The Student Room Group

Career in Law?

Hi guys,

Just looking for some opinions. I graduated 4 years ago from Cardiff uni with a 2.2 in Business. Had extenuating circumstances etc...basically underperformed significantly. Personal circumstances allow me to fully focus on studies this time.

I'm interested in moving into Law. As i understand my current degree would not really be sufficient with a conversion degree to get a training contract. My current plan is to do a 2 year LLB course with the Open Uni (open for graduates) which would allow me to up the grade as such then move onto LPC, look at work experience etc.

I have a number of concerns, namely the reputation of the OU (not concerned with quality - it seems the OU is as good as any red brick), my age (I'm 25) and the lack of training contracts in comparison with those studying the LPC, though this seems to be improving.

I figure that with a business background, strong performance in upcoming courses and some quality work experience i would have a chance.

Can anyone offer any advise or guidance? Love to hear from people with any similar experiences.

Cheers!
Original post by seancook89
Hi guys,

Just looking for some opinions. I graduated 4 years ago from Cardiff uni with a 2.2 in Business. Had extenuating circumstances etc...basically underperformed significantly. Personal circumstances allow me to fully focus on studies this time.

I'm interested in moving into Law. As i understand my current degree would not really be sufficient with a conversion degree to get a training contract. My current plan is to do a 2 year LLB course with the Open Uni (open for graduates) which would allow me to up the grade as such then move onto LPC, look at work experience etc.

I have a number of concerns, namely the reputation of the OU (not concerned with quality - it seems the OU is as good as any red brick), my age (I'm 25) and the lack of training contracts in comparison with those studying the LPC, though this seems to be improving.

I figure that with a business background, strong performance in upcoming courses and some quality work experience i would have a chance.

Can anyone offer any advise or guidance? Love to hear from people with any similar experiences.

Cheers!

I've been working as a legal assistant part time for several years now (tbh only because my mum works at the firm and when they needed some help she offered me!), so I've picked up a huge amount about law and the career paths into it.

You have a couple of choices, depending on where and how you want to work in law.

To become a solicitor:
The GDL does usually require a 2.1 or higher. However, the Unversity of Law does accept graduates with 2.2, and there may be others, so all is not lost if you want to do the GDL!!
The GDL really is the accepted way of getting into law after a non-law degree.

It would indeed be possible to do the OU LLB and then the LPC, but expect that the more competitive firms will not be likely to offer you a training contract. You might be able to get an in at a smaller firm. We have been seeing a lot of people with LLB/GDL and LPC getting jobs as legal secretaries or paralegals to get an in in the firm, then once they have impressed the firm with their knowledge and ability they ask for a training contract when a free one comes up.

Alternatively you could become a lawyer by becoming a Legal Executive (a member of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives), to do this you do not need to have a degree at all. CILEX has their own training program, although it's almost identical in content and rigorousness as that to become a solicitor.
These days the main difference between an LE and a solicitor is that an LE cannot represent clients themselves in the higher levels of court, although the courts that they can advocate in are expanding. On a day to day basis their job is the same. A lot of solicitors instruct a barrister to represent the client in court a lot of the time anyway, especially in higher courts.
(edited 9 years ago)
The OU is really good reputable with the OU you could also get a full time or part time job in law firm and it's a lot more flexible especially if you have personal circumstances

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending