The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone starting MST124 this October?

I'm going to be starting my OU maths degree this October. I chose the standard start.

Scroll to see replies

MST124 and 125 here.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Yep; following on from mu123 and m140....trying to build some maths/stats experience.
Reply 3
Original post by BestProfileName
MST124 and 125 here.

Are you doing a maths degree?
Trying to build maths and stats experience so i can do an ecology phd
Original post by muj121
Are you doing a maths degree?

Maths and Physics joint honours. I'll be doing MST210 and two Maths modules in final year.
Reply 6
Hi all - I'm coming to the end of MST124 now (my exam is in a month) - if you have any questions about the module i'd be happy to answer them! I've really enjoyed studying it and I'm looking forward to MST125 (hopefully!)
Reply 7
Original post by Lorypop
Hi all - I'm coming to the end of MST124 now (my exam is in a month) - if you have any questions about the module i'd be happy to answer them! I've really enjoyed studying it and I'm looking forward to MST125 (hopefully!)

Hi
What degree are you doing? Are you doing 60 or 120 credits? Have you done A-level maths before?
Reply 8
Original post by muj121
Hi
What degree are you doing? Are you doing 60 or 120 credits? Have you done A-level maths before?

I'm doing an open certificate of higher education - which is 120 credits overall. MST124 has been my only module this year, so i've done 30 credits.

I wouldn't want to have done more than that this year - I was studying at Birkbeck in London too. I hadn't done a level maths - my only experience was GCSE a few years ago. It jumps well beyond that in the first unit. I think the last couple of units on complex numbers and Taylor polynomials are beyond the a level curriculum, but I would guess having a level would be an advantage for the first half or so. It hasn't stopped me getting distinctions on assignments though, but I had to work hard for them! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Lorypop
I'm doing an open certificate of higher education - which is 120 credits overall. MST124 has been my only module this year, so i've done 30 credits.

I wouldn't want to have done more than that this year - I was studying at Birkbeck in London too. I hadn't done a level maths - my only experience was GCSE a few years ago. It jumps well beyond that in the first unit. I think the last couple of units on complex numbers and Taylor polynomials are beyond the a level curriculum, but I would guess having a level would be an advantage for the first half or so. It hasn't stopped me getting distinctions on assignments though, but I had to work hard for them! :smile:

That's great. How many hours did you put in weekly?
Reply 10
Original post by muj121
That's great. How many hours did you put in weekly?

It varied a lot. In the beginning it was probably a max of three or four. Assignments I would easily put in a couple of six hour days at the weekend and do some more in the evenings too - but I didn't work every week as sometimes I had other deadlines that took priority. The difficulty really jumps between units 6 and 7 - once I started differentiation I was putting an extra two or three hours in every week. Units 10 to 12 take a bit longer again.

I would strongly recommend keeping up with it and putting in a couple of hours every week as I now have masses to revise, and the later units take a while to get your head around. I didn't bother much with the computer maths bit, only for assignments, and it's not necessary to spend much time on it at all really.
Reply 11
Original post by Lorypop
It varied a lot. In the beginning it was probably a max of three or four. Assignments I would easily put in a couple of six hour days at the weekend and do some more in the evenings too - but I didn't work every week as sometimes I had other deadlines that took priority. The difficulty really jumps between units 6 and 7 - once I started differentiation I was putting an extra two or three hours in every week. Units 10 to 12 take a bit longer again.

I would strongly recommend keeping up with it and putting in a couple of hours every week as I now have masses to revise, and the later units take a while to get your head around. I didn't bother much with the computer maths bit, only for assignments, and it's not necessary to spend much time on it at all really.

In terms of differentiation did you learn stuff like the product rule? That came up in maths a-level. I think me personally I should find the module ok as I did well in maths a levels 2 years ago and I remember most of it.
Starting MST124 as a part of my first year of the Natural Sciences BSe. I'm taking the full course load (S104, S141). I am not sure which science I wanted to focus on, so taking this course keeps my options open.
Reply 13
Original post by muj121
In terms of differentiation did you learn stuff like the product rule? That came up in maths a-level. I think me personally I should find the module ok as I did well in maths a levels 2 years ago and I remember most of it.

Yes - the differentiation we covered was product rule, sum rule and the chain rule. We covered similar detail in integration - up to integration by parts, substitution and trigonometric identities. Then it moves on to basic matrices, sequences, Taylor polynomials and finishing on complex numbers. :smile: I don't know the a level maths syllabus so I don't know how comparable they are unfortunately.
Reply 14
Original post by theawfulawful
Starting MST124 as a part of my first year of the Natural Sciences BSe. I'm taking the full course load (S104, S141). I am not sure which science I wanted to focus on, so taking this course keeps my options open.

So are you doing 120 credits? Are you working at the same time?
Original post by muj121
So are you doing 120 credits? Are you working at the same time?

No, full time student for now.
Reply 16
Original post by theawfulawful
No, full time student for now.

How's the workload?
Original post by muj121
How's the workload?

Not sure yet. I am starting in the autumn. I have been structuring my time until then with most days spending 6-8 hours studying during the week, so I hope I can maintain that pace during the upcoming year.
Another new Mathematics student here. :smile: Will be doing MST124 & MST125, as well as Stats and German, starting in October.

I checked out their sample content and module descriptions for the two modules, and I would say that most of MST124 is A-Level Maths revision, while MST125 goes into Further Maths, which I took at A-Level as well.
Reply 19
Original post by audacious-ant
Another new Mathematics student here. :smile: Will be doing MST124 & MST125, as well as Stats and German, starting in October.

I checked out their sample content and module descriptions for the two modules, and I would say that most of MST124 is A-Level Maths revision, while MST125 goes into Further Maths, which I took at A-Level as well.

So you're doing 120 credits? Are you doing maths or maths and stats?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending