The Student Room Group

The Beauty of Turkey

Scroll to see replies

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by swan stardust
Hehe sorry of course :biggrin:
How are the people and the culture like? :h:
Nazim Hihmet's poetry is fantastic and i'd love to visit the country!

First of all,where are you from?! How the hell do you know him?! :biggrin::biggrin: And you asked the most difficult,the "people",thanks :biggrin:

If I had to summarize Turkey in one word I would say "diverse" We share similarities with Mediterraneans,Middle Easterns(Arabs etc.)There are Turkish,Kurdish,Armenian(and ppl from many other nationalities) people in Turkey.My city,Istanbul,is especially a blend of Europe and Asia.And I find this amazing.You can visit an ancient church,mosque or monastery in Turkey and this is what I like most about my country.

What about people?Hmm...I'm the last person to describe a Turkish stereotype since I live in a city that has 14 million ppl :biggrin: I mean there are good people and bad people in such a populous city.People describe the Turkish stereotype like "nationalist to death" "hates the Greek" "strict Muslim" NO.Most of us are not that nationalist,for instance I'm not a bit nationalist :biggrin: I'm an atheist.And in contrary we don't have a prob with Greeks :biggrin: You can meet open-minded,educated people in Turkey or strict conservative people.I just don't like labeling. I have atheist friends,homosexual friends also I have close friends who are wearing head scarves.But there are also women who don't sit next to me on the bus simply because I'm not wearing a head scarf.
(edited 9 years ago)
Truly beautiful.

Original post by Typhoon235
Truly beautiful.

Please...
Original post by swan stardust
I'm from Greece,we're neighbours :h:
He's quite popular here, such a magnificent poet, his writings and life very touching.
Greek cuisine,music and language have been influenced by the turkish culture to a great extent :biggrin: Plus the turkish language is so melodic :h:

Hehe yeah it's a difficult question because each person is different. Totally agree with the not labelling part!
Instabul must be gorgeous indeed! That's how i had it on mind, just like you described it, as a variant blend of scents and cultures! It's amazing that there is such a diversity, is the rest of Turkey like that? :smile:
I get what you mean, here as well, there are some Greek people who are very very close-minded, racist and bigoted and sterotype the others but hopefully not all of them are like that.

How is the situation with the politics like?

Also, i had once watched a turkish film called '' Bal'' which was epic!! :biggrin:

I'm shocked,I didn't know he was that popular in Greece.:eek:
I can't say that rest of Turkey has much diversity,of course each region has its own culture,cuisine etc. but Istanbul is special.I believe in this equation more people=more diversity.

If you mean Gezi protests by politics it's fine.Or do you mean the elections?My secular country would be really fine if a conservative prick weren't trying to ruin it.:frown::frown::frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27

I love Cappadocia and Blue Mosque in Turkey.....
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HarDav143

I love Cappadocia and Blue Mosque in Turkey.....

Cappadocia that is so beautiful
I would like to visit Istanbul for a few days as a Western male solo traveller. Is it safe? Are there Immigration problems for EU citizens arriving/departing Turkey? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. :smile:
Original post by Eboracum
I would like to visit Istanbul for a few days as a Western male solo traveller. Is it safe? Are there Immigration problems for EU citizens arriving/departing Turkey? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. :smile:

Hi, I'm assuming you'll be around touristic sites in Fatih district.Since my uni is there, im traveling to fatih everyday. It's quite safe but be careful anyway, istanbul is very crowded.I don't think you'll have problems with arriving/departing.

Quick Reply

Latest