The Student Room Group

Warwick GEP (A101) Applicants 2015

Hello everyone!

So the long awaited 2015 criteria is now up. Who else is considering Warwick A101 for 2015 entry? Personally, I am still to sit the UKCAT (can't wait :rolleyes:). I have a 2.1 in Psychology and six years NHS experience as a hospital porter.

Scroll to see replies

I'm also applying with Warwick as my first choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Cool! Have you taken the UKCAT yet?
Yes, I averaged 750 so just make their selection centre cut off I think. Have you? Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Do Warwick still have there points system like last year where they score your qualifications etc?
Reply 5
Original post by Callum3112
Yes, I averaged 750 so just make their selection centre cut off I think. Have you? Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done 750 is a great score. I haven't no, I have mine in just over two weeks time. Would be very happy with a 750 average!

Warwick is my first choice purely due to selection criteria, in that they accept any degree. I'm also applying for Newcastle and Kings (pending UKCAT score) and maybe a five year option elsewhere. However at 27 I'm mainly targeting GEM.

What about yourself?
Reply 6
Original post by kristia
Do Warwick still have there points system like last year where they score your qualifications etc?

Hey!

I had some trouble responding to your previous post and then when I came to respond on my laptop, it had gone! In response to that post your academic background is excellent. In response to the above post this is not taken into consideration by Warwick. They take into account UKCAT score and degree classification only when inviting to interview. However this is strictly in relation to Warwick's criteria only. Your academic background may well be considered by a large number of other medical schools, you would have to look at them individually.

In terms of your previous experience as an EMT within the ambulance service and current experience as a HCA, this will work in your favour should you be invited to interview. Experience in healthcare and an ability to 'acquire the values' of the NHS are described as 'essential' in the 2015 selection criteria, so you shouldn't have any problems there.
Reply 7
Thanks for the reply and advice. Yeah I deleted my previous post as didn't think anyone would reply LOL

Yeah I just wanted to somwhat use my two masters in the selection process with working so hard for them and use them to my advantage as I remember last year they gave you points for each one and grade you have.
I would like to choose a med school that don't look too highly upon the UKAT and more upon your experience and qualifications.
With already theoreticaly having four degrees upon starting I'm putting my four choices down as graduate entry as I feel I'm at the stage in my life where I have the aptitude and academia to do so. As with the standered 5yr course the majority will be Aleval leaver LOL
I have yet to sit my UKAT so time shall tell.

Original post by House_Elf
Hey!

I had some trouble responding to your previous post and then when I came to respond on my laptop, it had gone! In response to that post your academic background is excellent. In response to the above post this is not taken into consideration by Warwick. They take into account UKCAT score and degree classification only when inviting to interview. However this is strictly in relation to Warwick's criteria only. Your academic background may well be considered by a large number of other medical schools, you would have to look at them individually.

In terms of your previous experience as an EMT within the ambulance service and current experience as a HCA, this will work in your favour should you be invited to interview. Experience in healthcare and an ability to 'acquire the values' of the NHS are described as 'essential' in the 2015 selection criteria, so you shouldn't have any problems there.
I'm looking into applying to Warwick! I'm about to enter final year biomed, currently studying at St George's. My UKCATs next week.

For those who have done your done your ukcat exam, can i just ask if your on screen calculator was used by mouse clicking, or was it touch screen?
Original post by jv.lalloo
I'm looking into applying to Warwick! I'm about to enter final year biomed, currently studying at St George's. My UKCATs next week.

For those who have done your done your ukcat exam, can i just ask if your on screen calculator was used by mouse clicking, or was it touch screen?

The calculator I got on screen was click only but you can use the numbers on the physical keyboard and use / to divide and * to multiply etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I too am applying. 2.1 in biological sciences and a pending masters result from KCL. I am working full time in a London hospital. Yet to sit my UKCAT. from reading other threads the UKCAT is very hard this year. With some sections people really falling down on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ProNick
I too am applying. 2.1 in biological sciences and a pending masters result from KCL. I am working full time in a London hospital. Yet to sit my UKCAT. from reading other threads the UKCAT is very hard this year. With some sections people really falling down on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they've made it more like previous years after last years high average. But looking at the preliminary averages I'd say it's a normal year and last year was easier so to speak

Posted from TSR Mobile
So where else is everyone applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying to Warwick this year too. Applied last year but was unsuccessful. Just graduated 1st class biomedical science and I'm about to start a masters in neuroscience at KCL. I did my UKCAT last week. Happy to answer any questions :smile:
Original post by santi_92
I'm applying to Warwick this year too. Applied last year but was unsuccessful. Just graduated 1st class biomedical science and I'm about to start a masters in neuroscience at KCL. I did my UKCAT last week. Happy to answer any questions :smile:

What's Kings like? I'm on the fence about applying there
Well my masters programme starts in about a week but honestly I'm pretty damn excited about it. The facilities are mind-blowing, and especially for what I'm studying (neuroscience) they've got one of the largest libraries (or is it the largest library) in Western Europe. The academics seem super friendly so far and after speaking with last year's masters class, they haven't had a bad thing to say. My campus is right opposite the hospital too.

When I start next week I'll give an update as to what I think of everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well my masters programme starts in about a week but honestly I'm pretty damn excited about it. The facilities are mind-blowing, and especially for what I'm studying (neuroscience) they've got one of the largest libraries (or is it the largest library) in Western Europe. The academics seem super friendly so far and after speaking with last year's masters class, they haven't had a bad thing to say. My campus is right opposite the hospital too.

When I start next week I'll give an update as to what I think of everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, that's cool to know, I might ask you more questions when you've settled in and nearer the application date!
Awesome, that's cool to know, I might ask you more questions when you've settled in and nearer the application date!

Sure thing feel free :smile:

And to answer your earlier question, I'm also thinking about Barts, Newcastle and Kings.
Thought about Soton and Cambridge but they would probably be pushing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure thing feel free :smile:

And to answer your earlier question, I'm also thinking about Barts, Newcastle and Kings.
Thought about Soton and Cambridge but they would probably be pushing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aah ok, have you been on many open days for them? I'm applying to Warwick, Southampton and Newcastle then Barts or kings, still unsure. It'll probably depend on the ukcat deciles
Aah ok, have you been on many open days for them? I'm applying to Warwick, Southampton and Newcastle then Barts or kings, still unsure. It'll probably depend on the ukcat deciles

Not this year but for last years cycle I went to the warwick open day. I made a post on what I thought of it I can copy and paste it in if you'd like to read it?

As far as I know, Newcastle only invite successful applicants to their medicine open days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending