The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3920
Original post by scitea
I am a science teacher. Do you think this counts as a caring role? I have a lot of pastoral responsibility and work closely with parents and outside organisations including hospital education. I have many students with SEN. I also have voluntary and shadowing work but am wondering if I can put teaching as I know it's relevant! Thoughts anyone?

Absolutely
Original post by scitea
I am a science teacher. Do you think this counts as a caring role? I have a lot of pastoral responsibility and work closely with parents and outside organisations including hospital education. I have many students with SEN. I also have voluntary and shadowing work but am wondering if I can put teaching as I know it's relevant! Thoughts anyone?

Definitely - I would also highlight the responsibility you have and that the teaching aspect is relevant to a career in medicine where lifelong learning/teaching/mentoring/training is really important.
Reply 3922
Brilliant thanks - do you think Warwick will count it in their hours??
I sent my Warwick form off.

Now waiting for Bart's
Warwick form submitted. Now to do Nottingham
Original post by Penguin1024
When will we hear back from Oxford regarding interviews?

I heard back this morning!
Reply 3926
Interview at Birmingham 😀 Warwick form submitted, now just waiting on Barts!
Reply 3927
Original post by Ronron12
I heard back this morning!

How did you hear? email or post?
Original post by scitea
How did you hear? email or post?

I got an email at 12:20 this afternoon
Reply 3929
Well done!! I haven't heard but I'm expecting a rejection as my BMAT was very average :colondollar:. Good luck!
Original post by Ronron12
I got an email at 12:20 this afternoon
Would it be safe to assume that if you haven't received the Warwick work experience form then there'll be a rejection on the way soon?
Original post by DazzleLight
Would it be safe to assume that if you haven't received the Warwick work experience form then there'll be a rejection on the way soon?

The email with the form said that it was sent to people who made the first round, I would imagine that if an unexpected number of people didn't meet the work experience requirements they might have to lower the boundaries and invite a second round but the requirement so small that I don't think there will be many grads who haven't got it :-(
The hard cutoff will be decided in the week commencing 7th December. I think that's when the invites for interview will go out with any rejections based on UKCAT. I hope you get some invites soon.
Original post by Themightylaa
I've only currently got one form of experience really (I'm sitting GAMSAT in September 2016 for 2017 entry as I'm in the final year of my degree right now) but figured you guys are the most up to date to ask: I'm a patient activity volunteer on the Neurosurgery ward for Salford Royal NHS hospital, I do 1-5 on a Tuesday each week. It's mainly feeding and providing drinks for the patients, talking to them and playing games (especially the dementia patients). I get to shadow around during nurse handovers and doctors rounds. I've been doing that since October 2014 and will be continuing to do so (it's permanent) until my "potential" interview in March 2017 (over 2 years later).

That works out at roughly 400 hours of time worked by next year (realistically less since I can't always attend each week), but it's only in one location. Do you think I should branch out more? I probably would anyway but I'm wondering how many DIFFERENT forms of experience I may be best with - does the form give any kind of indication? (My top choice would most definitely be Nottingham). Thanks guys for any input on that you might have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did volunteer work at salford royal, I was in the renal unit at first then A&E, honesty thought it was terrible. Was so disappointed, I was left completely alone, without any direction within minutes of me starting, was an awful experience for me I'm afraid, glad you've been finding it ok.

I asked to be moved (in the hopes of it getting better, or at least someone introduce themselfs to me) hense the chance from renal to A&E, but honestly sticking in one department is totally fine, you'll get to know the healthcare team better ect, you'll have a indepth knowledge of that section of medicine ect, lots to talk about in interview.
Sorry for the slightly random question, but when filling in the Warwick work experience form and naming a referee is this someone to vouch for your performance on the placement or simply to confirm it took place and a rough idea of its content? In other words should I name someone with a good idea of exactly how many hours it was or someone able to tell them in detail about the placement (or either is fine)?
Original post by CharlieGEM
Sorry for the slightly random question, but when filling in the Warwick work experience form and naming a referee is this someone to vouch for your performance on the placement or simply to confirm it took place and a rough idea of its content? In other words should I name someone with a good idea of exactly how many hours it was or someone able to tell them in detail about the placement (or either is fine)?

Just the hours you've done, and a brief outline of your responsibilities. I assume that's to make sure it covers the kind of work experience they're looking for. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LostInYourMusic
Just the hours you've done, and a brief outline of your responsibilities. I assume that's to make sure it covers the kind of work experience they're looking for. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was no box on the Warwick form in which to outline brief responsibilities was there? Was just contacts and ticking boxes..? Or did I miss this free entry box?? 😨
Original post by TillyThea
There was no box on the Warwick form in which to outline brief responsibilities was there? Was just contacts and ticking boxes..? Or did I miss this free entry box?? 😨

It's on the reference template letter don't worry
Original post by CharlieGEM

Hi, just have a word with your referee to make sure you are on the same page regarding the number of hours you have done. This is what I have done.
Do we know if working in the SEN department of a school counts towards the Warwick work experience form. Considering its person centred/carer role and working with vulnerable children. I'm not sure considering that it's not within a medical based setting.

I have 70 hours but this would take me far over which would be nice and comfortable.
Reply 3939
I'm not sure - on their website it says that they fully support the guidelines from the Medical Schools Council and in the document linked it lists SEN experience. So if they don't count it then they are going against what they have said really. But they don't directly list it in their own info so it is hard to tell!

Original post by Aliviarara
Do we know if working in the SEN department of a school counts towards the Warwick work experience form. Considering its person centred/carer role and working with vulnerable children. I'm not sure considering that it's not within a medical based setting.

I have 70 hours but this would take me far over which would be nice and comfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest