The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Occupational therapy

I really want to be an occupational therapist.
I want to go to Cardiff University to study in 2015.. what can I say? I enjoy being organised. Could anyone give me any idea of what the course is like? and how I should go about my personal statement?

ANY help/advice would be MASSIVELY appreciated x x x
Reply 1
Anyone?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by Ffion_Mair
I really want to be an occupational therapist.
I want to go to Cardiff University to study in 2015.. what can I say? I enjoy being organised. Could anyone give me any idea of what the course is like? and how I should go about my personal statement?

ANY help/advice would be MASSIVELY appreciated x x x

Hi I'm waiting for confirmation for my place on OT, but not at Cardiff. For your personal statement, you need to demonstrate an clear understanding of the course (check the uni website) and OT as a career. Talk about any transferable skills, ie communication and any relevant work experience or shadowing. Try to get some volunteer work in. Some hospitals also offer taster days, so get in touch with local health trusts to see if any are going on.

Other good resources are the BAOT/COT website and NHS Careers website. Good luck!
Reply 3
Oh wow! Where have you applied? Thanks for the help, I'll definitely have a look at those websites.

So far I've done around 80 hours of work experience at the moment. I'm planning to do more throughout the year. But so far I've done some carer shadowing in a nursing home for a week, and then I decided to do some voluntary work experience there again throughout my summer. Do you think nursing home work experience is a good placement for my application? I'm planning on shadowing a occupational therapist before Christmas too. And maybe a week in a school's special needs unit, and primary school.

My main worry is that I won't come across strong enough in the statement. I want to do this so badly I even look at occupational therapy stuff in social media like instagram, pintrest and fcbk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending