The Student Room Group

Anyone doing MAT or did MAT?

Hi
I just started to prepare for MAT test for oxford today
I am finding it soooooo hard and complicated
Anyone had same kind of issues?
Will i used to it if i keep practising past papers?
Plz share ur experience if u have done it before?
txx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kabilan13

What marks did you get in AS maths (and FM if you did it)?
Reply 2
Original post by mr m
what marks did you get in as maths (and fm if you did it)?

c1 - 100
c2 - 94
s1 - 97
fp1 - 90
d1 - 80
s2 - 90
The MAT isn't a paper you can prepare for in the same way you can prepare for an A Level exam. A Levels test learning - exams are repetitive and the more you do, the more used you get to the question style to the point where you will probably not be surprised in an exam. The MAT is an aptitude test (hence the name). Whilst you obviously should do past papers, you won't be able to rote-learn in the way you can learn for an A Level paper. Of course it's hard - A Level Maths really is not that difficult in the greater scheme of thing. It's supposed to be hard - Oxford is an extremely competitive university!

You need to work on developing your mathematical mind. There aren't that many MAT papers available to try, so maybe look at some STEP papers for inspiration.
Reply 4
c1 - 100
c2 - 94
s1 - 97
fp1 - 90
d1 - 80
s2 - 90

I missed a whole question on s2 as the question required knowledge from c4
so i lost about 6 raw marks on that question.
c1 - 100
c2 - 94
s1 - 97
fp1 - 90
d1 - 80
s2 - 90

You should be good enough. Try a past paper then check your answers carefully against the mark scheme then repeat. If you don't want to use up all the papers try some STEP I questions or AEA questions (be aware you won't be able to access more than a few questions on each paper).
(edited 9 years ago)

Is this true? You mustn't be doing Edexcel then since S2 only needs S1 knowledge and S2 knowledge.
Original post by MathMeister
Is this true? You mustn't be doing Edexcel then since S2 only needs S1 knowledge and S2 knowledge.

This isn't the case. C1 to C4 knowledge is assumed as this is an A2 module.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M

Yes, But my school usually do s2 in AS further maths and i never seen an C3 or C4 questions on any S2 paper before
so i took a gamble but im pretty pleased with my ums.
Original post by Mr M

Really? The specification states for the modules, what knowledge is assumed (including the preambles and prerequisites).
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf
So surely for S2, nothing more than S1 is needed?
You don't even need to know much of S1 for S2 except for a few bits and bobs which can be easily taught. As I did S2 without S1 and did fine.
Reply 11
Just to understand the STEP-MAT relation/comparison. Would you say someone with S in STEP I would get an outstanding score in MAT?
Really? The specification states for the modules, what knowledge is assumed (including the preambles and prerequisites).
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf

There's a bit at the front that says knowledge from the core (this means C1 to C2 for AS and C1 to C4 for A2) is needed. You can hunt for it if you really want to.

Edit: Page 14
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Allic
Just to understand the STEP-MAT relation/comparison. Would you say someone with S in STEP I would get an outstanding score in MAT?

MAT is a lot easier than STEP so yes.
Reply 14
Original post by Allic

If someone has already sat STEP I and obtained an S, then yes, you would expect this.

But for most people the choice is between:
sitting MAT in 4th term
OR
sitting STEP in 6th term

and it's possible (indeed, likely) for people's mathematical understanding to mature quite a bit over the extra 2 terms, so the first option may actually be more difficult for some students.
Original post by Mr M
There's a bit at the front that says knowledge from the core (this means C1 to C2 for AS and C1 to C4 for A2) is needed. You can hunt for it if you really want to.

Edit: Page 14

I see. So should I raise this with my college and see if I can do 3 AS application modules? (and wait until A2 where I'd be competent at c3 and c4)
I see. So should I raise this with my college and see if I can do 3 AS application modules? (and wait until A2 where I'd be competent at c3 and c4)

Were you planning to do something early then?

For Edexcel S2, the prerequisites are
"A knowledge of the specification for S1 and its prerequisites and associated formulae, together with a knowledge of differentiation and integration of polynomials, binomial coefficients in connection with the binomial distribution and the evaluation of the exponential function is assumed and may be tested."
The mechanics modules spell out how much pure maths is required.

I believe that this bit
"The knowledge, understanding and skills required for all Mathematics specifications are contained in the subject core. The units C1, C2, C3 and C4 comprise this core material."
refers to the material that all of the exam boards must include in their A level. That is why their applied modules vary quite a bit.

I'd be interested to know whether Kabilan was doing Edexcel and, if so, which bit he thought required C4 knowledge.
so i lost about 6 raw marks on that question.

..Please may you possibly share which question you think requires C4 knowledge?
Reply 19
..Please may you possibly share which question you think requires C4 knowledge?

Yh
It was something like integrating 0.5sin2x to show that the pdf is valid
I also had to find the upper quartile by intergrating
I did ocr by the way
If anyone have ocr June 2014 s2 paper plc share it

Quick Reply

Latest