless, you're right I should probably finish that ASAP. Are the transformation questions always very tricky?
Original post by Navo D.
Oh god :frown: Are you referring to the 2014 q or the 2013 q? Regardless, you're right I should probably finish that ASAP. Are the transformation questions always very tricky?

Usually they're do-able, but the 2014 q was an absolute horror.

I reckon it's the section that most people find toughest, me included.
Reply 63
In aqa maths you have to average 90 ums across c3 and c4 to get an a* in maths, but what is the threshold for further maths?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
In aqa maths you have to average 90 ums across c3 and c4 to get an a* in maths, but what is the threshold for further maths?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to score at least 270/300 UMS in your top three A2 units, while also having at least 480/600 UMS over the six units.

See here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-6360-6370-W-TRB-ASTAR.PDF
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Coombsy
You need to score at least 270/300 UMS in your top three A2 units, while also having at least 480/600 UMS over the six units.

See here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-6360-6370-W-TRB-ASTAR.PDF

Thank you:biggrin: Could have easily looked this up I guess, sorry for the hassle!:tongue:
Reply 66
Hello, how is everyone doing? Pretty quiet here :eek:

Finished 2nd order DEs and Maclaurin this week. The former was fun but the I find questions in the pearson book for Maclaurin series quite tough :s-smilie: Is this the normal standard for such questions or will the examination ones be easier? Hopefully it'll get easier with practice.

In other news FP1 is progressing very slow in school, we spent 2 weeks on coordinate systems which was just :boring: I really don't understand why it's only offered to FM students in their A2 year in my school. For that matter, Edexcel should have just integrated the topics in FP1 over C1/C2/C3...
Original post by Navo D.
Hello, how is everyone doing? Pretty quiet here :eek:

Finished 2nd order DEs and Maclaurin this week. The former was fun but the I find questions in the pearson book for Maclaurin series quite tough :s-smilie: Is this the normal standard for such questions or will the examination ones be easier? Hopefully it'll get easier with practice.

In other news FP1 is progressing very slow in school, we spent 2 weeks on coordinate systems which was just :boring: I really don't understand why it's only offered to FM students in their A2 year in my school. For that matter, Edexcel should have just integrated the topics in FP1 over C1/C2/C3...

The boards have an agreed specification for C1 - 4, imposed from above. FP1 is designed to be an AS module, so that it can be taught alongside C1 and C2 for those schools which cannot have a separate group for A level Maths and FM.

Without searching for the book, what was it that you found difficult about the Maclaurin series questions?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Navo D.

Hmmm. That's odd. We finished Fp1 in half a term. When are you meant to be on Fp2 and 3?
Reply 69
Original post by tiny hobbit
The boards have an agreed specification for C1 - 4, imposed from above. FP1 is designed to be an AS module, so that it can be taught alongside C1 and C2 for those schools which cannot have a separate group for A level Maths and FM.

Without searching for the book, what was it that you found difficult about the Maclaurin series questions?

Oh okay, I see. I initially found the manipulations of standard results quite tricky and confusing but after doing a couple more of them I'm able to recognise the patterns now so it's much better :tongue:

Original post by keromedic
Hmmm. That's odd. We finished Fp1 in half a term. When are you meant to be on Fp2 and 3?

Well technically so are we, our class finished C4 this term already, and has now split into those doing S1/S2 FP1/FP3 etc. What my school does is make the normal maths students do C1-3 in AS and C4 + applied in A2. The FM students do S1-2 and M1 at AS and whatever else they choose at A2. But for some reason they don't allow S1/M1 combinations, and quite a few people were forced to take FP1/FP3 as part of their normal maths A level.

Err, FP3 starts next year. My school doesn't offer FP2 so I'm self teaching that now.
Reply 70
Finished the content for FP2 today; it's such an interesting module!

Complex loci and transformations though... just what... :s-smilie:
Original post by Navo D.
Oh okay, I see. I initially found the manipulations of standard results quite tricky and confusing but after doing a couple more of them I'm able to recognise the patterns now so it's much better :tongue:

Well technically so are we, our class finished C4 this term already, and has now split into those doing S1/S2 FP1/FP3 etc. What my school does is make the normal maths students do C1-3 in AS and C4 + applied in A2. The FM students do S1-2 and M1 at AS and whatever else they choose at A2. But for some reason they don't allow S1/M1 combinations, and quite a few people were forced to take FP1/FP3 as part of their normal maths A level.

Err, FP3 starts next year. My school doesn't offer FP2 so I'm self teaching that now.

Lol thats some weird school timetabling.
My school lets us do whatever we want in further maths. well we have to do fp2 and thats pretty mch it. Normal maths do the normal c1-4 s1-2 or c1-4 m1-2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by physicsmaths
Lol thats some weird school timetabling.
My school lets us do whatever we want in further maths. well we have to do fp2 and thats pretty mch it. Normal maths do the normal c1-4 s1-2 or c1-4 m1-2
Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it :rolleyes:

Are you doing STEP this year?
Original post by Navo D.
Tell me about it :rolleyes:

Are you doing STEP this year?

Yh all three. Ive got 15 exams lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Yh all three. Ive got 15 exams lol ������
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I envy you STEP people so much, wish I was that good :tongue:

17 exams for me :colone: Regardless, we're both going to have a hard time come May/June.

How're you finding FP2? (Unless you've already finished it in which case any advice?)
Original post by Navo D.
Ah I envy you STEP people so much, wish I was that good :tongue:

17 exams for me :colone: Regardless, we're both going to have a hard time come May/June.

How're you finding FP2? (Unless you've already finished it in which case any advice?)

out of all the modules fp2 is probably the hardest tbh. Fp3 is easier although this years exam was horrible i heard. Ive got my exam timetables and ive got stuff like c3 abd m5 at the same time.
Steps easier the more you do it. But still fp2 isnt that hard once u get used to it. Lol im gna be in for a treat coming this juneImageUploadedByStudent Room1412583315.958309.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh im still doing fp2 fp3 shud be finished with all the cores s2 m3 fp2-3 by december

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
out of all the modules fp2 is probably the hardest tbh. Fp3 is easier although this years exam was horrible i heard. Ive got my exam timetables and ive got stuff like c3 abd m5 at the same time.
Steps easier the more you do it. But still fp2 isnt that hard once u get used to it. Lol im gna be in for a treat coming this juneImageUploadedByStudent Room1412583315.958309.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

God that timetable looks horrible :frown: M3 in May and STEP in between papers o my lord that's just-

Also good to know that I'm done with potentially the hardest maths module for this year! Thank god I'm not doing M4/5 :colondollar:
Original post by Navo D.
God that timetable looks horrible :frown: M3 in May and STEP in between papers o my lord that's just-

Also good to know that I'm done with potentially the hardest maths module for this year! Thank god I'm not doing M4/5 :colondollar:

m3 isnt hard though. and as all these papers are gna be prep for step haha. i shall be fine hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
m3 isnt hard though. and as all these papers are gna be prep for step haha. i shall be fine hopefully

Really?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending