The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

The LSU Societies thread

Hey everyone!

Have any of you thought if you'd like to join any societies this year? If you have any questions, feel free to ask here and I'll do my best to answer them.

FYI I'm on the committee for ...Fever, the circus skills and fire performance society at Loughborough University. I'm also a part of several other societies and should be able to give you some idea of what to expect this year :smile:

SU (Students' Union) Societies don't generally include competitive sports (these are covered by the AU, the Athletics Union) but there are a few exceptions, which can be checked on the full societies list below.

If anything really useful turns up in conversation, I'll add it to the bottom of this post for your convenience!

The full societies list can be found here: http://www.lsu.co.uk/societies/socslist/

Go to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect for the University Connect tool and find other people on your course at your University.

***NEWS***
It has been confirmed that the Freshers' Bazaar will be held on Sunday 5th October (the day after the Freshers' Ball). The Union will be full of stalls for each Society so you can find out what we do! Come along and find one that interests you!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LSUFever
Hey everyone!

Have any of you thought if you'd like to join any societies this year? If you have any questions, feel free to ask here and I'll do my best to answer them.

FYI I'm on the committee for ...Fever, the circus skills and fire performance society at Loughborough University. I'm also a part of several other societies and should be able to give you some idea of what to expect this year :smile:

SU (Students' Union) Societies don't generally include competitive sports (these are covered by the AU, the Athletics Union) but there are a few exceptions, which can be checked on the full societies list below.

If anything really useful turns up in conversation, I'll add it to the bottom of this post for your convenience!

The full societies list can be found here: http://www.lsu.co.uk/societies/socslist/

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Anyone starting Loughborough this September should certainly check out;

http://www.lsu.co.uk/society/velocity/

The ideal society for anyone interested in transport, travel, aviation and logistics alike.
Reply 3
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:

I'd not seen University Connect but thanks! I'll add it to the OP since it sounds very useful :smile:

Original post by Joelcooper
Anyone starting Loughborough this September should certainly check out;

http://www.lsu.co.uk/society/velocity/

The ideal society for anyone interested in transport, travel, aviation and logistics alike.

Hi Joelcooper! Thanks - Velocity is definitely one of the more practically useful societies as I believe you help to arrange placements in the transport industries for undergraduates and graduates? (Correct me if I'm wrong)
:redface: I'm an international student and I'm not really familiar with this concept of societies, because we don't have that back home
BUT APPARENTLY LOUGHBOROUGH HAS A HIKING CLUB:woo:
I am so going to enjoy my time here:yep:
Reply 5
Original post by LaMandarine
:redface: I'm an international student and I'm not really familiar with this concept of societies, because we don't have that back home
BUT APPARENTLY LOUGHBOROUGH HAS A HIKING CLUB:woo:
I am so going to enjoy my time here:yep:

Yes we do! And from what I know about it, it is quite active. You'll be able to talk to current members at the Freshers' Bazaar on the 5th October, or before if you bump into anyone or talk to them online.

If you like hiking you'll be pleased to know that you can walk out of town into the countryside quite easily from campus. You may like Beacon Hill and the surrounding forest, as well as the other walks around Loughborough.
I'll be honest, looking at the societies has made me twice as pumped for arriving next month. Can't wait tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ThatNorthernLad
I'll be honest, looking at the societies has made me twice as pumped for arriving next month. Can't wait tbh.

That's great to hear! :biggrin: any in particular caught your eye?
That's great to hear! :biggrin: any in particular caught your eye?

At first glance the indoor football and computer societies, both look pretty chill. I'll probably get into interhall sports too.
Reply 9
Original post by ThatNorthernLad
At first glance the indoor football and computer societies, both look pretty chill. I'll probably get into interhall sports too.

I'm obviously biased, but I think here at Fever we're pretty chill :tongue: the SU sports socs will definitely be more relaxed than AU, possibly also more relaxed than IMS (Halls) sports teams. I'm not a member of CompSoc but I have turned up in the middle of LAN parties to say hi and see what they're up to, and they look pretty fun - they must give the local pizza companies some of their best business of the year haha.
alright there ...Fever, don't think i'll let you get all the fun!

we here at the Living History society may not be the most chilled out all the time, i mean, who can be chill on a 12th century battlefield!? but if you fancy chancing your arm with sword and spear then head off to the pub for a well and truly chilled time with a welcoming bunch of folk, and then chill out making all your own kit; try some historical re-enactment!

think the film 'Role Models', only better.

have a look see what you think at http://www.lsu.co.uk/society/livinghistory/
Reply 11
Hey everyone!

Go to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect for the University Connect tool and find other people on your course at your University.

Hey I was wondering if we actually have to do any drinking or whatever to get into a society? I dont drink and don't wanna be forced out or whatever just 'cause I dont drink
Original post by Kim.M
Hey I was wondering if we actually have to do any drinking or whatever to get into a society? I dont drink and don't wanna be forced out or whatever just 'cause I dont drink

loughborough does have quite the reputation, i admit, but it's not actually all that bad. i'll be honest with you, some societies and AU clubs do run 'initiations' which can range from bizarre to down right brutal, but they are never compulsory. if you want to join a society and not drink, that is completely fine, you will never be barred entry from anything for not drinking. any society that tries to enforce anything like that aint worth your time!
Reply 13
Original post by Kim.M

Definitely not. After the 'Better Decisions' campaign of the last few years it is very VERY frowned upon to force freshers to drink alcohol. Furthermore a lot of the SU societies have very little focus on drinking. Not being a part of the Athletics Union I can't speak for them, but I know that there was a similar crackdown on peer pressure drinking so I suspect the case is the same there.

Keep an eye on the Freshers' Week timetable - in previous years the drinking and non-drinking events were put on separate calendars, but this year the two are being combined to make it feel less exclusive. I can't confirm as the timetable hasn't been finalised yet, but non-drinking events can include society taster sessions, "Raveminton" (badminton under blacklights, think UV glow party with sport), picnics, Action (volunteering) days in the forest, RAG (fundraising) raids to other cities, among other things.

As to what to do to get into a society - for AU clubs there is usually some kind of trials (after all, they are nationally competitive societies). However, for SU societies there are none. All clubs and societies need paid membership to join, but the fee can vary wildly depending on the needs of the club or society. AU is generally pricier as membership should include things like better insurance, a kit, training coaches etc while SU only needs these for some societies (i.e. Skydiving). Keep in mind that you are paying for the year, and that you are in pretty much every case getting things for cheaper than you would if you did them independently.

Just to stress this: you should NOT be forced into drinking. It's your choice and you shouldn't feel excluded by it. Our current Treasurer and our old Chair are both teetotal, and they are having/have had a fantastic time here.
Reply 14
Original post by LivingHistory
loughborough does have quite the reputation, i admit, but it's not actually all that bad. i'll be honest with you, some societies and AU clubs do run 'initiations' which can range from bizarre to down right brutal, but they are never compulsory. if you want to join a society and not drink, that is completely fine, you will never be barred entry from anything for not drinking. any society that tries to enforce anything like that aint worth your time!

Thanks LivingHistory, and nice to see you joining the conversation! :smile: Between us, we should be able to answer all the questions haha.
Reply 15
Anybody interested in power kiting/ kite flying/ kite landboarding/buggying? Can't see one on the list!

I've done a bit of landboarding and got all the gear but been out of the game for a couple of years and want to get back into it at uni. Anyone else interested?
Reply 16
Original post by KimC141
Anybody interested in power kiting/ kite flying/ kite landboarding/buggying? Can't see one on the list!

I've done a bit of landboarding and got all the gear but been out of the game for a couple of years and want to get back into it at uni. Anyone else interested?

At the moment I don't believe there is - but that's not a problem. There are a couple of options:

- Approach an existing society who might consider expanding their interests (possibly Skateboarding?) and ask them if they'd be interested in kiteboarding.

- Start your own! Get hold of the Societies President and tell them how awesome it would be to have a kitesurfing society :biggrin: take the initiative! You'll get help to set up from the President and from other Societies people (I wouldn't mind helping a kitesurfing society get off the ground, to be honest).
Reply 17
At the moment I don't believe there is - but that's not a problem. There are a couple of options:

- Approach an existing society who might consider expanding their interests (possibly Skateboarding?) and ask them if they'd be interested in kiteboarding.

- Start your own! Get hold of the Societies President and tell them how awesome it would be to have a kitesurfing society :biggrin: take the initiative! You'll get help to set up from the President and from other Societies people (I wouldn't mind helping a kitesurfing society get off the ground, to be honest).

Cheers! I'll look into it, need somewhere safe and legal to fly that's nearby first. I'm also a sailor so I'll chat to them too!
Original post by KimC141
Cheers! I'll look into it, need somewhere safe and legal to fly that's nearby first. I'm also a sailor so I'll chat to them too!

if you need somewhere safe and legal to fly, check out the Hot Air Ballooning society, they should have all that figured already =]
Reply 19
Original post by KimC141

Original post by LivingHistory
if you need somewhere safe and legal to fly, check out the Hot Air Ballooning society, they should have all that figured already =]

Also Gliding should be able to help there. I have a feeling there is an AU Sailing club already, but I don't know much about it.

Quick Reply

Latest