The Student Room Group

What is the A-Level "2 year policy" for applying to Oxford?

I am yet to see any proof of this "2 year A-Level policy" whereby, you have to complete your A-levels in 2 years which means you can't retake a-levels in a third year or due to extra-circumstances you needed a 3rd year. There is nothing on the website about this but I have seen people commenting about it.

Is this just another oxbridge application rumour or a real thing? Please can you share the weblink if there is one that shows this policy?
Original post by ebcookie
I am yet to see any proof of this "2 year A-Level policy" whereby, you have to complete your A-levels in 2 years which means you can't retake a-levels in a third year or due to extra-circumstances you needed a 3rd year. There is nothing on the website about this but I have seen people commenting about it.

Is this just another oxbridge application rumour or a real thing? Please can you share the weblink if there is one that shows this policy?

They don't have a two year policy. This is something a few medical schools have, and that's it as far as I'm aware.
If it takes you three years to do A levels and you don't have any extenuating circumstances they may be concerned however with your ability to cope with a challenging degree - particularly since I don't think they allow resits there (at least they don't at Cambridge).
If you have extenuating circumstances however, they probably wouldn't have a problem with you taking another year to do A levels - as long as your results improved significantly and you met their entrance requirements.
I'm sure i've read somewhere on their website that it gives you a disadvantage...

...but I also read a story about a guy who was basically acting like a character from skins and then had to retake the year before ending up in Oxford. So you still can apply but they're going to want a MUCH bigger improvement. Try and get as high as you can and retake as few modules as you can but talk to your teachers first/order back a photocopy of your scripts if you'll have a remark or something.
Reply 3
Original post by dragonkeeper999
They don't have a two year policy. This is something a few medical schools have, and that's it as far as I'm aware.
If it takes you three years to do A levels and you don't have any extenuating circumstances they may be concerned however with your ability to cope with a challenging degree - particularly since I don't think they allow resits there (at least they don't at Cambridge).
If you have extenuating circumstances however, they probably wouldn't have a problem with you taking another year to do A levels - as long as your results improved significantly and you met their entrance requirements.

Both universities say they allow resits (except medicine)
This is what the Oxford website says:
The usual expectation is that candidates will complete the A-levels specified in their applications within a two year period. Where a candidate completes a relevant A-level before they apply, this will be taken into account.

Certainly with extenuating circumstances three years is fine, and similarly if you realise you want to study different subjects (e.g. want to do Chemistry at uni, but hadn't done Maths at A level) then three years is fine. If you're doing three years just because you didn't do very well, it's not an automatic bar on getting a place, but it suggests you might not keep up in the fast paced Oxford environment (where resitting a year isn't really an option).
Both universities say they allow resits (except medicine)

I meant resits of degree exams, not A level. I am aware that at Cambridge we are not able te retake modules, certainly not the whole year, if we fail.
Reply 6

I think the relevant statement is at http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements

where it says:

Courses other than Medicine

The usual expectation is that candidates will complete the A-levels specified in their applications within a two year period. Where a candidate completes a relevant A-level before they apply, this will be taken into account.
Actually I believe I can help! My friend did one year of AS and did okay although she fell short of her own expectations. She subsequently moved to another sixth form where she took four new subjects to AS and three to A2, doing quite a bit better than in her first year of AS. Last she was accepted into Oxford although didn't make her grades and is now going to her insurance. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules concerning A-Levels, unless of course we are talking strictly about medicine.
Reply 8
Original post by colourtheory
Actually I believe I can help! My friend did one year of AS and did okay although she fell short of her own expectations. She subsequently moved to another sixth form where she took four new subjects to AS and three to A2, doing quite a bit better than in her first year of AS. Last she was accepted into Oxford although didn't make her grades and is now going to her insurance. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules concerning A-Levels, unless of course we are talking strictly about medicine.

Changing subjects is a different kettle of fish to just taking three years though. The extra year is necessary if you find you've not taken the right subjects for a course you want to do, whereas if those are the same subjects then it implies they're unlikely to either a) be capable enough to deal with the intensity at Oxford and/or b) don't have a good enough work ethic. Everything in context of course, but your friend had an offer for subjects that she actually would have done within the two years.
Original post by Nymthae
Changing subjects is a different kettle of fish to just taking three years though. The extra year is necessary if you find you've not taken the right subjects for a course you want to do, whereas if those are the same subjects then it implies they're unlikely to either a) be capable enough to deal with the intensity at Oxford and/or b) don't have a good enough work ethic. Everything in context of course, but your friend had an offer for subjects that she actually would have done within the two years.

I'm sorry, I just read back my previous post and she actually retook English Lit in which she originally achieved a D :smile: She also originally took Ancient History and later took History. So make of that what you will, I just think it's impossible to say no or never. Admissions tutors are often more flexible and understanding than people give them credit for, the OP will never get in if they don't apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending