The Student Room Group

Are Medicine, Dentistry and Vet Med the only courses that matter?

Scroll to see replies

They are if you want to be a doctor, dentist or vet I guess.
Original post by Charlizarddd
Just because you've gotten famous doesn't mean that they've lived full lives. The point I was trying to make originally is that STEM courses are harder to learn and are worthy of constant lectures because they cannot be self taught. I'm not saying Art and literature are a waste of time because that would be incorrect but as far Art, experience is far more useful than a degree.

Well, isn't that *******s.
Ever hear of Ramanujan?
Maths, being the foundation of pretty much every stem subject, can be self taught more than any other degree.
Of course not.
Original post by Charlizarddd
Just because you've gotten famous doesn't mean that they've lived full lives. The point I was trying to make originally is that STEM courses are harder to learn and are worthy of constant lectures because they cannot be self taught. I'm not saying Art and literature are a waste of time because that would be incorrect but as far Art, experience is far more useful than a degree.

Such nonsense. Whilst it's easier to teach yourself Art than any scientific degree, you can certainly teach yourself a STEM degree. What does teach yourself even mean? Use a couple of textbooks, maybe a few YouTube videos, and you can teach yourself the theoretical aspects of almost anything. Most people from various universities and courses tell me that they learn more on their own anyway. The lecture material is generally less well structured than a textbook, but you'll do better in the exam studying the lecture material (almost always online for you anyway) because the lecturer will base most of the exam around the module material...

Before some idiot says, "yeah well it's tougher". Even if I granted that it doesn't make it nigh on impossible.
Original post by BestProfileName
Such nonsense. Whilst it's easier to teach yourself Art than any scientific degree, you can certainly teach yourself a STEM degree. What does teach yourself even mean? Use a couple of textbooks, maybe a few YouTube videos, and you can teach yourself the theoretical aspects of almost anything. Most people from various universities and courses tell me that they learn more on their own anyway. The lecture material is generally less well structured than a textbook, but you'll do better in the exam studying the lecture material (almost always online for you anyway) because the lecturer will base most of the exam around the module material...

Before some idiot says, "yeah well it's tougher". Even if I granted that it doesn't make it nigh on impossible.

Absolutely true!
I think what people failing to recognise is that stem courses and subjects may be heavily academically challenging but not doing stem doesnt make you stupid.
People are good at different things and I'd love to see some of these people who think stem is the only thing worth doing try a music degree or art because the majority would suck and therefore find the degree extreme hard. The subjects they all look down on are only easy if you're good, talented and work hard like just like a stem course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
Absolutely true!
I think what people failing to recognise is that stem courses and subjects may be heavily academically challenging but not doing stem doesnt make you stupid.
People are good at different things and I'd love to see some of these people who think stem is the only thing worth doing try a music degree or art because the majority would suck and therefore find the degree extreme hard. The subjects they all look down on are only easy if you're good, talented and work hard like just like a stem course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think all this stems from the fact that the older generation believe, quite rightly so, that most arts degrees are pretty useless in terms of getting a good, secure job.

Intelligence is irrelevant.
Original post by alevelzzz
I think all this stems from the fact that the older generation believe, quite rightly so, that most arts degrees are pretty useless in terms of getting a good, secure job.

Intelligence is irrelevant.

Surely that depends what you want to get a job doing....
If you want to be an engineer or a doctor then yeah stem is the only way that's happening.
However, if you want to be an orchestral musician, or an opera singer or an actress then doing stem is pretty pointless and would in this case be pointless. A stem degree wouldnt be a lot of use if want to be a lawyer or a language translator or an english teacher all of which are very relevant professions. Hence you believe it wrongly so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
Surely that depends what you want to get a job doing....
If you want to be an engineer or a doctor then yeah stem is the only way that's happening.
However, if you want to be an orchestral musician, or an opera singer or an actress then doing stem is pretty pointless and would in this case be pointless. A stem degree wouldnt be a lot of use if want to be a lawyer or a language translator or an english teacher all of which are very relevant professions. Hence you believe it wrongly so

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd be surprised.
Besides, thats not what I said. I said a good job prospects are perceived to be much better with stem graduates, which is probably true. Arts graduates have higher unemployment rates, and higher numbers working in jobs with no relevance to their degree.
Reply 128
You'd be surprised.
Besides, thats not what I said. I said a good job prospects are perceived to be much better with stem graduates, which is probably true. Arts graduates have higher unemployment rates, and higher numbers working in jobs with no relevance to their degree.

You seem to think you know a lot, even with zero business or university experience? :confused:
You'd be surprised.

I would imagine that's true they are likely to have higher unemployment but that doesnt actually make them useless or prove that stem is the only way to go.
It takes all sorts to make things work, society can't function with a bunch of stem grads and nothing else can it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mansun
You seem to think you know a lot, even with zero business or university experience? :confused:

Read my posts, I said there is a stigma that arts graduates do not get jobs, and it is proven true by employment statistics.
Pretty much every single profession is saturated right now, 17500 law graduates for ~4500 law jobs. Doctors can't find consultant positions, dentists can't find VT positions, pharmacy is dead, architects have on of the highest unemployment rates too.
Original post by em.d_4
I would imagine that's true they are likely to have higher unemployment but that doesnt actually make them useless or prove that stem is the only way to go.
It takes all sorts to make things work, society can't function with a bunch of stem grads and nothing else can it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

wtf? Did you not read my original post? I said intelligence is irrelevant, arts graduates are not useless people. I just said that this is the opinion people have of arts degrees.
wtf? Did you not read my original post? I said intelligence is irrelevant, arts graduates are not useless people. I just said that this is the opinion people have of arts degrees.

Dude you have got to chill out, there's no need to get so aggressive especially when we're essentially on the same page with this topic.
It's just a bit of debate you take it a tad seriously! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 133
Read my posts, I said there is a stigma that arts graduates do not get jobs, and it is proven true by employment statistics.
Pretty much every single profession is saturated right now, 17500 law graduates for ~4500 law jobs. Doctors can't find consultant positions, dentists can't find VT positions, pharmacy is dead, architects have on of the highest unemployment rates too.

With the right personal qualities and aptitude, and intelligence, graduates from any degree will be successful. It is far too simplistic just to throw all arts graduates into the rubbish bin that they are less employable than STEM graduates. That is not the case, it is just that there are far, far more of them around than STEM graduates. Many of the top jobs in the media and in the Civil Service go to arts graduates, those who genuinely do have serious brain power and personal qualities, irrespective of their degree subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending