The Student Room Group

Do Employers care what university you went to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It has to be considered that Oxbridge graduates are more likely to get a job over another person because of the style in which Oxbridge teach. Oxbridge graduates have had to defend their answers and opinions in a clear and confident manner in supervisions each week.
Original post by German123
Yes BTECS are qualifications too so don't let other peoples opinion make you look down on them. Most importantly you should do what you like and what suits you.
Edit::smile:

Eggsactly, I could have gone to a university much higher in the rankings but because I thought a year in industry and it being a masters course would suit me better. The industry year for experience and getting a job easily and the masters because I really love chemistry therefore wanted to do more than just Bachelors.
Original post by Hitashami
Eggsactly, I could have gone to a university much higher in the rankings but because I thought a year in industry and it being a masters course would suit me better. The industry year for experience and getting a job easily and the masters because I really love chemistry therefore wanted to do more than just Bachelors.

Congrats! you are already on the right path as you are doing what you want.:smile:

May i ask why do uni rankings actually matter as you can still get somehing good out of your life without going to the top unis like oxford etc.
Original post by German123
May i ask why do uni rankings actually matter as you can still get somehing good out of your life without going to the top unis like oxford etc.

I know right? They rank them on student satisfaction (some unis are bound to have more societies/better nightlife), entry requirements (some are strict), "quality of coursework assignments etc.

I would think, even if you go to the lowest ranked university, you'd still be quite privileged and do well in life, ie getting a proper job at the end of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know right? They rank them on student satisfaction (some unis are bound to have more societies/better nightlife), entry requirements (some are strict), "quality of coursework assignments etc.

I would think, even if you go to the lowest ranked university, you'd still be quite privileged and do well in life, ie getting a proper job at the end of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that is so true.
Only boring jobs like banking.
Reply 27
Original post by Marcum
It has to be considered that Oxbridge graduates are more likely to get a job over another person because of the style in which Oxbridge teach. Oxbridge graduates have had to defend their answers and opinions in a clear and confident manner in supervisions each week.

Oh please shut up, comments like this...

a) make me want to beat the **** outta something

b) makes me want to get the hell of this site to be away from ***** like you

c) arghhhh

:lol:
So, if I wanted to do law, would it make a difference from an employers perspective if I obtained my degree (assuming it's a 2:1 regardless of where it comes from) from somewhere like Cambridge compared to somewhere like Anglia Ruskin?
Reply 29
Original post by a10
Oh please shut up, comments like this...

a) make me want to beat the **** outta something

b) makes me want to get the hell of this site to be away from ***** like you

c) arghhhh

:lol:

Well that's quite rude. :tongue: I'm not sure what was particularly objectionable about my post. Oxbridge graduates are likely to be more accustomed to performing in a high pressure environment due to the supervision system. It is therefore not unreasonable to suspect they will perform better in interviews.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Marcum
Well that's quite rude. :tongue: I'm not sure what was particularly objectionable about my post. Oxbridge graduates are likely to be more accustomed to performing in a high pressure environment due to supervision system. It is therefore not unreasonable to suspect they will perform better in interviews.

Yeah...come back when you know what you're actually talking about in a few years time, you're still in year 12 and you say this like you've been in the job market all your life.
Reply 31
Original post by a10
Yeah...come back when you know what you're actually talking about in a few years time, you're still in year 12 and you say this like you've been in the job market all your life.

Dismissing my argument on the grounds of my age and lack of experience is poor. I know I have little experience, I'm not going to lie and say I do, however it is not unfair to assume Oxbridge graduates will have better career prospects based on their education.
Reply 32
Original post by Marcum
Dismissing my argument on the grounds of my age and lack of experience is poor. I know I have little experience, I'm not going to lie and say I do, however it is not unfair to assume Oxbridge graduates will have better career prospects based on their education.

I have no problem with your assumptions but it's the way you stated it like it was a fact is what annoyed me. Also going to oxbridge =/= better career prospects, it is highly dependant on the individual and other factors but again i'm not going to get into this because it's useless trying to argue with such childish statements.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by a10
I have no problem with your assumptions but it's the way you stated it like it was a fact is what annoyed me. Also going to oxbridge =/= better career prospects, it is highly dependant on the individual and other factors but again i'm not going to get into this because it's useless trying to argue with such childish statements.

I don't care if it annoyed you but I assure you I didn't mean for it to come across as I thought it were a fact.
Reply 34
Original post by Marcum
I don't care if it annoyed you but I assure you I didn't mean for it to come across as I thought it were a fact.

I didn't ask you to care either. Our conversation ends here, goodbye! :smile:
Original post by snikutsmullac
So, if I wanted to do law, would it make a difference from an employers perspective if I obtained my degree (assuming it's a 2:1 regardless of where it comes from) from somewhere like Cambridge compared to somewhere like Anglia Ruskin?

I'd have imagined a fair and intelligent employer would THEN assess you from your past experience and your interview. I keep seeing people mention finance and banking wanting the "status" of a top uni but not so sure about law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd have imagined a fair and intelligent employer would THEN assess you from your past experience and your interview. I keep seeing people mention finance and banking wanting the "status" of a top uni but not so sure about law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a relief, because no way am I getting into cambridge any time soon :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending