The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Isis Black
see i am having this dilema after today!
i went to the DMU open day and really liked it and they have the course i want to do, but i went to the Uni of Leicester open day earlier this month and really loved it there and again they do the course i want to do, so big dilema for me, either way i have to travel by car everyday from Loughborough (mature student with kids so can`t get them moved out of their school)
Really depends on what course you are doing and what you're looking for within that course :smile: The two vary.

Oh, and i'm Leicester all the way. Your dad works for my dad... :tongue:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 21
Theo Townsend
Really depends on what course you are doing and what you're looking for within that course :smile: The two vary.

Oh, and i'm Leicester all the way. Your dad works for my dad... :tongue:

i am looking to do psychology which both unis do. :yep: :woo:

my dad dont work anymore lol :p: whats your dad do??? now my hubby may do depending on his job :p:
Isis Black
i am looking to do psychology which both unis do. :yep: :woo:

my dad dont work anymore lol :p: whats your dad do??? now my hubby may do depending on his job :p:
Haha, I was only joking. There was a uni versus uni bar crawl here recently where that was what the UOL students had on their shirts :wink:
Reply 23
Theo Townsend
Haha, I was only joking. There was a uni versus uni bar crawl here recently where that was what the UOL students had on their shirts :wink:

hehehe :p:
Isis Black
see i am having this dilema after today!
i went to the DMU open day and really liked it and they have the course i want to do, but i went to the Uni of Leicester open day earlier this month and really loved it there and again they do the course i want to do, so big dilema for me, either way i have to travel by car everyday from Loughborough (mature student with kids so can`t get them moved out of their school)

Why not just apply to both and then decide when your offers come through?

To answer the original question - Leicester FTW. I went to their open day and really liked it (although I won't be going there now). OTOH my mum went to DMU (when it was Leicester Polytechnic lol) and I'm not sure that she liked it all that much really.
Reply 25
oh yeah i am going to apply to both! so i cover both bases and wont be disappointed if i get either place!

will see what happens when i get my application in, if i ever do as i am having so much trouble with this bloody personal statement its a nightmare where to start! and what to put as well.
Ohhhh look at me I'm a DMU student and want to ignorantly boast that my university woops the opposing uni's bottom..
(that was sarcasm by the way for those mightifying DMU)

You can't determine what university is better by a forum thread, the same way you can't determine whether or not you should dump a boy/girlfriend.

Attend the open days or the very least try and contact academics of the course you're applying to.
Don't forget to speak to students too since they'll be on the course experiencing its disciplines/teachings!
Reply 27
Don;t be silly.

Leicester [Russell group + top 20 Uni] > DMU [ex-poly, ranked 66th]
JAgg
Don;t be silly.

Leicester [Russell group + top 20 Uni] > DMU [ex-poly, ranked 66th]

Don't be a daft sod!
University league tables mean nothing!
imoneofthem
Don't be a daft sod!
University league tables mean nothing!

Of course they do, that is why Oxford is at the top and crap Uni's are at the bottom. It's not a conincidence that the Uni's we intuitively know as being the best ones are also at or near the top of the tables.

Are tables flawed? - YES.

Should you base your decision on league tables - Absolutely not.

But let's not pretend that Leicester isn't a better University than DMU - it is.

Latest