The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by misssbs18
What I'm trying to say is Oxford and Cambridge are great uni in terms of academics but not in terms in money. An LSE econ grad earns more than a Oxford econ grad.

As I pointed out, that's a useless statistic. Significantly more LSE economics graduates will go into finance than Oxford economics graduates (and more Oxford econ. grads will go into further study on a stipend of ~£12,000 a year).

It's also an irrelevant statistic in the sense that if you have an Oxford econ. grad and an LSE econ. grad who both want to go into finance, one is not going to have a better chance over the other just from the standpoint of the degree. So, in reality, all you're really measuring when you say "An LSE econ grad earns more" is how many people went into employment as opposed to further study, and what proportion decided to go into career sectors that pay the most. What you'd really need to look at is how different the pay of LSE economics grads and Oxford economics grads who went into finance is - and of course you'd find nothing interesting.
LSE , UCL, Imperial too.
Reply 62
Original post by JoshL123
Out of interest what are the 6 universities you are referring to? Thats true, but I know two people (through mutual friends) that are off to work at Goldman Sachs through an investment banking scheme for graduates after coming out with a 1st at Birmingham University. They were both involved in financial forums etc and made the most of/ or at least too the initiative whilst at uni. Im just saying that it is certainly possible, unless, for example, you go to for example an ex-polytechnic and are thinking of achieving the same.

Yep, you are right, he came out with a 2:2. I am just trying to say that name doesn't matter. Most people think that going to Oxbridge regardless of what they get will sort them out which is far from the truth.

Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick (if I recall correctly). Of course there are people outside of these universities that work in the sector, it's just much harder for them to break in. Also, what positions did they go into?

Of course just going to Oxbridge doesn't mean your set for life, but that doesn't mean "name doesn't matter" - it's incredibly naive, and false, to believe that where you attend university doesn't have an influence on what you end up doing.
Some will say yes.

There are companies where the big boss, when going through application forms, can't be bothered to look through the whole thing and just select the ones from Oxbridge.

Some will say no.

Some of the less ignorant members of society will recognize that Durham is just as good a university as Oxbridge for English, Edinburgh for Medicine, Imperial for Engineering, etc etc.
For the most part (ignoring domestic rankings) other than Oxbridge the University of London holds some weight abroad. (LSE, SOAS, UCL, QMUL, KCL)
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
This is purely anecdotal. A first at Birmingham is excellent, and this has to be taken as an exception to the rule here.

Thats possibly true, but then again I don't know many people that do a maths degree, economics etc. I'm doing a degree in medicine so most of the people I know are medics :P. You might be right, but based on my work ethics you either put in 100% or you don't!
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
Given I've spent 6 months already with internships in westminster (before I even start my ****ing degree), I think I'll be alright.

So I was right
Original post by Jooooshy
What a load of tosh

Hell, I wouldn't hire an Oxbridge grad - load of arrogant entitled twazzocks.
Original post by Noble.
Tell that to the investment banks, where outside of six universities the chances of you getting employed in a FO position are slim.

Also, I take it this person ended up with a 3rd/2:2?

He said "The university you go to doesn't really matter (unless its decent). Its what you do there and how you make the most of the opportunities given to you.". And I'd say he's right.

I doubt the investment banks actually give a **** what university you have written next to your degree. The "top 6" are just universities the banks bother visiting and actively selling a career too. This, combined with the fact that candidates on average will be be extremely strong from these universities and more will be interested in the first place (especially from the LSE) results in more of them getting the job.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XMaramena

How many have you met? :tongue:
Original post by Noble.
Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick (if I recall correctly). Of course there are people outside of these universities that work in the sector, it's just much harder for them to break in. Also, what positions did they go into?

Of course just going to Oxbridge doesn't mean your set for life, but that doesn't mean "name doesn't matter" - it's incredibly naive, and false, to believe that where you attend university doesn't have an influence on what you end up doing.

Yeah I definitely agree with you on your first point. I just think its good to clear peoples perception that if you go to Oxbridge, you are guaranteed a job in a top company. Sorry, I'm not certain of the exact positions. Like i said to a poster above, my knowledge isn't that deep. I'm doing a degree in medicine. Maybe thats why I think it doesn't really matter which university you go to - after all, with a medical degree, it doesn't matter where you graduate from.
Reply 71
Original post by TheGuyReturns
He said "The university you go to doesn't really matter (unless its decent). Its what you do there and how you make the most of the opportunities given to you.". And I'd say he's right.

I doubt the investment banks actually give a **** what university you have written next to your degree. The "top 6" are just universities the banks bother visiting and actively selling a career too, this, combined with the fact that candidates on average will be be extremely strong from these universities and more will be interested in the first place (especially from the LSE) results in more of them getting the job.

When you consider how many applicants per place there are to summer internships and graduate schemes for FO positions in an investment bank, and how few of the successful applicants actually come from outside of the 'top 6' you'll probably find the success rates of universities inside the 'top 6' drastically different to those outside it. (But yes, you're right in that Oxbridge/LSE students are more inclined to apply in the first place).
Original post by nulli tertius
So I was right

No you weren't. You're confusing "entitlement" with the fact my job prospects are reasonable given what I've done and what I'm now doing.
Original post by XMaramena

Nice, but what you said is still rubbish :smile:
Original post by PythianLegume
Warwick student detected. :colone:

LOOOOOL starting first year at UCL this year actually :wink:
Original post by mrkl
LOL

Huh? On international league tables Manchester is one of the very top in the Uk. When I lived abroad many people had heard of it
Original post by Noble.
When you consider how many applicants per place there are to summer internships and graduate schemes for FO positions in an investment bank, and how few of the successful applicants actually come from outside of the 'top 6' you'll probably find the success rates of universities inside the 'top 6' drastically different to those outside it. (But yes, you're right in that Oxbridge/LSE students are more inclined to apply in the first place).

And I (implicitly) acknowledged and addressed why I think this is... you haven't actually countered anything I've said.
Original post by PythianLegume
How many have you met? :tongue:

Too many. Know lots of people who went to one of the two, and I lived in Oxford.
Original post by Hazard17
LOOOOOL starting first year at UCL this year actually :wink:

Hmm, I'm guessing you applied for Maths, Economics, or related fields? That's the only reason I could think for you placing Warwick alongside the other 5 in terms of international ranking.
Reply 79
Original post by TheGuyReturns
And I (implicitly) acknowledged and addressed why I think this is... you haven't actually countered anything I've said.

Sorry, yes I misread your response. It's entirely plausible that the weighting of the 'top 6' is entirely down to the strength of applicants from these universities.

Latest

Trending

Trending