The Student Room Group

Imperial College A100 applicants 2015 entry

Hello everybody :smile:
This thread is for all of us applying for medicine at imperial. Feel free to include your stats, thoughts, etc..
Good Luck :smile:

GCSE:1A* 5As, 2Bs, 2Cs
AS:AAAAC in Maths, chemistry, physics, italian and biology respectively.
Extra curricular/volunteering: 1 week shadowing in ENT, Volunteering at local hospice, founder of school science society, NCS, Young enterprise county fnalists.

Scroll to see replies

I like the eagerness and earliness with which this thread has been created. I'm going to go into my second year of Medicine at Imperial this year, feel free to ask me anything you want! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Samriddha
I like the eagerness and earliness with which this thread has been created. I'm going to go into my second year of Medicine at Imperial this year, feel free to ask me anything you want! :smile:

Well, not as early as others :P
What was the part of the application that you found most daunting? How did you do in the BMAT?
Hi! I'm planning on applying to Imperial (although I have no idea how I would afford to live in London if I got in).

Spoiler

Original post by Hectors
Well, not as early as others :P
What was the part of the application that you found most daunting? How did you do in the BMAT?

Hmm, I think the most daunting part was definitely the BMAT for me, wwith regards to Imperial anyways. I wasn't sure if I'd do well enough. I wasn't too nervous for the interview because I already had an offer from HYMS and most people who get an interview at Imperial get in too! So I think getting the interview is the hardest part. After that I think it's more a case of proving you're a normal sensible human being who knows what he's signing up for more than anything else. My BMAT results were: 5, 6.2, 3A
Reply 5
I'm considering applying to Imperial this year… :smile:
Already done my A Levels this summer - A*A*A*a (what a relief!)
- subjects: Chem, Bio, History, and AS Physics
Now just need to work for the BMAT! :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Hmm, I think the most daunting part was definitely the BMAT for me, wwith regards to Imperial anyways. I wasn't sure if I'd do well enough. I wasn't too nervous for the interview because I already had an offer from HYMS and most people who get an interview at Imperial get in too! So I think getting the interview is the hardest part. After that I think it's more a case of proving you're a normal sensible human being who knows what he's signing up for more than anything else. My BMAT results were: 5, 6.2, 3A

How did you find the first year?
Reply 7
Original post by A-Cooky
I'm considering applying to Imperial this year… :smile:
Already done my A Levels this summer - A*A*A*a (what a relief!)
- subjects: Chem, Bio, History, and AS Physics
Now just need to work for the BMAT! :s-smilie:

Congratulation on the Amazing results!
I started preparing this morning, the BMAT looks really intense.
Reply 8
Original post by Hectors
Congratulation on the Amazing results!
I started preparing this morning, the BMAT looks really intense.

Thank you! And to you as well! I'm still working on the UKCAT…. trying not to think too much about the BMAT just yet!… :s-smilie:
Original post by Hectors
How did you find the first year?

The first year is really quite relaxed*. You'll have one or two days a week almost every week (I had three day weekends for all of first and some of second term) and a lot of half days. There is a fair bit of work but if you keep on top of it it isn't too crazy. I definitely felt a huuuge step up from A levels, I can't speak for other people though. Mostly just in sheer volume, nothing was intellectually too challenging. Absolutely everyone above second year is of the opinion that first year is mostly doss and it is super easy but it did not feel like that at the time. :P (Might have something to do with me not doing much work for most of the year haha) I met some really great people and I'm glad I picked it. Everyone is really friendly and you can do anything you want there are so many options, both within the university, medical school and London itself. The only real downside I found was the cost of living in London. But I was really bad at budgeting so I guess it's partly my fault. I can't imagine I would've had any better a time in any other medical school if I'm honest though. The atmosphere is great and it really is just a nice place. Anything you wanted to know about in particular?

*Disclaimer: Although the first year is relaxed, from what I've heard this is overcompensated by second year being a monstrously hard year. (Although this isn't a unanimous opinion...) But apparently it calms down after second year again a little, but not as much as first year obviously :smile:
Reply 10
The first year is really quite relaxed*. You'll have one or two days a week almost every week (I had three day weekends for all of first and some of second term) and a lot of half days. There is a fair bit of work but if you keep on top of it it isn't too crazy. I definitely felt a huuuge step up from A levels, I can't speak for other people though. Mostly just in sheer volume, nothing was intellectually too challenging. Absolutely everyone above second year is of the opinion that first year is mostly doss and it is super easy but it did not feel like that at the time. :P (Might have something to do with me not doing much work for most of the year haha) I met some really great people and I'm glad I picked it. Everyone is really friendly and you can do anything you want there are so many options, both within the university, medical school and London itself. The only real downside I found was the cost of living in London. But I was really bad at budgeting so I guess it's partly my fault. I can't imagine I would've had any better a time in any other medical school if I'm honest though. The atmosphere is great and it really is just a nice place. Anything you wanted to know about in particular?

*Disclaimer: Although the first year is relaxed, from what I've heard this is overcompensated by second year being a monstrously hard year. (Although this isn't a unanimous opinion...) But apparently it calms down after second year again a little, but not as much as first year obviously :smile:

Nothing else comes to my mind, I think you covered everything that i wanted to know. Thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by A-Cooky
Thank you! And to you as well! I'm still working on the UKCAT…. trying not to think too much about the BMAT just yet!… :s-smilie:

I got so much free time I am preparing for both hahahah
Let's waken this thread up, it's almost time to apply now (some have done so already :eek:)!

I'm a reapplicant, got 4 pre-interview rejections last time round. I missed the BMAT cut off in one section by just a mark for Imperial, having a look at the boundaries for last year's paper :frown: Was comfortably above the cut off for two of the sections but then the section that should have been my strongest let me down. :tongue:

Here are my stats and things, if people want to know:

Spoiler

Here we go again... :afraid:

EDIT: Got an offer from them now. :yep:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by usycool1

Spoiler

SIX A-LEVELS?? + Amazing grades as well! :eek::eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
SIX A-LEVELS?? + Amazing grades as well! :eek::eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I should add for people as young as you too who may be worrying about their choices...there is no point in doing the number I did, I just did so for "fun" because I'm weird like that. :biggrin:

Thanks. :colondollar:

(Also, are you stalking me? :sly: :tongue:)
I should add for people as young as you too who may be worrying about their choices...there is no point in doing the number I did, I just did so for "fun" because I'm weird like that. :biggrin:

Thanks. :colondollar:

(Also, are you stalking me? :sly: :tongue:)

For fun? D: Which subjects? That's fine! Ah okay, I'm thinking about doing about 5 but I still have a little while to think about it. :yep:

You're welcome! :biggrin:

Nope. :tongue: I refreshed the app, this was the first thread. I looked and saw... :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Let's waken this thread up, it's almost time to apply now (some have done so already :eek:)!

I'm a reapplicant, got 4 pre-interview rejections last time round. I missed the BMAT cut off in one section by just a mark for Imperial, having a look at the boundaries for last year's paper :frown: Was comfortably above the cut off for two of the sections but then the section that should have been my strongest let me down. :tongue:

Here are my stats and things, if people want to know:

Spoiler

Here we go again... :afraid:

What was your BMAT score last year if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
If you have strong academics / strong personal statement and reference, what sort of BMAT score would secure you an interview?
Reply 18
Original post by ishysmile
If you have strong academics / strong personal statement and reference, what sort of BMAT score would secure you an interview?

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/medicine/mbbsmedicine/entryrequirements
Reply 19
Original post by ishysmile

You have to be above the cut-off and then you get ranked based on your bmat score. The higher the score the earliest you get called for interview :smile:

Quick Reply