The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
The Edinburgh open day was the first one I went to as well. June 17th 2005 :smile:

The open day is pretty much what you make it. Some people use them to wander around the city and spend a small amount of time at the university, whereas other people spend the day at the uni attending talks and tours. Its entirely up to you and both ways are equally as good. Have you been sent a timetable of the days events? As if you have, it'd be a good idea to decide which talks you want to go to in advance, as there might only be one in the day, so its very easy to miss if you're not prepared.

I went to a talk on accommodation which was interesting, then one on studying abroad, and another which was about applying to the university. They are worth going to as you find out about the uni and whether its the right place for you. Then the respective departments also hold drop in sessions where you can talk to lecturers, ask questions, and have a taster to the subject. I enjoyed it. As you're from England i'd advise going to the finance meeting, as the fees for studying in Scotland are different to in England. But for another Scottish open day, say St Andrews, I wouldn't bother going to the finance talk as it will repeat what you've already heard. The same works for England, if you go to Durham's finance talk, don't bother going to the one at Nottingham. Similarly, most universities have a session on the UCAS process, how you get offers, and what to write on your personal statement, which is useful for your first open day, but you don't need to go to this at another university.

One thing I did was to take notes during the day, which was handy for comparing the universities later on in the UCAS process. Also, get to the talks early because they tend to get very very packed, so they may not let you in if you arrive late due to fire access regulations. Thats the case at all open days though, not just Edinburgh.

I think the most important thing is to ask yourself "could I live here?" as I found that within the first 30 minutes I'd decided if I was going to apply or not, and within an hour I knew if the university was one of my favourites.

Latest

Trending

Trending