The Student Room Group

Macbook Air, Macbook Pro or a Windows laptop?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brittanna
It is. But instead, you could buy two or three windows laptops (one of which should be quite pretty). Then you could take the cheaper laptops apart to get the bits that look pretty and then stick those onto the expensive laptop (i'd recommend using cellotape or super glue as they're transparent, but also have the right level of stickyness). So then you have a powerful laptop that looks pretty. As a final step, you could buy some stickers to stick on there to make it look even better. You would probably still have some money left over to buy pens and paper or a lawnmower or something.

:clap2:

Do you have any windows laptop suggestions?
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
It's an extreme comparison but not a stupid one. The difference between a Mac and some of the other laptops suggested in this thread is more like £600 not a couple of hundred. I'm not denying that people have a right to buy them or enjoy owning them, just don't expect me to enthusiastically endorse them when asked what laptop I'd recommend to a student who's just going to use it for browsing and documents.

I never said I expected you to endorse them, but as someone who only browses the web and reads documents, I don't at all think me owning a MacBook was an extravagant or unnecessary purchase and I doubt many people who own them do. If someone has the option to buy one, as OP said her parents were willing to buy it, then me saying that I love mine and would never get anything different is not an extreme comment to make at all. It's not as if I'm telling someone who has to choose between a MacBook or the mortgage, that would be silly of me.
Original post by Mindless Behavior

I'm guessing you don't mean for use in the way mentioned in my previous post :tongue:.

What are the main things you're looking for? Battery life? Weight? Prettyness? Touch screen? And would you want a 13" or a 15" laptop (or are you not that bothered)?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Bet half the people in this thread only buy tesco value stuff.

No comparatively priced windows laptop can compete with the air13 if you care about weight and battery life.
Original post by brittanna
I'm guessing you don't mean for use in the way mentioned in my previous post :tongue:.

What are the main things you're looking for? Battery life? Weight? Prettyness? Touch screen?

A light pretty one with a long battery life would be nice.
When I say a Windows laptop I mean a laptop that runs windows not one of those laptops with all the colourful boxes like a windows phone. I've used one of those and hated it.
A light pretty one with a long battery life would be nice.
When I say a Windows laptop I mean a laptop that runs windows not one of those laptops with all the colourful boxes like a windows phone. I've used one of those and hated it.

If your requirements are light, pretty, and long battery life, I don't think you'll find anything that beats the Macbook Air at the same price.

The colourful boxes thing IS Windows. It can be disabled/hidden so that it works more like older Windows.
Original post by samba

No comparatively priced windows laptop can compete with the air13 if you care about weight and battery life.

Do you have an air? What do you use it for and do you feel that the weight and battery life are worth the price?

It's not my money but I'd feel a little bad if it turns out it was a waste of my parents' money (though they don't mind)
Would I not need something portable while at university? Do you think I should get a tablet as well as a desktop for when I need something portable?

No? Why would you? You've already demonstrated that you think you might need the portability for some reason but have absolutely no idea what that reason is.

Original post by JimmyRushmore
Ignore that advice. Telling someone to bring a desktop to University is ridiculous. A laptop of some description is what you want.

Original post by JimmyRushmore
Exactly, not to mention having to lug the thing around when you're off to Uni, then back home if you want to do any work during the holidays. Laughably bad advice. :grin:

Are you on drugs? Why must you have portability? And it's hardly "lugging" it around. You put it in the back of the care and away you go. You move it, what, 6 times a year - not exactly Atlas trying to haul the Earth around, really.

Original post by lauramercier
Do you have anything other than attacking someone for their personal opinion?

Umm... yeah? See post 2, where I provide some sensible advice rather than "OMG I LOVE MY MAC SO MUCH!". ****ing Macolytes. :colonhash:
Original post by Mad Vlad
No? Why would you? You've already demonstrated that you think you might need the portability for some reason but have absolutely no idea what that reason is.

Are you on drugs? Why must you have portability? And it's hardly "lugging" it around. You put it in the back of the care and away you go. You move it, what, 6 times a year - not exactly Atlas trying to haul the Earth around, really.

Umm... yeah? See post 2, where I provide some sensible advice rather than "OMG I LOVE MY MAC SO MUCH!". ****ing Macolytes. :colonhash:

Telling someone to get a desktop whilst at university it perhaps the worst advice I've heard in a while
The Air '13 is probably your best bet. It will do everything you want it to, build quality is excellent and the Mac operating system is so much better than Windows.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
If your requirements are light, pretty, and long battery life, I don't think you'll find anything that beats the Macbook Air at the same price.

The colourful boxes thing IS Windows. It can be disabled/hidden so that it works more like older Windows.

Oh I didn't know that :colondollar: All the people I know that have windows laptops must have disabled it
Original post by samba

Oh come on, samba, that's a bit of a pretentious and snobby statement. I don't see what that has to do with the price of fish. Typically, students should, owing to the woeful state of their finances, be looking at value for money above all else in these situations.
Telling someone to get a desktop whilst at university it perhaps the worst advice I've heard in a while

Why?

Cheaper.
More powerful.
Pretty much guaranteed to make the distance unlike a laptop.
Generally better build quality.
Hardware is customisable to your requirements.
Better screen.
More storage capacity.
Ergonomically better to work on for long periods.

The only drawback is portability, and frankly I'm a proponent of people listening in lectures and making hand written notes, rather than trying to typing things up.
(edited 9 years ago)
I never said I expected you to endorse them, but as someone who only browses the web and reads documents, I don't at all think me owning a MacBook was an extravagant or unnecessary purchase and I doubt many people who own them do. If someone has the option to buy one, as OP said her parents were willing to buy it, then me saying that I love mine and would never get anything different is not an extreme comment to make at all. It's not as if I'm telling someone who has to choose between a MacBook or the mortgage, that would be silly of me.

It's unnecessary in the sense that you're paying for additional processing power that you won't make use of. I understand that some people aren't bothered by that but I still think it's a valid criticism. I don't have anything against people who buy Macs, if you have the money and find them particularly appealing then why not.
Why?

Because why would you want to restrict yourself to being able to use your computer in one place, whereas at least with a laptop (MacBook or not) you have the ability to use it wherever you want which most people tend to do these days.
You wouldn't download a car.

I would :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why?

Because why would you want to restrict yourself to being able to use your computer in one place, whereas at least with a laptop (MacBook or not) you have the ability to use it wherever you want which most people tend to do these days.

Interfering here... Duh! Get both. I use a laptop for working on the move but a high-spec desktop for intensive work or gaming. But, come on, Laura, moving a desktop around a few times if you need to move it isn't hard.
(edited 9 years ago)

I can do most work on my phone if I really want to, and it's great for leisure and surfing.

I agree that a desktop is the way to go, much faster and cheaper, yes it's not portable but for me anyway, it doesn't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
It's unnecessary in the sense that you're paying for additional processing power that you won't make use of. I understand that some people aren't bothered by that but I still think it's a valid criticism. I don't have anything against people who buy Macs, if you have the money and find them particularly appealing then why not.

Okay, I can understand your point and thank you for being more open minded about the fact that if someone wants one, then why not. I think also, the extra money you spend goes into how it feels. Personally, I've never felt a laptop that feels as well made as an aluminium unibody MacBook does, perhaps I haven't used enough laptops but that's just my personal experience. Also, I love OS X and that counts for a huge reason as to why I decided to get one. But I do appreciate what you're saying too.
Reply 59
Do you have an air? What do you use it for and do you feel that the weight and battery life are worth the price?

It's not my money but I'd feel a little bad if it turns out it was a waste of my parents' money (though they don't mind)

Yea, I just got one. I won't use it for lectures though. I'll use it for work/study and when I'm on the road/abroad.

For me it was worth the price yes. I like a light unit, and feel a battery life of a few hours often isn't enough for me, so those were two key elements. I found the nearest comparable windows laptop to be around £1600, and paid around £700 for a brand new air.

Oh come on, samba, that's a bit of a pretentious and snobby statement. I don't see what that has to do with the price of fish. Typically, students should, owing to the woeful state of their finances, be looking at value for money above all else in these situations.

It's kinda true though, especially as her parents are paying. You're probably well aware I'm by no means a apple fanboy, but I do think it's a good offering, in a market sector that windows systems just don't cover. [cheaply] I assume mobility, decent build quality and all day battery would be important for most students, so yea for me the air13 fits the bill. (I still wouldn't use them in lectures, voice recording and actually focusing on the lecture is king for that)

If there was a similar unit available [or if there is one I'm unaware of] I'd be happy to reconsider my position. To me though, £700 is a solid investment.

In terms of computerised vs handwritten notes, when it comes to revising later... again voice recordings are king, but computerised at least gives some searchability and portability in the notes.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending