The Student Room Group

HELP !! Will a U at AS make my UCAS application look really bad ??

I got a U in maths and I'm planning on dropping it.
I heard that you have to declare all grades on UCAS.
I plan on applying to Nottingham, Southampton, King's College, City & South Bank for child nursing.
Will the U make my application look weak ????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah. I don't even have an AS and still got all my offers.

As long as you have your work experience for nursing, you will have a good shot.
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer

As long as you have your work experience for nursing, you will have a good shot.

Ok
Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 3
I got a U in the AS I dropped and I got offers. The subject I failed was totally unrelated to my degree choice anyway.
Original post by Jkizer

What were your other a2 grades

Im in the same dilemma

Original post by Shanzii
Ok
Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Shanzii
I plan on applying to Nottingham, Southampton, King's College, City & South Bank for child nursing.

It shouldn't matter no, unless they specific they want 3 A Levels and a AS. Sometimes they want a C or higher. Apart from that, I got an E in Chem at AS, and that didn't hinder my application at all :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Ndella
I got a U in the AS I dropped and I got offers. The subject I failed was totally unrelated to my degree choice anyway.

Oh ok, I still have hope
I got the U in maths though. Isn't that important to nursing ??
Reply 7
Original post by bubble999
It shouldn't matter no, unless they specific they want 3 A Levels and a AS. Sometimes they want a C or higher. Apart from that, I got an E in Chem at AS, and that didn't hinder my application at all :smile:

Ok good.
They only want 3 A levels luckily
Feeling hopeful again
Thank you
Reply 8
Original post by Aneesah_May
What were your other a2 grades

Im in the same dilemma

Sorry, I've only just done my AS and I'm going to start A2 in September.
I got BDD (Psychology, Biology, Chemistry) - those Ds are only marks away from a C.

I'm really worried as child nursing in particular is really competitive and there are only 40 places or so in each university for the course.
Reply 9
Original post by Shanzii
Oh ok, I still have hope
I got the U in maths though. Isn't that important to nursing ??

I'm no expert but I think you'd be fine. If you were applying for medicine on the other hand, there may be a problem. Biology and chemistry must be good enough :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Ndella
I'm no expert but I think you'd be fine. If you were applying for medicine on the other hand, there may be a problem. Biology and chemistry must be good enough :smile:

Good ! I feel so relieved :smile:
Original post by Shanzii
Sorry, I've only just done my AS and I'm going to start A2 in September.
I got BDD (Psychology, Biology, Chemistry) - those Ds are only marks away from a C.

I'm really worried as child nursing in particular is really competitive and there are only 40 places or so in each university for the course.

I got abcu in psychology history biology physics in that order and I want to apply to psychology

Will I be fine with only 3 a levels or should I pick up an as-level
Reply 12
I got abcu in psychology history biology physics in that order and I want to apply to psychology

Will I be fine with only 3 a levels or should I pick up an as-level

That's really good !!!! Defo drop physics as it's unrelated then you'll be fine.
You don't need to pick up an AS
I've dropped maths and I'll only be doing 3 A levels in September.
Unis only really want 3 A levels anyway :smile:
Original post by Shanzii

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.
Original post by Shanzii
That's really good !!!! Defo drop physics as it's unrelated then you'll be fine.
You don't need to pick up an AS
I've dropped maths and I'll only be doing 3 A levels in September.
Unis only really want 3 A levels anyway :smile:

Thanks I was dropping it anyway
Reply 15
Original post by German123
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.

I know that though
My parents frown upon BTECS (They're African lol)
African parents never understand the struggle of A levels and are always angry when you don't get As/A*s all the time.
You wouldn't understand man :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Thanks I was dropping it anyway

Mind, you are very brave to have done physics though coz that's a hard subject man :wink:
Original post by Shanzii
I know that though
African parents never understand the struggle of A levels and are always angry when you don't get As/A*s all the time.

Lol mine are asian I totally get you
Reply 18
Lol mine are asian I totally get you

Lol parents never understand man.
I always get told stories about how they got As in maths when calculators weren't even around haha :tongue:
Original post by Shanzii
I know that though

LOL i think all parents are like that. There is no reason why your parents should frown upon you BTECS as they are qualifictions too. What i means is that it is better to have a qualification than nothing dont you think so too? BTECS are designed for students who learn in a different way and since you did not do good in maths i think they should change their thoughts about this. Some unis dont accept BTECS and thats because their uni course is more rigurous and is designed for the most academic so giving a place for a person who studied a BTEC would definately be a bad idea as the person would struggle and have hardly any exam practice/experience as BTECS are made up of mostly coursework.

I think you should spend time talking to your parents as you need to pick the right path( be it studying a BTEC or A levels) to ensure yourself success. Remember not everyone looks down on BTECS.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest