The Student Room Group

Refused student loan

I have applied and been accepted to top up my HND to a Bsc Hon degree and it is a one year course but when I checked my loan application it says zero entitlement due to ELQ. I have rang student finance this morning but they are doing maintenance so can't check my account, I have looked all over the the internet and as far as I can see I should be entitled to help as I am doing a higher level qualification, has anybody been or is in the same situation as this and what was your outcome. Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
An HND is seen as the equivalent of the first two years of an undergrad degree. If you were starting a new degree from scratch, under the ELQ rule you wouldn't get funding for the first two years of a new degree course, but you should get funding for the third year.

However I don't see the problem with funding for a single top-up year, which is the equivalent of your third funded year which you don't already have.

I think SF got it wrong. You just need to wait for them to finish the system maintenance and check their records. They do make mistakes and based on what you've told us, that seems to be the case here.

If you can wade through them, these are the official guidelines from which assessors should be working:
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/695278/sfe_assessing_eligibility_guidance_14-15_v1.2__final.pdf
Original post by Klix88
An HND is seen as the equivalent of the first two years of an undergrad degree. If you were starting a new degree from scratch, under the ELQ rule you wouldn't get funding for the first two years of a new degree course, but you should get funding for the third year.

However I don't see the problem with funding for a single top-up year, which is the equivalent of your third funded year which you don't already have.

I think SF got it wrong. You just need to wait for them to finish the system maintenance and check their records. They do make mistakes and based on what you've told us, that seems to be the case here.

If you can wade through them, these are the official guidelines from which assessors should be working:
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/695278/sfe_assessing_eligibility_guidance_14-15_v1.2__final.pdf

... This is irrelevant to the thread (kind of) but could you possibly help me? I really don't understand student finance. I've applied and been accepted, but I just don't understand a lot of things. My halls are £130 a week. According to SF, they'll pay the uni (Glasgow) £6750 in tuition fees, and then they'll pay me £3610 in living costs. How does this all work? What money do I actually get?

I need to pay a £450 deposit to secure my room in halls, but it's a prepayment and so doesn't get refunded.... I don't understand? Sorry for all the questions, I probably sound really stupid. Thanks :smile:
Original post by jayde_tasmin
... This is irrelevant to the thread (kind of) but could you possibly help me? I really don't understand student finance. I've applied and been accepted, but I just don't understand a lot of things. My halls are £130 a week. According to SF, they'll pay the uni (Glasgow) £6750 in tuition fees, and then they'll pay me £3610 in living costs. How does this all work? What money do I actually get?

I need to pay a £450 deposit to secure my room in halls, but it's a prepayment and so doesn't get refunded.... I don't understand? Sorry for all the questions, I probably sound really stupid. Thanks :smile:

student finance is based on household income, not how much your halls cost. You see the maintainance cost- the £3610 sounds like its non income assessed which means your household income is £60,000+ if its less check you've applied to be means tested. The deposit needs to be paid by you before you get student finance.
Thanks for your reply I sorted it I had put the wrong course I had put the code for the foundation degree instead of the bsc top up. So fingers crossed it gets sorted soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending