The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Pre-freshers Earth Sciences Trip 2014

Scroll to see replies

:O more Bristolian Geologists! And you guys all seem so friendly <3 you should come join the Geology group on FB for this year, we're a bit thin on the ground so far, it would be nice if more people joined!

(www.facebook.com/groups/1393938447552435)

With regards to the field trip, I would imagine they would give us the equipment packs beforehand, although it isn't a formal work-filled trip :smile:

Can't wait to meet you all in September!!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
I'll head over there now :smile:
yay!
Hi all!
Yeah, just spent 30 mins working out why I got the wrong answer then I realised the booklet answer was wrong. Page 59 Q3. The answer they put as 15.7m which then needs to be divided by sin(47)

Oh and forget that I'm called Careervet, that was before I discovered the joys of Geology :wink:

Look forward to meeting people for the trip!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by CareerVet
Hi all!
Yeah, just spent 30 mins working out why I got the wrong answer then I realised the booklet answer was wrong. Page 59 Q3. The answer they put as 15.7m which then needs to be divided by sin(47)

Oh and forget that I'm called Careervet, that was before I discovered the joys of Geology :wink:

I got 15.7m as the answer for that question:confused:, have you tried the pH question Q3 page 32? I'm pretty sure the answer in the back is wrong for that one, but it might be just me.
Original post by Kiwi789
I got 15.7m as the answer for that question:confused:, have you tried the pH question Q3 page 32? I'm pretty sure the answer in the back is wrong for that one, but it might be just me.

Oh right, could you explain how you got 15.7m. Thanks
I'll try the pH question and I'll get back to you about that.
Reply 26
Oh right, could you explain how you got 15.7m. Thanks
I'll try the pH question and I'll get back to you about that.

the 15.7m question isn't particularly well phrased, and looking at it again I am a bit confused. But the formula I was used was cos47 x 23 (= 15.68596228 ~ 15.7). It seems to go against intuition because it's measuring the horizontal, but I dunno:confused:.
Hello!
I want to study Geology.
What GCSE's did you get?
Will not taking maths at AS stop me from doing geology??
Starting AS in september:smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Marcusroye98
Hello!
I want to study Geology.
What GCSE's did you get?
Will not taking maths at AS stop me from doing geology??
Starting AS in september:smile:

Maths helps as you will definitely be using it in the course, but it is not essential, there are several people on this thread who haven't done maths since GCSE and they all got in fine.

I can't answer the GCSE question though as I never took them :s-smilie: (I was living in a different country at the time, so I've got A levels but not the former). This thread is specific to Bristol University, so I'll tell you what I know about their requirements: 20% of their requirements will be based on your GCSE results, the remaining 80% is A-levels, so GCSE results are particularly important compared to A level results to Bristol. In fact the GCSE requirements aren't even mentioned in the newest Bristol pages for the subject.
:smile:
Original post by Kiwi789
Maths helps as you will definitely be using it in the course, but it is not essential, there are several people on this thread who haven't done maths since GCSE and they all got in fine.

I can't answer the GCSE question though as I never took them :s-smilie: (I was living in a different country at the time, so I've got A levels but not the former). This thread is specific to Bristol University, so I'll tell you what I know about their requirements: 20% of their requirements will be based on your GCSE results, the remaining 80% is A-levels, so GCSE results are particularly important compared to A level results to Bristol. In fact the GCSE requirements aren't even mentioned in the newest Bristol pages for the subject.
:smile:

Thank-you!
I was looking at Bristol because i know they have a very strong Volcanology group which i am really interested in!
I found GCSE maths very boring and if i took it for AS i think i would struggle. Hopefully chemistry and geology A level will teach me some of the maths required :smile:
Reply 30
Currently a Bristol geologist going into second year, I have almost all of the first year books which I will be looking to get rid of at the start of first term this year. If anyone is interested in any of the books on the reading list send me a message!
Original post by bleap
Currently a Bristol geologist going into second year, I have almost all of the first year books which I will be looking to get rid of at the start of first term this year. If anyone is interested in any of the books on the reading list send me a message!

I would love some books!
Hi all!

Im really not enjoying the booklet. Loads of things are wrong and it's frustrating, didn't do maths Alevel either :/
Reply 33
Original post by bleap

Heya, :biggrin:
would you say as a second year geology student,that you needed all the books for first year or is it possible to borrow most of the books from the library? Did you end up reading all the books from the reading list or just paragraphs that are relative to the lesson at the time? Thanks.
Reply 34
Alright, its the final week before the start of term, and even less time till the field trip starts. Who here is ready? I've finally bought myself some waterproofs, they don't look very dignified but I don't think they're supposed to. Where has everyone else got their accommodation? I'll be staying in Clifton Hill House.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest