The Student Room Group

Gap year before applying to medicine?

I'm thinking of taking a gap year to complete some much needed work experience abroad and also want to take an extra A Level in Statistics Maths or Further maths. I'm going to start A2 this september. I'll be applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and King's for 2016 entry as I'm probably not applying this year. Out of interest, do the above unis mind gap year applicants? If not, when do i apply? This year for deferred entry or after i receive my A2 results? Thanks
Original post by xeez96
I'm thinking of taking a gap year to complete some much needed work experience abroad and also want to take an extra A Level in Statistics Maths or Further maths. I'm going to start A2 this september. I'll be applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and King's for 2016 entry as I'm probably not applying this year. Out of interest, do the above unis mind gap year applicants? If not, when do i apply? This year for deferred entry or after i receive my A2 results? Thanks

This is similar to what I did and it really helped me. I got some good work experience and did 2 more a-levels in a year (at school I didn't know i wanted to do med).

A lot of med schools ( at open days and interview) had admissions tutors who commented that gap year and more mature students sometimes interest them more as we have more life experience, are more definite about what we want to do and can present as stronger candidates.

However, you really should check with individual med schools, and policies change every year. I applied to cambridge, st andrews, ucl, and kings. TBH I don't think that kings and UCL were that keen on it, i afterwards felt that i hadn't done enough research in that regard.

Certainly, most top tier med schools don't like deferred entry; there are a few that allow it if you talk to them personally about why you want to do it, but you really need to have a good reason and a plan for what you are doing with that year (bigger than taking more a-levels and getting work experience).

There are a handful of med school that don't like either deferred entry or gap years, so check this before you apply.

Also, think carefully about the fact that you would be applying to all very competitive top tier med schools. I don't want to be negative, but that's what I did and it's a risky option. Most people apply to at least one school outside of oxbridge or london as an insurance, as this can be a common reason for getting 4 rejections. I was advised not to do it, I was lucky that that was not the case for me.

Do your homework and this may be a very viable option. Good luck!
Reply 2
Thanks, I appreciate the help :smile:

May I ask what uni you're studying at now?
Reply 3
Hey I got 4 rejections last year and am reapplying this September! I'm just beginning my gap year so pm me if you have any questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xeez96
Thanks, I appreciate the help :smile:

May I ask what uni you're studying at now?

Hi, no problem :smile:

I'm at St Andrews now, which is awesome, it was the course that I liked best :biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest