The Student Room Group

How to Write a Research Paper

First, Pick Your Topic

1. Try to pick a topic.
2. Once you have a topic, you need to narrow it down to something more manageable. For example, you are assigned to write a 10-page paper, and you decide to have the topic of Ancient Egypt. However, Ancient Egypt is too big for your 10-page paper. So you have to focus on something more specific.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
[h="3"]Second, Find references[/h]1. Go to library. Use the electronic catalog or browse the shelves to look for books on your topic. If you find a book that is useful, check the bibliography (list of sources) in the back of that book for other books or articles on that topic.
2. Find on the internet. There is much useful information on the internet. Some papers, journals and books are open access. You need not pay for these sources. You could visit this journal SciencePG(http://www.sciencepublishinggroup.com/home/index.aspx?utm_source=forum&event=sm&time=08162014). The website has many categories of referring journals.
Reply 2
[h="3"]Third, organize Your Ideas[/h]Write down all the main ideas in your mind. Avoid any repetition.
Reply 3
[h="3"]Fourth, write a Draft[/h]A paper should at least include four parts: Introduction, keywords, main body, conclusion.
Reply 4
[h="3"]Fifth, write a bibliography[/h]A bibliography is a list of the sources you used to get information for your report. It is the last part of your paper.
Reply 5
[h="3"]At last, revise the draft[/h]Make sure there is no any grammar mistake or spelling mistake in the paper. And Pay attention to the format. If the paper is disordered, it’s a hard work for readers. By the way, you could send your paper to someone, they will help you to reformat, like Joanna from this journal I know.
Original post by forum queen
Fourth, write a Draft

A paper should at least include four parts: Introduction, keywords, main body, conclusion.

Is there a reason you feel the need to post each step/stage on an individual post?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Finally, wish you good luck. Hope it works for your paper writing.
Reply 8
You're describing how to write an essay. To my mind, a research paper is a different beast at postgrad level - it implies a level of originality worthy of publication or a conference paper.

Your advice would be better placed in an undergrad forum. If we couldn't already do what you're describing - and to a high level - it's unlikely that we would have made it to postgrad level at all.
Reply 9
P.S. You've missed referencing, without which your paper will be failed. At worst you'll be accused of plagiarism and face disciplinary action. No journal would touch it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
P.S. You've missed referencing, without which your paper will be failed. At worst you'll be accused of plagiarism and face disciplinary action. No journal would touch it.

I don't know if you was writing this early or not, but they did actually include the bibliography, which would be the referencing. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Binary Freak
I don't know if you was writing this early or not, but they did actually include the bibliography, which would be the referencing. :smile:

Producing a bibliography is only half of the referencing task. I'm sure you already know what's missing from the instruction :wink:

I reiterate - no postgrad needs to be told any of this. "Go to the library" indeed!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
Producing a bibliography is only half of the referencing task. I'm sure you already know what's missing from the instruction :wink:

I reiterate - no postgrad needs to be told any of this. "Go to the library" indeed!

Well, I can find plenty of things missing from this, I've been following the structure of research papers for a year or two now. It's in preparation for when the time comes to write mine :bigsmile:
Reply 13
Original post by Klix88

I'm a little nervous
Reply 14

I'm a little nervous
Reply 15
I'm a little nervous

If you're applying for a UK postgrad and you think your posts are new skills, you probably should be. If you haven't already been doing what you describe (only better), then your undergrad hasn't adequately prepared you for postgrad study.
I'm a little nervous

Why?!?!
Reply 17
Original post by Klix88
If you're applying for a UK postgrad and you think your posts are new skills, you probably should be. If you haven't already been doing what you describe (only better), then your undergrad hasn't adequately prepared you for postgrad study.

Thank you very much for all your good suggestions. I would appreciate that if you tell all the places I should correct. I try to do a favor for people who wants to write a research paper.
Reply 18
Is there a reason you feel the need to post each step/stage on an individual post?

Thank you very much for all your good suggestions. I would appreciate that if you tell all the places I should correct. I try to do a favor for people who wants to write a research paper.
Reply 19

This is what your current academic staff are for. Establishing a working relationship with the people who set, mark and give feedback on your coursework would be the most valuable outcome for you. You need to go and talk to them about your ideas and take their advice on corrections.

You're in the Postgrad section, so few people here will need the type of basic (and incomplete) info which you're giving. I'm sure it was a kind thought but it would be better placed elsewhere, once you have more experience of successful academic writing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending