The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help!

Hi everyone :smile:
I've just completed my AS levels, and got better grades than I could have ever hoped for (2as and 2bs). However, I know that if I am to get into a competitive university, like Bath, to study my course (politics), I will have to do a variety of extra curricular activities. At present, I don't feel that I do enough of these, and was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I am already aiming to complete the AQA Extended Project Qualification next year, but aside from that I don't have much that will impress the universities!
Reply 1
Extended Project is a good idea, but only if you don't put it before your exams; unis prefer good grades, to extra stuff.

I would recommend creating a reading list of Classic Literature (Some Dickens, Austen, Steinbeck, Beckett are a good start; Shakespeare is the best to mention, but only if you mention plays not studied at school), to prove you're a multi talented individual. Universities love a reader, I can tell you. On top of that, mention how you are involved in politics, even if it's subscribing to journals and reading the paper every day (make sure it's not The Sun). Also, if you have any sports, mention them, but don't go over the top.

That's a start, and hope it helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I would like advise about the EPQ that will it help decrease my offer if a apply for Plymouth, Aberystwyth, Swansea, Portsmouth, Bangor, Southampton foundation year and Keele. My AS were not too good so if i got BBC predicted grades would that also help me get an offer. All these universities offers (i have looked up at University.Which.com) are either 100% or 90%+. All i want is an offer, then i KNOW i can get that offer. Just need motivation to achieve it and the offer is that exact thing i need. Help would be MUCH APPRECIATED.
Reply 3
From experience from my own application and friends' applications, some things Universities have liked:
- Part time work. Doesn't matter what - it's good.
- Work experience related to the course - even if it was a little while ago.
- Any clubs etc you might do at Sixth Form.
- Reading around the subject (or not, as long as it's factual stuff and not a Katie Price autobiography), specifically mention book names too. Be aware though, they might ask you about them at interviews so be prepared for questions and express your passion.
- Any hobbies, even if not related - do you enjoy baking every now and again? Do you play for a sports team? Do you help out at the Sixth Form library? Anything like this because it shows that you have interests away from education too.
- Charity fund raising. It's easy to do and is a nice thing to say, even if it's just selling some cakes.
- Any other volunteering, NCS, DofE, Scouts.

Good luck, and well done on your AS results!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tolstoy
Extended Project is a good idea, but only if you don't put it before your exams; unis prefer good grades, to extra stuff.

I would recommend creating a reading list of Classic Literature (Some Dickens, Austen, Steinbeck, Beckett are a good start; Shakespeare is the best to mention, but only if you mention plays not studied at school), to prove you're a multi talented individual. Universities love a reader, I can tell you. On top of that, mention how you are involved in politics, even if it's subscribing to journals and reading the paper every day (make sure it's not The Sun). Also, if you have any sports, mention them, but don't go over the top.

That's a start, and hope it helps.

While reading classic literature is something I encourage people to do, I don't recommend putting it on your Personal Statement. It simply isn't relevant.
Original post by PythianLegume
While reading classic literature is something I encourage people to do, I don't recommend putting it on your Personal Statement. It simply isn't relevant.

Agreed. It would be relevant if you were applying for English, but you aren't, so read some books on Politics. Don't bother with that list of classic literature until you've got enough spare time and have nothing else to do.
Reply 6
Mentoring younger pupils, subject ambassador, school council.....things that show you give back to the school community. This implies that you might do the same at uni. Same for volunteering, young leader at scouts, coaching young people at sport. Your PS should show your commitment and understanding of your subject but then something about you and how you can contribute to a community.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending