The Student Room Group

What NOT to take to uni?

So everyone asks what you need, but what did you take and never use?
I don't want a massively cluttered room full of uselesss things!

Scroll to see replies

I don't wear half the clothes I take. Literally, I think people overestimate clothing situation.
Take: books, stationary, enough clothes so you can live but remember there will be washing facilities available. Take fancy dress if you have any (so much fun for nights out). Also kitchen items (plates etc) just remember there is only ONE of you so an 18piece set just isn't ideal.
Take things u use everyday, but also remember you will have shops if you forget anything or need anything.

Charlie
Half the clothes I took to uni i didnt ever wear. Nights out (in brighton) are not places where you wear chinos and smart shoes (for a guy)

The whole clothing thing is ridiculous, I promise you by about 2 weeks in, you wont care what you wear on a day to day basis. Wore that hoodie yesterday? Oh well... never mind.

Dinner plates and dinner sets. You need 2 bowls, 2 plates, 2 sets of knives and forks, 3 mugs, a glass, and a wine / pint glass (or both). You dont need 6 of everything. 2 saves you washing up, 6 makes you lazy and your flatmates will hate you for leaving your **** everywhere.

Fancy dress - buy nerd glasses from primark. They work with almost every dress up you can think of.
Reply 4
Also emphasize clothing, I took clothes to university with me that I hadn't worn in years, I ended up throwing about 4 ASDA sized bags of clothing out at the end of the year.

As far as I'm concerned you only need 1 set of cutlery and plate, it takes 2 minutes to wash up after you've finished eating. Don't want stacks of plates with food stuck to the plate because you can't be arsed to wash up 5+ plates. If you only bring 1 of everything you force yourself to clean up after yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Boyfriend/Girlfriend.
Reply 6
Original post by Rosewater

Don't take too many clothes (as above). My wardrobe was overflowing onto my floor for a year and it was horrible! Also, don't take loads of plates etc. I survived the year with 2 plates. So much less washing up and hassle.
Do not take any kind of pet you have to look after these things and if they escaped there would be pandemonium especially if you have exotic pet like a snake or Scorpion and definitely do not bring anything from the DWA list. Yes ok so you got the license and I am shore you love you spitting cobra but if that escaped would you really feel safe sleeping in that room at night of course not so NO PETS
Original post by Rosewater

Anything you haven't used in the last month don't take. I took a huge car full of stuff in freshers and I didn't even touch most of it. I'm going back into third year in sept and i'm taking the bare minimum.

Things that remind you of home you could take (helps if you get home sick). Photos are a good idea. Only take clothes you'll actually where as well.

There's a book on amazon called "A Guide To University By Actual Students" on amazon, it's £1 and it is number 1 in college & university and it goes through everything because it's written by third years. You can read the sample and the contents page if you go on there. It has really helped me even for this year :smile:
Reply 9
Not sure whether to take my 32 inch TV or not.. It fit perfectly in uni halls last year and i'll be moving into private halls this year. I specifically took it for my Xbox because i use my laptop for TV. Thing is i don't use my Xbox that much but at the same time I will get bored in the holidays without it probably and will also likely want to relax sometime during term time too. On the otherhand it's so big it's a pain to move and quite an ugly sighting having a big TV in a small room. Not sure whether to take my 32" tv or buy a small 19" one for about £100 which is a lot of money which is like 4 weeks worth of food.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomsmith2014
Anything you haven't used in the last month don't take. I took a huge car full of stuff in freshers and I didn't even touch most of it. I'm going back into third year in sept and i'm taking the bare minimum.

Things that remind you of home you could take (helps if you get home sick). Photos are a good idea. Only take clothes you'll actually where as well.

There's a book on amazon called "A Guide To University By Actual Students" on amazon, it's £1 and it is number 1 in college & university and it goes through everything because it's written by third years. You can read the sample and the contents page if you go on there. It has really helped me even for this year :smile:

I'm beginning to think that you wrote this book judging by how many times you've recommended it to people. :tongue:
Im starting uni in september and clotheswise i only ever really wear like 5outfits, and the same 3pairs of shoes.. so im limiting myself to about 2weeks worth of clothes (totally against the stereotype for a girl).

Kitchen stuff ive got like 3of each. And if i decide i dont want something im lucky enough to be going to uni near my gran so i can leave stuff there :')

Stationary on the other hand ill have a huge problem minimising on :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruffiio
Not sure whether to take my 32 inch TV or not.. It fit perfectly in uni halls last year and i'll be moving into private halls this year. I specifically took it for my Xbox because i use my laptop for TV. Thing is i don't use my Xbox that much but at the same time I will get bored in the holidays without it probably and will also likely want to relax sometime during term time too. On the otherhand it's so big it's a pain to move and quite an ugly sighting having a big TV in a small room. Not sure whether to take my 32" tv or buy a small 19" one for about £100 which is a lot of money which is like 4 weeks worth of food.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think get a smaller tv maybe 20"-25" I think anything larger makes you look like a prat
Cocaine.
Original post by Rooster523
Cocaine.

...Well, duh...*takes several suspicious bags out of case*
Original post by New- Emperor
Do not take any kind of pet you have to look after these things and if they escaped there would be pandemonium especially if you have exotic pet like a snake or Scorpion and definitely do not bring anything from the DWA list. Yes ok so you got the license and I am shore you love you spitting cobra but if that escaped would you really feel safe sleeping in that room at night of course not so NO PETS

or your Crocodile
Original post by New- Emperor

What about my 9ft pet grizzly, Fluff ball??????
Original post by Marshall22

I assume that would be fine lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PrinceyJ
Boyfriend/Girlfriend.

christ lmao.
Original post by Marshall22

LOL sarcasm right ? hear is an outline of what the DWA license is

A Dangerous Wild Animals (D.W.A.) license allows you to keep animals and pets in your home or on your property that are typically considered dangerous or threatening to the general population; such as primates, reptiles, arachnids, and hybrids such as wolf-dogs. At this time, you can only obtain a D.W.A. license if you are a resident living in the United Kingdom (UK), and if you meet certain criteria as enforced by your local council. After you have consulted with your local council to determine the laws for D.W.A. licensing in your area, you can apply for a license by filling out an application. Only after you receive your D.W.A. license can you permit dangerous, wild animals into your home. Continue reading this article to learn about the steps you must take to obtain a D.W.A. license in the UK.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest